Erratic idle after 351?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Before the big bore, the only performance mods were snorkel removed, rejetted, FMF Q4, and 13t front sprocket.

Even going up 2 teeth in the front sprocket now, I still have massive upgrades from before. It shaved about 3 seconds off my 0-60. Sheesh. Totally worth the $700ish bucks for the bore and carb.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

LJ, what did u do in terms of turn signals.... i need new ones after i high sided my bike, n now i plan on purchasing a FMF in the near future, so i was curious to see ur remedy to the melt down u encountered.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

For now, it's hand signals. Haha! I just got a cheap pair of Bike Master generic turn signals for about $20. Just haven't bothered installing them, as Illinois has no vehicle inspection for motorcycles, and Missouri doesn't require turn signals. >.>

Old 10-15-2011, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lauriejennifer
Missouri doesn't require turn signals. >.>

Or mirrors. My were vibrated so bad at speed they were essentially useless so i ditched mine.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member

eh... worth a shot, here in Michigan u do need them however

and i wouldn't consider riding without them anyways, u can't hand signal d$ck at night.

but we don't have bike inspections either... only if ur converting a off-road machine to on road, u need to prove its road capable for the title purposes, but thats it

Old 02-02-2012, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Not to resurrect a dead horse, but..

Here's an update. The bike was too lean. Now it's a bit rich, but still the same problem. Anyway, here's a update of the troubleshooting I've tried so far, with a video example of how it stalls:

Ghosts in the Machine ([Super]motovlog!) - YouTube

Yes, I'm still stumped. I'm not changing jets again until I get this thing dyno'ed. Also going to replace all fuel lines and give the tank a good cleaning and check the petcock and float height. Anything else I'm missing? *headscratch*

Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lauriejennifer
Not to resurrect a dead horse, but..

Here's an update. The bike was too lean. Now it's a bit rich, but still the same problem. Anyway, here's a update of the troubleshooting I've tried so far, with a video example of how it stalls:

Ghosts in the Machine ([Super]motovlog!) - YouTube

Yes, I'm still stumped. I'm not changing jets again until I get this thing dyno'ed. Also going to replace all fuel lines and give the tank a good cleaning and check the petcock and float height. Anything else I'm missing? *headscratch*

I must say, you are kinda entertaining..... "and uhhh your car is smoking"... I dont know if i can be of any help.. but just thought id say that. Have you tried to turn your idle up just a bit? My nighthawk would stall sometimes turns out thats all it was. When i would cruise along and pull the clutch in it would just let the idle fall too low too fast and die. That was super annoying because the starter was messed up and wouldnt work when hot.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I must say, you are kinda entertaining..... "and uhhh your car is smoking"... I dont know if i can be of any help.. but just thought id say that. Have you tried to turn your idle up just a bit? My nighthawk would stall sometimes turns out thats all it was. When i would cruise along and pull the clutch in it would just let the idle fall too low too fast and die. That was super annoying because the starter was messed up and wouldnt work when hot.

Heh. Glad my squirrel moments continue to entertain.

I actually have an extension on the idle screw that I can reach down and adjust without having to get off the bike or anything. Even if I turn the idle up to 2k, it will still erratically wander all over the place and "miss" and stall. The only difference is that it revs higher first. LOL *sigh*

I am taking this thing to the dyno as soon as I can afford to do so. That will remove all this guess work from rejetting.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

42 is too much I'm afraid for the pilot I'd start with a 38 and see where it is at.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
42 is too much I'm afraid for the pilot I'd start with a 38 and see where it is at.
It was running too lean with 40, so I went up a size. 38 would have been even leaner. I was baffled, too.

Quick Reply: Erratic idle after 351?