Engineering Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Make a main jet that we can adjust from outside the carburetor. Range from like 118-128 or somethin.
That would be an interesting project that could be done in a yr study I would imagine. My suggestion would be to have one size of main jet, then have a retractable needle in the slide that would effectively controlling the amount of fuel passing through the main jet.

It could be controlled with electronically or manually from adj the engine.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:22 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Make a main jet that we can adjust from outside the carburetor. Range from like 118-128 or somethin.
Isn't that called Fuel Injection?

Old 07-08-2013, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Isn't that called Fuel Injection?
no. yes. maybe

Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 07-08-2013, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

my idea!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old 07-10-2013, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLX 250s
As far as I have read you guys are always removing the ram and drilling the box or hacking at it! How about a tunable air box or lid! Simple flow bench work would help inn the design! Could be an easily marketed unit also!
I've had the idea of adding reeds to the airbox lid. Maybe make a new same-sized hole as what's there now directly over the filter, and put the reed cage in where the original hole used to be.

I might have to mold a new lid out of part A/B plastic if I just want to use the reeds themselves.

Anyway it seems it'd be a sort vacuum secondaries effect, opening on demand, and potentially tuneable depending on where you put the hold down strip of metal giving the reed more/less flexibility.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Richard Avatar
I've had the idea of adding reeds to the airbox lid. Maybe make a new same-sized hole as what's there now directly over the filter, and put the reed cage in where the original hole used to be.

I might have to mold a new lid out of part A/B plastic if I just want to use the reeds themselves.

Anyway it seems it'd be a sort vacuum secondaries effect, opening on demand, and potentially tuneable depending on where you put the hold down strip of metal giving the reed more/less flexibility.

I don't know...most of these engines like a big ol' gulp of air from a dead air space when the throttle is whacked open...and that's without any hesitation. I think a flapper valve of any kind...if I'm understanding correctly...will interfere with optimum air intake on the KLX.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 AM
1st Gear Member

There'd still be hole the size of how it came from the factory. So the airbox full of air would be available. For CV carbs the reeds might maintain a slight vacuum.

It'd have to be better than just the original hole in the lid.

Actually I bought a used 8 petal reed cage off eBay and new low-cost OE reeds to fit it. But it's two months before they get here. Hopefully my enthusiasm will hold out for that long. But there's a TM36-68 in the same box, so I may not have the patience to be experimenting with the lid and CVK.

Last edited by Richard Avatar; 07-10-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

It would be cool to do a project on your own bike. I'm gonna be a junior engineering student and I'm on the FSAE team at my school. I know one of the things our seniors have done is tune the intake and exhaust for our cbr600rr engine. It would be really cool if you could show optimized headers and airbox (if any airbox at all) for the new jetting and pipe you put on. It would be especially cool if you tested if the recommended jetting in the kit is actually optimum for your location and elevation.

Flow optimization would be really cool, and I heard CFD's or any intense FEA usually makes senior projects look really good. Of course your school will need to have an FSAE team with a dyno or you will need to get a local shop to help you out with this one lol.