Erratic idle after 351?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I think you found the problem, but it broke again..... ACR. Fix it this time.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Nope. Problem was no spark. Plug fouled. Remember I had this thing jetted assuming a lean condition, but the real issue was the tight valves. Valves in spec and now it's running way too rich. Will be swapping out pilot jet and adjusting needle back. It is running for now, but it will keep eating spark plugs until I get the jetting sorted. Just need to find time to pull the carb.

Running iridium plugs to resist fouling. And keep spares and a 16mm with me at all times while riding. So grateful the plug is so easy to get to on this thing. No need to remove anything.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:41 PM
red
1st Gear Member

glad you know what the problem is now

Old 03-05-2012, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, but here's a weird mystery: I can turn the a/f screw all the way in and the bike won't die...

Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lauriejennifer
Oh, but here's a weird mystery: I can turn the a/f screw all the way in and the bike won't die...
I could do that to with the #38 pilot on the 250. It was too rich and I could turn it all the way in. Went back to #35 and I couldn't tell you if it would die or not because I never tried, but got very close to full in and it still ran.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, it's a half turn out right now. I'll be putting in a smaller jet and adjusting the needle seat height and it should be much better. I still want to get this thing on a Dyno so that I can get some solid numbers to go off of.

Last edited by lauriejennifer; 03-06-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Me fail English? That's unpossible!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Just ordered a new CCT, too. Ugh. Thank goodness for employee discount. I know I'm not the only one who keeps going through these like candy. I've heard rumors of a manual tensioner for the 09-present models??

Also, am I the only one who has had the valves go out of spec every 3k-4k miles since new? Even before changing anything on this bike (except the front brake line), I've needed new shims every 4k miles, tops. You'd think the point of the shim-into-bucket style is that they *don't* go out of spec so often, but mine always have.

My friend's ZX6R is the same way. Always horribly out of spec whenever he does a valve adjustment. He's a certified mechanic and this is his first Kawi and he is not impressed with the top end. Says it's the first bike he's owned that needs new shims this often. Eek. I'm a big Kawi fan and this isn't my first Kawi, but it's definitely something I've noticed, too. Any tips? Anyone else experiencing the same thing with their green machine?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lauriejennifer
Just ordered a new CCT, too. Ugh. Thank goodness for employee discount. I know I'm not the only one who keeps going through these like candy. I've heard rumors of a manual tensioner for the 09-present models??
Krieger makes a manual cam chain tensioner. Great product, great price.
kriegercamchaintensioners.com
A bunch of us here have them. His site doesn't list the KLX250, but he has them. Thanks to TNC for working with him on the design.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

New tensioner, much quieter. Still need to swap out pilot jet, but needle and main seem fairly dialed in. Oil change today, air filter change tomorrow. Ah, spring...

Still odd top end noise. Now that the cam chain is no longer all clickity-click and the valves are in spec, I am hearing all sorts of other noises. LOL Not sure if they are healthy or normal noises, as I've been used to "bad" noises. Heh.

Anyway, the bike is running marvelously otherwise, aside from running rich in the pilot circuit. Here's the latest of the bike in action, big bore kit and all:
WEST BOTTOMS SUNDAY: Why I Don't Miss My Ninja - YouTube

Old 06-10-2012, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Bad new update.

I'm already in need of my third top end rebuild... in 5,000 miles. This latest one has lasted the longest, nearly 3,000 miles. But, I'm done. Bad scarring on the cylinder wall, almost through the sleeve. Barely 100psi compression test. Runs worse than when it was a 250. Completely gutless, terrible compression.

I'm NOT going to rebuild it yet again. With how many problems I've been having, I'm jumping ship entirely and trying a different company. I'm getting a new jug and going with Kustom Kraft's 330 kit.

Really sour about this. This bike has been basically unrideable and unreliable since I put this kit in, all related to bad compression issues (which were mistaken for jetting issues). I know others have had this kit for a while with no issues, but I apparently got a lemon(s, make that plural), and it's left a sour taste in my mouth. I hate when you're the one person who gets the one-off, but there it is.

Kustom Kraft, don't do me wrong!

Quick Reply: Erratic idle after 351?