Erratic idle after 351?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think it has anything to do with the kit, since it ran great for the first 300-400 miles. I think this is something on my particular machine. Bill has been a stand up guy who goes above and beyond customer service. He's also a brilliant mechanic. I watched him put this thing together and had a great time hanging out with him. I would highly recommend his kits to anyone who wants to turn this snail into a real screamer.

A few things to consider:

My bike already has over 25,000 miles on it.

My bike is ridden all year, and road salt is not kind to exposed engine and electical components.

I ride the s*** out of my bike on the track (road track) about 5 times a year.

I take my bike on long road trips.

In other words, I am not surprised to have issues around the 25k mark, especially with the abuse I put this thing through. I do not think it has anything to do with the upgrade. It is probably something as simple as dirt in the tank/lines, or an electrical failure from salt corrosion (already happened to me once).

Do not blame the kit and do not hesitate to get it.

Abusing my bike for things it wasn't designed for:

Old 10-11-2011, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with your assessment...it's not the 351 kit. It's an electrical gremlin, or a fuel flow/venting problem. I sure hope you find it before you pull your hair out. Stay away from sledge hammers until you get it fixed.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LikesToThump
kinda late in the topic... but what do u mean by a cracked sleeve... is this perhaps some of the risk rearing its head in a unlikely way, due to the fact that the 351 actually runs a "wet" sleeve compared to all the smaller bore kits...?
No. It was a specific screw up on a select few big bore kits on the part of Advanced Sleeve. Not Bill's fault and it has already been addressed. Zero issues with my new sleeve.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member

kinda late in the topic... but what do u mean by a cracked sleeve... is this perhaps some of the risk rearing its head in a unlikely way, due to the fact that the 351 actually runs a "wet" sleeve compared to all the smaller bore kits...?

No. It was a specific screw up on Advanced Sleeve's part that only affected a small and specific number of big bore kits. Already addressed by Bill and zero issues with my new sleeve. Not Bill's fault, either. Advanced messed up an order batch and pull the wrong material when making the sleeves for that order. Like I said, already addressed, corrected, and reimbursed.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

No. It was a specific screw up on Advanced Sleeve's part that only affected a small and specific number of big bore kits. Already addressed by Bill and zero issues with my new sleeve. Not Bill's fault, either. Advanced messed up an order batch and pull the wrong material when making the sleeves for that order. Like I said, already addressed, corrected, and reimbursed.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Old 10-12-2011, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I have had issues with the cam chain before. It may just be a bit stretched and time for a new one. Still might be something as simple as a failing ignition coil, though.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to ignition coil, igniter (aka, CDI box), or loose cam chain. Or, perhaps a combo of all of the above.

I also think it's a timing issue, because I think it's wandering past TDC on sudden decel... not if I just let off the throttle and let it engine brake, but if I pull the clutch in and let the RPMs drop suddenly, it will stall. Every time, once warm. Intermittently, if cold.

I can now get a fairly steady idle otherwise. And if I just keep giving it a bit of throttle while coasting to a stop with the clutch in, it won't die. Then, if I ease off the throttle slowly, it won't die. It's going from half-throttle to clutch in and coasting that seems to be killing it... but only after the engine is warm.

Also, it is becoming increasingly hard starting. It also doesn't like to stay started initially. It turns over freely, but doesn't "catch" (a chick's term for "fires up, or 'actually starts'"). Or, it will often catch briefly and with quickly rising RPMs... only to drop back off and die immediately. $((*#&$@(*& %)(&#

#$O(#$&*%#$*( !!!!!

So, in conclusion:

-Hard starting

-Fairly steady idle. Probably just some more minor jetting and a/f screw adjusting as far as that goes.

-Once warm, the engine will stall IMMEDIATELY if you let the RPMs drop suddenly. For example, cruising at 35mph. Red light ahead. Pull clutch in to coast. RPMs drop off completely in less than 3 seconds and engine is "dead." Hard restarting.

Last edited by lauriejennifer; 10-12-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-12-2011, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

This also sounds a bit like tight valve clearances. I forget if you have checked them lately.....too lazy to go back and read...

Old 10-12-2011, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Checked and adjusted less than 50 miles ago.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Quick Reply: Erratic idle after 351?