EMS_0525 gave me an idea..

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 06:47 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member
Default RE: EMS_0525 gave me an idea..

I am a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, and work for a major drilling and production controls equipment supplier in Houston. I help design all the offshore topside and subsea equipment, everything from shop fab weldments, machine drawings, hydraulic, schematics, electrical schematics, BOM'S, assemblies and interface drawings. I sometimes have to travel offshore but not much. I have been working here for 12 years. We use autocad 2004 and Pro-E for the drawings.

My office (for what its worth we did this on another forum) [sm=pimp.gif]

Old 02-28-2007, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

My title is Information Technology Director, but actually I'm a one-man IT shop for my company. I split my time between our 3 locations, and there are about 45 users in each one. I'm responsible for all networking, hardware, software, end-user support, thephone system, WAN links and DSL lines, and all other office equipment. We have8 servers running a mix of SuSE Linux and Windows 2003 Server. All of our administrative software (Payroll, Payables, Receivables, Inventory, etc.) was built in-house by myself using Visual Basic, Access, and MySQL. I work about 50 hours a week and I've been doing this for 15 years.

My company is a non-profit sheltered workshop. What that means is that we hire mentally and physically handicapped people and give them jobs that they can handle. We also provide vocational therapy (light duty) for injuredworkers from other companies. We do machining, inspection, and packaging of powdered metal parts. We also inspect and package light bulbs for Osram Sylvania.

When not at work, I wrench on my '70 Mustang and my bikes. The machine shop at work comes in real handy.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm an Equipment Technician (mechanic) maintaining Ion Implanters for Intel Corporation. I would appreciate it if you would all go out and buy a new computer and cell phone this week. Please be sure to ask for "Intel Inside".

I retired from the Air force in '94, couldn't afford to live off that. Been working for Intel since then. Schedule is 3 on - 3 off, followed by 4 on - 4 off. I like having 7 of every 14 off, but the 12 hour shifts are brutal at my age (50).

Don't forget, new computers and cell phones, Intel Inside, get shopping!

Old 02-28-2007, 08:04 PM

I build and inspect munitions and explosives.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

WAN links and DSL lines, and all other office equipment. We have8 servers running a mix of SuSE Linux and Windows 2003 Server. All of our administrative software (Payroll, Payables, Receivables, Inventory, etc.) was built in-house by myself using Visual Basic, Access, and MySQL.
is that in english?

now your avatar makes sense warski!!

Old 02-28-2007, 08:25 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Sorry about that. Others were giving specific details about their jobs, so I thought I'd do the same. I guess I went too far...

BTW warksi, what the hell is an Ion Implanter? Does that set the timing for the flux capacitor? I only use Intel processors here, so I'm doing my part.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Mustang,

Computer chips are made on a silicon substrate. Silicon doesn't conduct electricity until dopants (impurities that have one less or one more valance electron than silicon) are added making it into a semiconductor. An Ion is created when one (or more) valance electron is knocked off of an atom, which now has a positive charge. Ions can be controlled with votage potentials and powerful magnets (because they have a positive charge). An Ion Implanter is a "particle accelerator". Ions are "shot" into the silicon to precise depths and places to make transistors (semiconductors).

Aren't you glad you asked?

The flux capacitor guys are a different department...

Old 02-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: warski

Mustang,

Computer chips are made on a silicon substrate. Silicon doesn't conduct electricity until dopants (impurities that have one less or one more valance electron than silicon) are added making it into a semiconductor. An Ion is created when one (or more) valance electron is knocked off of an atom, which now has a positive charge. Ions can be controlled with votage potentials and powerful magnets (because they have a positive charge). An Ion Implanter is a "particle accelerator". Ions are "shot" into the silicon to precise depths and places to make transistors (semiconductors).

Aren't you glad you asked?

The flux capacitor guys are a different department...
ummmm...... riiiiiiiiiiiight....... [&:]

Old 02-28-2007, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I worked at Boise Cascade, Wallula 37 years. Started on heavy equipment and the last 29 as a pipefitter/welder. Retired in 2003. So while most of you have to work, I get to ride. But I would'nt want to rub that in or anything!

Old 02-28-2007, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Seriously, you guys have some great jobs!
I own a motorcycle shop for women...the first of its kind and I am about to celebrate my 1 year anniversary. I do what I love and I love what I do.

Quick Reply: EMS_0525 gave me an idea..