EMS_0525 gave me an idea..

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 06:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: EMS_0525 gave me an idea..

tasod, i too was in crypto maint. USAF. curently rural carrier usps and farmer. liked working on the crypto stuff but not much call for it in Iowa.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:07 AM

My job title is 'Reservoir Engineer', but could be loosely put in the 'Petroleum Engineer' basket.

I work for an Australian Oil and Gas Exploration and Production company. We have interests in oil & gas fields in Australia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Egypt, the US (Texas + Gulf of Mexico) and others. Basically I develop and delineate oil and gas fields by deciding where/when to drill wells (amongst many other things). It's a bit hard to explain what I do to people that aren't familiar with the industry.

I'm actually considering moving to a different company at the end of the year and may end up working in the US or Canada. Anyone recommend some good areas to live in the US? Has to be in an area with oil and gas fields, and I don't want to live in Texas (no offence to people from Texas).

Drof

Old 07-17-2006, 03:16 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Ok, i have always wondered, how do you know there is oil in the earth where u drill?

Old 07-17-2006, 03:18 AM

Kewl thing KLXCrazy - Always nice to hear from other 306's. The ANG here is pretty good and I can keep up with the "almost latest" technology. (the AF gets the latest) The farming parts sounds nice though!

Old 07-17-2006, 05:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I N.Y. I work for the electric company, I am an under ground splicer.I work on the electric lines that are under ground. I do new installations, fault locating, and repairs.Its is a dangerous job as I am handling very hight voltages (7620 volts).The pay is OK and the benefits and retirement is pretty good. The only thing that sucks about this job is that our busy time of the year is in the summer. As people add pools, air condition, hot tubs, etc. to the old and already overloaded lines, they cant Handel the load and they fail. So their is a lot of overtime in the summer months witch cuts into my riding. But it pays the bills. ( barley) LOL...

Old 07-17-2006, 05:59 AM

I think I might be the newest member here. Isn't there a party or something you are supposed to throw for me?

I'm in St. Louis, MO and I just got back into riding after about 10 years off and I bought a KLX250 about a month ago. No mods yet.

I've spent 20 years in broadcast media...mostly radio and I still do tons of freelance voiceover and production--even video. My real job is working for Children's Miracle Network. I'm the National Production Director for Radiothon, which is a program that raises about US$50mil a year for 170 children's hospitals in North America. I work from home, but I travel about every other week working with our radio stations.

I'm also active at my church which just happened to host a ride this weekend (7/15/06). We had about 50 bikes and rode about 70 miles...mostly Harley's and Honda's with big motors. They were all very well behaved when they saw my green machine and they were all relieved to know that someone was around to yank 'em out of the mud if they got stuck.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:50 AM

Drof, as far as areas with oil and gas, and nice country, you might want to check north central Arkansas. There is a developing gas/oil well craze here. Google "Fayetteville Shale" or "cleburne county oil gas" and see whatcha get. Also see http://www.ogj.com/news/wire_story_d...&NewsID=135947
Most of my new patients in the last year have been involved in this business. Only Aussie is a man that runs the healthfood store, AFAIK. Lots of woods, lots of hills, lots of trails. Big lake, great trout streams. Living here is pretty inexpensive compared to many places, too. http://www.heber-springs.com/content/index.htm
That's one idea!
doc

Old 07-18-2006, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, what an interesting mix of jobs we all have! Just thought I’d chime in too. I am a fiber optic splicing technician with Verizon working on their new FiOS network. Here’s a pic of me in action in the woods, but most of the time I’m in my bucket truck…

Old 07-19-2006, 01:59 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I thought I listed what I do, but I didn't, so I will. I am the Maintenance Mechanic II for the University of Washington's College of Forest Resources'-Olympic Natural Resources Center. Man I'm glad I don't have to say that too often. Anyway I have been at the facility since it opened in July of 1995, in fact I actually was working at the local hospital in maintenance when I got this job, worked both jobs for about 2 weeks, and then let the hospital job go. 11 years already. My wife and I lived here on site for a year and a half...........FOR FREE!!!!!!! But the place got too busy and they needed the apartment to be able to rent it out to researchers, and teachers taking classes up here. Here is a link to the place, and an aerial view as well. Yep 2 miles from my house, the commute is brutal, LOL

http://www.onrc.washington.edu/

Quick Reply: EMS_0525 gave me an idea..