Epic FAIL, Cliffsta style.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Nuthin that big NB....my come along weighs about a pound .... it is technically one of those ratcheting heavy duty tie down straps you can get from Home Depot.

2" wide nylon strap with ratcheting mechanism.....get the yellow one....it can reach out about 30' to a tree and is rated for a lot of pull, more than the bike weighs by a long shot.....it has saved my azzz riding alone several times.

Sometimes ya gotta ratchet till you fill up the spool.....reset and ratchet again...ya know what I'm saying? Not way fun...but sure does beat hiking in the swamp.

Aha, gotcha, good idea! Could be used as a towing strap too if you break down and are with a buddy.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Well when it fell back in on the way back around (I tried riding the edge and it slid out from underneath me, and squished me into the mud ) my uncle hopped on, put it in 2nd, and ran it wide open, he was able to walk it out on the less-nasty side.

That come-along looks like a great idea, I may have to figure out how to carry one. I always have the cellular when we ride, pops has his, too, so in case one of us crashes and kills the phone, we have another. Its amazing that we can get signal on the entire loop.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Edit: Found It

This is the one I have 2" strap with 30' of reach....working load of 3300 lbs..lol

link to purchase....not on the HD site....all ya klx'ers should carry one too.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/ratche...hook-p-23.html
That's a good Idea FM. We use those all the time at the job, but I never stopped to consider how much pulling power that ratchet has. I think the handle on that one looks a bit beefier than the ones we use, but I'm sure it's just a matter of paying a few extra duckets to get the right one.

Cool!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
Well when it fell back in on the way back around (I tried riding the edge and it slid out from underneath me, and squished me into the mud ) my uncle hopped on, put it in 2nd, and ran it wide open, he was able to walk it out on the less-nasty side.

That come-along looks like a great idea, I may have to figure out how to carry one. I always have the cellular when we ride, pops has his, too, so in case one of us crashes and kills the phone, we have another. Its amazing that we can get signal on the entire loop.

Aw well, 'no guts, no glory' but I s'pose it's not too much fun while it's happening. You'll have another good story to tell now though, and you killed two birds with one stone by properly baptizing the bike!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Great story, but it makes me squirm because it reminds me of the time this happened to me. Years ago I was riding 'two up' with my girlfriend on the back of my Yamaha DT 400. I took the liberty of riding in a conservation area when a 'yogi' flagged me down and started chasing me. I headed in the other direction into a swamp and ended up like you. Luckily two kids helped me pull the bike out (up to our crotches in mud) so I gave them $5, which is probably like $50 now.

My girlfriend wasn't impressed, but at least I have a story to tell.

I still turned out ok.

cheers, Trevi

Old 01-04-2009, 02:12 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

How did I miss this post?..........oh yea it's about mud. Mud bad....Deej smash mud.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trevi
Great story, but it makes me squirm because it reminds me of the time this happened to me. Years ago I was riding 'two up' with my girlfriend on the back of my Yamaha DT 400. I took the liberty of riding in a conservation area when a 'yogi' flagged me down and started chasing me.
I was actually hoping the Yogi would have pulled up, ours is VERY friendly and he's cool with me and my dad, we always wave and stop to talk to him. That's why I went walking down the road, hoping to see him or somebody riding a 4-wheeler. I probably passed 25 4-wheelers on the trails before this, and of course while I'm knee-deep in mud, there isn't one to be found

I couldn't imagine what would have happened if I fell in this with the stock gearing and tires. Yikes.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:58 AM
1st Gear Member

nice slophole

Old 01-04-2009, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default tugger straps

Hey guys, I just installed these straps from Highline Recreation.
http://www.thetugger.com/index.htm
They fit great and feel strong! Next time i get it stuck, might help to have something to pull on.
Sorry no pics right now.