EMS_0525 gave me an idea..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Default RE: EMS_0525 gave me an idea..

ORIGINAL: deej

I thought I listed what I do, but I didn't, so I will. I am the Maintenance Mechanic II for the University of Washington's College of Forest Resources'-Olympic Natural Resources Center. Man I'm glad I don't have to say that too often. Anyway I have been at the facility since it opened in July of 1995, in fact I actually was working at the local hospital in maintenance when I got this job, worked both jobs for about 2 weeks, and then let the hospital job go. 11 years already. My wife and I lived here on site for a year and a half...........FOR FREE!!!!!!! But the place got too busy and they needed the apartment to be able to rent it out to researchers, and teachers taking classes up here. Here is a link to the place, and an aerial view as well. Yep 2 miles from my house, the commute is brutal, LOL

http://www.onrc.washington.edu/

Now deej . . . . just say it and get it over with! You're the director of the cleaning crew! It's a personality trait! [sm=happy046.gif] We all know it and accept it!

Me? Well let's see here . . . . I'm kinda retired after working in the telecom industry for 35 years. I retired as a development manager from Siemens, ICN. Before Siemens, it was known as Stromberg-Carlson. We built telephone switching systems for the independant telephone companies. Those are the small companies that provided telephone service to communities that the Bell network didn't want to bother with.

After being with them for 27 years, I was presented with the new "Open Door Policy" where they held the door open and I had to walk out. This RIF of all senior level people with high salaries happened in 2002. Once it turn 65 my pension is available, just have to wait until then.

I decided to collect unemployment and just goof off for a year. Did a lot of riding, not much else!

Then I decided to go back to work at the local high school. I was coaching baseball and teaching reading. The position was cut by the new School Board Superintendent who used the money to hire her cronies and pay them 4 times what I was making. The reading grades at the high school plummeted.

Next I went to work at a local "Academy" for young ladies. After working there for a short time, I found out it was not an "Academy" but a Department of Juvenile Justice facility for teenage criminals. Not a nice place to work. I think of it now as a home for princesses - at least that is the way DJJ has chosen to treat them.

Presently I am doing something quite interesting. I am working for ADR Data Recovery out of Folsom, California. I am the Florida techrep for them and run a data recovery lab in Orlando, Florida during the week. On most weekends, I am teaching people how to safely ride motorcycles at The Central Florida Safety Council. This keeps me quite busy, but it sure is fun.

At the FSC, we have some really cool bikes. One of the reasons I work for them is that not all our training bikes are "mini-cruiser" type of bikes. We have some Yamaha TW-200s that are really cool bikes. Then we have a couple of Suzuki DR-125's. Then there is this green bike that I love to ride and encourage most tall students to give it a try - a Kawasaki KLX250S. Anyone ever hear of one of those? So, I get paid to ride around and teach people how to ride. I like it.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow!! Hey did you get to work with this guy? LOL hahahahahahah burned!!!

Just messing with you Marty.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:18 PM

Im an electrician for the [north jersey district water supply commision of the state of new jersey] thats a long company name sucks when doing paper work.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Alright Marty, you got me, I am the custodial crew supervisor, but that's just because we are a limited staff and budget here. So I guess they figured I didn't have enough to do with my regular duties of Maintenance Mechanic II. What I actually do is to maintain the 20,000 sqft facility of all its systems, which include all of the electrical, plumbing, HVAC, fire system including yearly testing and certification, the fire pumps water boost system, and oh yea all around IT guy for the place. And if that wasn't enough I also supervise a few hourly staff that take care of the grounds. And let's not forget that I setup and tear down for every conference here at the center from setting up the room table and chairs to hooking up all of the data and PC needs of all the groups that rent space here. So while I do supervise a custodian, that actually falls into the category of 10% other in my job description. Check the fine print out, you'll be surprised what actually falls in there. Man I need a vacation.[8D] But how many people do you know that actually loves their job and looks forward to coming to work everyday. in the 11 years I have been here I can't really remember a bad day. That my friends is a rare thing.

Now for something funny. Yesterday I noticed something on the lower fender extension on my bike sitting 30 feet from my office, so naturally since I had just washed it on Monday there was no reason for it to look like that, well when I walked over to the bike, cleaner and a rag in hand I tried to get the water stain off the mudflap, and then realized it was a chrome reflection from the foot peg, LOL now that's funny. And sad all at the same time.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I am a high school shop teacher in Maple Ridge British Columbia. I was lucky enough to get a great job and a sweet / brand new shop right out of University. I don't make much $$$, but enough to have bought my KLX on monthly payments

I am 24 and....... I enjoy long walks on the beach

Old 07-26-2006, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dr_claw

I am a high school shop teacher in Maple Ridge British Columbia. I was lucky enough to get a great job and a sweet / brand new shop right out of University. I don't make much $$$, but enough to have bought my KLX on monthly payments

I am 24 and....... I enjoy long walks on the beach

Um.............I think you are looking for Eharmony.com, or Match.com...................LOL just messing with you. Welcome to the site

Old 07-26-2006, 07:51 PM

I guess since I started this post, I'll describe my job in a little more detail. I work for Boise Cascade Corporation, which is a fairly large forest products company. I work in St Helen's OR, in the paper division. I actually work several different jobs, but my official title is "Recovery Boiler Operator." I also work in the water treatment facility. A recovery boiler uses residual chemicals(black liquor)from the pulping process to produce steam. The black liquor is ran through evaporators which "evaporate" most of the water out, leaving around 65% solids. It's a large process, but the liquor ends up being burned in the recovery boiler- which is basically a 9 story tall furnace. This produces temps of around 1500 degrees, boiling water that is circulating around the furnace, producing steam pressure of about 400psi. The steam is used to run turbines, and provide dryer heat for the paper machines. Recovery boilers also produce "green liquor", which is mixed with lime, producing "white liquor". The white liquor is then used by the pulp plant, and the process starts all over again. This is an extremely simplified description, but it's basically a chemical "recycling" process. I've been there working there for 16 years.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Bump..... Come on new guys lets hear what you do fora living....

Old 02-28-2007, 05:15 PM

Hiya, I own and manage an apartment complex in Cartersville, Georgia. Prior to that I spent 15 years at Rational Software as a Technical Rep. Rational got swallowed up by IBM in 2002; I had bailed out just prior to that

Old 02-28-2007, 06:05 PM

I am the Process Development Manager for a company that designs/makes/packs Point-of-Purchase displays for large consumer product (CPG) companies. Pretty much every CPG that you can think of from Colgate to Moen faucets to Proctor & Gamble use our displays to pack their goods and display them at Wal-Mart, Target & the like. I basically help people improve whatever processes could use a little tweaking, from manufacturing steps to accounting processes to inventory management.

I am working outside of my regular training. I am a chemical engineer by education, and I used that degree for 8 years in the textile fiber and optical fiber industries. I used to work for Alcatel, a large French telecomn with operations here in the States, building draw towers to make optical fiber. I then moved to Finland with my wife and (then) 2 kids to work for Nextrom Oy(formerly part of Nokia), designing and testing fiber draw equipment. That was probably the highlight of my career so far. Definitely the most interesting job experienceI have had.

I have 4 kids aged 8 years down to almost 2 years. Boy-Girl-Boy-Girl. They keep us extremely busy, so I don't get nearly as much fun time on the bike as I would like. My wife is great about helping me to find time every now and then to get the bike dirty.

Quick Reply: EMS_0525 gave me an idea..