EMS_0525 gave me an idea..

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 05:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: EMS_0525 gave me an idea..

Ok. I’ll throw my two cents in. I’m retired from the auto service business. I ran fixed operations (service departments) for Toyota and Jeep for 17 years. I took a bicycle ride across North America and became what I fondly refer to as, “Functionally unemployable.” I decided I could no longer put up with the retail BS required of those poor souls who are cursed with having to face every poodle toting soccer mom with a rattle in her dash.

I do a little remodeling and make physical therapy tables on the side, but my dream (which is coming true as we speak) is to write. I was just given the opportunity to write for “Ride Oklahoma Magazine.” Our second issue comes out in a few weeks.

Check us out at “rideok.com.” Subscribe. I promise to entertain you with stories of wonder and woe with the little KLX. Our next issue has a story about a ride we did in Terlingua, Texas last month. The KLX kept going while we lost a KLR 650 and a DRZ 400 to clutch failure in the mud.

Great thread, guys...and at least one very spunky gal.

Shadetree (Bill Dragoo)
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 03-01-2007, 08:25 AM

I work in the fashion industry.

My job is toapply crushed ice to the models nipplesin preparationfor bikini shoots. It really does make the photos come out better!

Well, someone has to do it right!?

Old 03-01-2007, 08:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm an Intel employee too. I'm an Electrical Engineer designing Itanium microprocessors. Before going to the University of Illinois, I spent eight years maintaining avionics for Naval aircraft -- mostly ECM equipment. My avatar is the patch of one of the squadrons I was assigned to.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm glad he asked. I've always wondered how they zap a semi conductor into the silicon. I always thought they were chemically 'grown' ...shows you how much I know[8D]

ORIGINAL: warski

Mustang,

Computer chips are made on a silicon substrate. Silicon doesn't conduct electricity until dopants (impurities that have one less or one more valance electron than silicon) are added making it into a semiconductor. An Ion is created when one (or more) valance electron is knocked off of an atom, which now has a positive charge. Ions can be controlled with votage potentials and powerful magnets (because they have a positive charge). An Ion Implanter is a "particle accelerator". Ions are "shot" into the silicon to precise depths and places to make transistors (semiconductors).

Aren't you glad you asked?

The flux capacitor guys are a different department...

Old 03-01-2007, 09:27 AM
1st Gear Member

if you ain't AMMO...you ain't $hit!!! yeah, I've worked with your kind

ORIGINAL: jeepphamilee

I build and inspect munitions and explosives.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:32 AM
1st Gear Member

We also use a FIB (Fixed Ion Beam) during the development/debugging stage of the parts. With over a billion transitors on a single chip, someone is bound to make a mistake. Rather than having to remanufacture the part, we can cut or splice "wires" inside of the chip for troubleshooting. Once the problems are root caused and a fix verified, we'll remanufacture the part with those changes.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:39 AM
1st Gear Member

I go to work when bad things happen around the world...I'm part of a Contingency Response Group...we are the first responders to a national crisis situation or a natural catastrophe...in short we're off the ground in 12 hours or less...land, secure the area, set up a command post, organize an active runway and parking area...pretty much we can start talking to aircraft and bring them in in less than 30 minutes after getting off our aircraft...we make it so that more aircraft and troops can come in... ...in the mean time we do ALOT of training which unfortunately keeps me away from my BABY GIRL DG[&o][&o][&o]... ...they have me in Guam right now for some training...

Old 03-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Thats pretty crazy OD!

man what a group of people we got here.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I work on an air to ground bombing and gunnery range. We provide controllersand scoring of aircaft bombing and strafe training missions before they are sent into harm's way.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I am production manager atPearson-Precision Collision Center.I look overanything in-between drop off and pick up that doesnt have to do with the actual customers or insurance negotiations. Balancing workload between techs, building itself, , shoulder to whine on, etc. It took about 7 years of working the front officeto realize that if I heard "It wasn't like that before the accident" 1 more time i'd snap. Needed to get on the other side of the wall. The stress level can beoverwhelming even without insurance adjusters and customers who never get to our doorstepunless bad things happen to thembut summer tends to be slower thus more ride time. Beer doesn't hurt either.

Quick Reply: EMS_0525 gave me an idea..