Engine sounds good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 01:35 AM
MXM
1st Gear Member
Default Engine sounds good or bad?

Engine sound:

Bike is a 330cc kit and has a kriega MCCT fitted. But does this engine sound right or needs inspection?

Bike only has 15 k km. About 2k on the 330 kit

Old 02-18-2024, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I would go through the adjustment procedure on the CCT.
My 351 varies on the amount of clatter it makes from cold to operating temps.

Old 02-18-2024, 02:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Read the instructions on the fine tune... Fire up the bike and warm it up, then crack the locking nut loose, slowly turn the adjuster bolt in until the clicking goes away. It should grow quieter bit by bit. Once quiet, hold the adjustment and tighten the locking nut down against the body. It does sound like the cam chain is loose. It definitely should quiet down as the adjuster bolt is turned in, but do not overtighten it. You might even feel the tapping on the adjuster bolt. It will go away there too. I've both felt and heard the tapping go away when I did a Kaw Eliminator 900.

If you don't have the instructions here is a link. click here Odds are you may use an allen wrench, just work very gently, the adjuster bolt should never be tight with an allen wrench. If you construct the "special tool" setup that TNC did in the instruction, do not use a ratchet, just turn the end of the extension by hand. All you are doing is taking the slack out of the cam drive, not putting any tension on the chain.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:09 AM
MXM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Read the instructions on the fine tune... Fire up the bike and warm it up, then crack the locking nut loose, slowly turn the adjuster bolt in until the clicking goes away. It should grow quieter bit by bit. Once quiet, hold the adjustment and tighten the locking nut down against the body. It does sound like the cam chain is loose. It definitely should quiet down as the adjuster bolt is turned in, but do not overtighten it. You might even feel the tapping on the adjuster bolt. It will go away there too. I've both felt and heard the tapping go away when I did a Kaw Eliminator 900.

If you don't have the instructions here is a link. click here Odds are you may use an allen wrench, just work very gently, the adjuster bolt should never be tight with an allen wrench. If you construct the "special tool" setup that TNC did in the instruction, do not use a ratchet, just turn the end of the extension by hand. All you are doing is taking the slack out of the cam drive, not putting any tension on the chain.
Thanks for the detailed write up and link to instructions. My mechanic visited today, read everything you provided and adjusted while I watched. He was very cautious not to overtighten. The bike sounds like it is normal again 🙏