Engineering Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't fear the future, embrace it!

Re: Audi electro/exhaust turbo... where in the world are you planning on putting all that piping spaggetti?

Last edited by durielk; 06-29-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Don't fear the future, embrace it!

Re: Audi electro/exhaust turbo... where in the world are you planning on putting all that piping spaggetti?
That's what engineering is all about, figuring out how to do something.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
That's what engineering is all about, figuring out how to do something.
Yes! And GOOD Engineering is about figuring out how to do the most with the least!

Old 06-30-2013, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
Yes! And GOOD Engineering is about figuring out how to do the most with the least!
And GREAT engineering is doing the most with the least....for cheap

Old 06-30-2013, 02:48 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
And GREAT engineering is doing the most with the least....for cheap
Down here we call that redneck fixin.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

If the design is going to mimic an Audi, forget about the rednecks or "cheap"!

Old 06-30-2013, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I fear we're getting a little off topic here talking about turbo/super charging as it's highly unlikely a 1 year 1 person project is going to be able to do anything like that. But the suggestion of it does beg the question - why go down the route of overcoming the engineering hurdles presented by trying to go the charging route when there is still so much power on left on the table with normally-aspirated engines? I mean, look at the simplicity of Marcelino's stock KLX camshaft mod (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...rcelino-35904/) and how much more power it is extracting from our stock motor. Next step is the slightly more engineered re-ground cams like the webcams, but even that is tinkering on the edges of an almost antiquated technological solution to timing the fueling/exhaust portions of the combustion cycle. Motor vehicles, that you can add a bit of extra weight to without much notice have seen the development of variable cam timing, but even that is generally a variation on the same old camshaft principle - and it's not practical for out single cylinder KLX engine due to the extra weight and complexity it adds, which would effectively negate any advantaged garnered from the increased power output of the engine. I recently came across this video which talks about the development of "free valve" technology by Koenigsegg, the super/hyper car manufacturer:

Now there is a technology worth investigating for motorcycles! It reduces the weight of the engine while significantly increasing the power output. And without the disadvantages of super/turbo charging such as getting the air/fuel ratio's right throughout the rev range, extra cooling, lag and over-boost, etc. This would be a FAR smarter avenue to explore to increase the engine power output in my opinion.

But as I said, talking about things like this is getting off topic as it's just not something that anyone other than an engineering expert with a LOT of time, money, and drive is ever going to be able to do. Still, interesting.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Tunable air box!

As far as I have read you guys are always removing the ram and drilling the box or hacking at it! How about a tunable air box or lid! Simple flow bench work would help inn the design! Could be an easily marketed unit also!

Old 07-08-2013, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLX 250s
As far as I have read you guys are always removing the ram and drilling the box or hacking at it! How about a tunable air box or lid! Simple flow bench work would help inn the design! Could be an easily marketed unit also!
Make a main jet that we can adjust from outside the carburetor. Range from like 118-128 or somethin.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Make a main jet that we can adjust from outside the carburetor. Range from like 118-128 or somethin.
ever heard of dial-a-jet?

Quick Reply: Engineering Project