Enduro crashes

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Enduro crashes

Well, after racing my first hare scramble this past Sunday, I can definitely relate to what this guy was going through. RU2112SH is right - it's unbelievable how tired you get. That's one of the hardest things physically that I've done, and I wasn't even going all out - being my first race my goals were 1) don't get hurt, 2) don't bust up my bike, 3) have fun and take it all in, and 4) hopefully don't finish last . But damn, my arms pumped up, my heart rate went soaring, I constantly had to tell myself to slow down and take it easy, breathe, don't wreck, hang on, crap what did I just run over, ouch I can't believe that hole in the middle of that uphill turn was that deep, and did that guy over there just get used for traction, I bet that hurt?

My forearms are very sore today.

Here's my glamour shot from one of the local photographers.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RU2112SH

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

As incredible as KTM's are, I bet the KLX would do alot better on trails like that. Lower bike with lower center of gravity is definitely a plus. I followed some Quads on a trail like that and they lost me quick but the KLX excells in that environment IMO.
Trust me the klx does not. I raced in most of them last year on the KLX. Great bike but I picked up a ktm 2 stroke for this year. What hurts the klx is weight and it carries it high. He must be a decent rider because his starting postion for most races is pretty low A or B rider. It's unbelievable how tired you get during these events and something as simple as a little log becomes that much harder. The average event is 5 hours long and if its plus 80 degrees with the gear its that much harder.
If that's true then a KTM will be my next bike. I just remember sitting on one & it being pretty tall.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep been there, I had 3 get offs in the weekend like that, didnt start falling till I had done about 40kms, thinking back it was like, what? there was no reason to fall off other than tiredness and mud all over my goggles.
I saw my son looking back at me in one where I ended up as part of a tree and he is just laughing, seems only a couple of years ago and it was the other way round. Good prep on my part wearing armor, ended up with grazes under the armor where the broken branches hit.
Point being, that after 40kms I was feeling the weight up high in the KLX and a few times felt like it nearly overbalanced me. I have never owned a bike that felt like that and after 40km I would have been down to half a tank full of gas.
Had one slow crash and that was one of those deep mud ruts round the ankles, and front wheel kind of gets crossed up and spits you highside. Once again seemed to provide amusement to the youngsters. they are 15/16 and ride 125MXers in the enduros.
Lee

Old 03-11-2008, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

All right Brian!! Congrats on entering.....

Good lookin pic....I'd ask about buying/getting a hi-res version from the photog if I were you.

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Old 03-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Already did. I'm getting a poster. And I felt pretty good just to finish - that was some intense stuff. It looks like I finished 17 out of 19 in my class, and 187 out of 230+ overall. So, not that great, but I achieved all my objectives.

BTW, guys, HardTaco did very well on his KLX. I'll let him tell his story if he wants, but the short version is that he would have done even better had some ****** not run him off the course into a tree where his shoulder cushioned the blow for his bike, yet still busted his headlight and headlight shroud. [:@]

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

All right Brian!! Congrats on entering.....

Good lookin pic....I'd ask about buying/getting a hi-res version from the photog if I were you.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

BTW, guys, HardTaco did very well on his KLX.
How could a klx 331? beat a modded ktm 450? .......... Couldn't resist

Seriously, I find it impressive that HardTaco can seriously compete on the klx....does hehave a mod summary?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

BTW, guys, HardTaco did very well on his KLX.
How could a klx 331? beat a modded ktm 450? .......... Couldn't resist

Seriously, I find it impressive that HardTaco can seriously compete on the klx....does he have a mod summary?
Something to do with the rider, I think.

Turns out the Senior-C 40+ class was one of the most competitive. In fact, our class winner finished 2nd overall which is damn good! As to which class to race in, I think I chose poorly - those old guys will use you for traction! [&:] Josh still would have beaten me, though, even if I raced in Heavy-C like he did, but I would have had a better class finish than the one I raced - 35 out of 47 or something like that based on the lap times. Still not that impressive, though, but it was a very fun and rewarding experience. I'll definitely do it again ... once my arms recover, they still feel like rubber, lol. But I know I can do better now that I know more of what to expect.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

But damn, my arms pumped up, my heart rate went soaring...
My forearms are very sore today.

Well, so much for the 'eliminate arm pump' benefit that most steering dampeners claim. It probably would have been even worse without one though

Old 03-11-2008, 02:10 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38
Well, so much for the 'eliminate arm pump' benefit that most steering dampeners claim. It probably would have been even worse without one though
Funny you should mention that because after the 2nd lap, it felt like the damper was making the bike very hard to steer in the tight sections and was wearing me out so I turned it completely down to disable it.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Takes a lickin' and keeps-a-tickin'!

Thanks for sharing the vid. Some of those spills where painful to watch!

Quick Reply: Enduro crashes