Engine Drone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Engine Drone?

G'day. I'm new to the forum, and also new to the KLX250S world. Just got a new 2009 KLX250s, in May. Put on about 3000 kms on it, had the first service at 1000 or so kms.

Here's my question to ya'll. I have been riding mostly trails, old railway turned into multi use trails. I hit the highway the other day, coming back from a ride, and was doing about 90km/hour in 5th, then 6th doing about 100km (60mph).

I noticed that at a sustained throttle on a long highway, at about 6800-7500 RPM I get a resonating drone. The engine seems to make a tone noise, like, Rrrow, Rrrow, Rrrow, Rrrow (if that MAKES ANY SENSE phonetically). Basically, it sounds like an up down slow drone...like it's resonating. Or, in tune with something else... ya know? It will do it at lower speeds too, in that RPM range... but, I notice it more on the open road.

Someone told me that's just a one cylinder feature... The dealer took it out with my description, and said, "There's nothing wrong with your bike".

Ok . . .maybe I'm used to the 600CBR 4 cylinder smoothness..

Anyone else notice this?

AND, also, when warmed up, and if I stall it on takeoff (not that often, but, sometimes I get distracted, and don't get the perfect clutch engagement and I stall, it's a pain to start. Takes about 4 tries to start up again.

Thanks.
Tim

Old 07-11-2010, 10:59 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

There are several things on our bikes that can make that drone or the combination of several, if I'm getting your drift. I hear it on mine and every KLR600/650 I owned. The single cylinder issue is probably the biggest. Thumpers seem to emit this changing, sometimes rythmic tone more than other bikes I've owned with multicylinders. There is also the chain and sprockets. I tend to notice this some on almost every bike I've owned without a driveshaft. Because of the necessity of some slack in a drive chain, you can often get this wavering kind of noise. Not really a harsh metallic, metal-on-metal kind of thing, but a deep whirr that changes with throttle and even road conditions. I think it's worse the more travel the bike has. One other thing I notice is the exhaust, but really this is more connected to the single cylinder issue already mentioned.

On the stalling, I'm speculating that your lean jetting and other "choked" up design aspects of the KLX in its stock condition are causing this. They are jetted too lean IMO, the air intake is too small, and the stock exhaust is a drinking straw. In my experience they even put too small a starter jet in the carb for when you cold start using the choke. Everything about the stock bike screams lean and stopped up. Hard starting can also be attributed to valve clearance, but as new as you state yours is, I would consider that last, but not totally impossible.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

when you say it won't restart, do you mean it cranks but won't start? or you hit the button and nothing happens?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:32 AM
1st Gear Member

If it 'drones' like a Predator, brace for impact

Seriously, when my bike was totally stock, I can remember it being hard to start if you stalled it while warm. I just takes awhile for the rich condition to dissipate.

As for the droning noise, it sounds normal.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:55 PM
1st Gear Member

that drone is normal, its a combo between your tires, engine, and transmission some valve train all hit a "high point" causing a rythmic noise. its crazy when you race two cars with some exhausts. All kinds of crazy rythmic stuff.

basically its resonance, where your engine vibrates happiness. and to some scientific degree, people create aftermarket parts based o this specific resonance. such as intakes in insanely odd shapes.

Last edited by sw0ggd0gg; 07-12-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yep I get that too, and sometimes it mixes at just the right rpm with the Muzzy sound, I can't explain it. But trust me you're not going crazy.....well at least not about that.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks ya'll for your answers. That puts my mind at ease more. I am enjoying the bike. I have already accessorized with a skid plate and the back rack from 'the guy on ebay'. The black one, powder coated, nomadicbackracks I think? It's very nice looking (free plug for the guy). Functional too. I got a tank bag that fits back there like a glove! The hard start issue isn't all the time, and maybe there is a technique. I saw the dealer mechanic try to start my bike for test ride after I had dropped it off, and it happened to him. He gave it a little throttle... and it started. I think I have to figure out the right combination of mental state, finger response, and twisting... and then try the start button ;o

I've been doing mostly trail riding on it...those railway beds. Normally, fine gravel, sometimes HUGE rocks, some 1.5" diameter or more. They look like tire shredders. ARE THEY?

OH, and, what is a good RPM to be cruising down the trail at? It SEEMS happy at about 5800-6200 with enough response to 'hop' those occasional moguls.

Also, here's another odd question. Does anyone else STINK like exhaust after a ride? Seems like the stock exhaust out the back lets me marinate in fumes. I did come up with a remedy that has cut that down substantially. I took a shower head pipe, one that is bent like a j shape, and reamed out one end. It fits snuggly over the exhaust pipe protruding. It fires the exhaust out the side and back now. I seem to pass the stink test now. . . .If I figure out how to post pictures, I'll put one up if anyone is curious.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Just ride faster than the exhaust. Are you sure you don't have a leak? Here is mine with the Muzzy, as you can see its pointed somewhat down. I've never smelled like exhaust when I came home.

Name:  KLX.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  95.9 KB

Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

On my stock 2009 I too come home stinking like catalyzed exhaust. It's not a happy pre-smog fuel like stink, it's more of a modern stink. I have noticed it after road rides only, not so much after being in the woods. No apparent leaks since it is pretty new and sounds leak free.

I would like to see the 2009 rack pics and your shower ell though I doubt I would replicate it it would be interesting.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

do you have a skid plate? they make odd noises louder.

Quick Reply: Engine Drone?