Emissions equipment and cherry red exhaust myths

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I am not a fan of decel popping. I tuned mine out with the fuel screw. I did not like my bike berating me every time I slowed down.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

As an aside, I have a lovely scar on my inner leg just below the need, after a 2 mph drop on mud cause me to land on top of the bike, with my leg touching the exhaust.

If you fit an aftermarket exhaust, make sure you have a guard over it!

Old 06-12-2016, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
I am not a fan of decel popping. I tuned mine out with the fuel screw. I did not like my bike berating me every time I slowed down.
Well, now you know it wasn't berating you. As Mikuni points out, normal with a well tuned carb. It was thanking you in its own burbly way. It's those really loud pops that are berating you.

But hey, if you don't like your engine talking to you, your call. Just saying that it is NOT a problem and does not need any cure. That there are no gains to be had with removal of emissions equipment other than weight savings.

I don't run a rear rack or fender bag... or anything else for that matter, but that isn't to say don't do it. More a case of not to get in a bother if not necessary. I do have a rear rack in a box in the garage, but haven't needed it yet and I kind of like the little bit of crackling the SR and KLX650 do. Not really too noticeable and not loud enough to bother anyone.

Originally Posted by Bigs
As an aside, I have a lovely scar on my inner leg just below the need, after a 2 mph drop on mud cause me to land on top of the bike, with my leg touching the exhaust.

If you fit an aftermarket exhaust, make sure you have a guard over it!
Nothing much can be done other than what you point out. The interesting thing about the bluing of a pipe is it indicates the distance the really high heat has traveled up the pipe. Based on the stuff I read about the deterioration of the metal it is more up in the really high heat area where that bluing is. From there on back wrap would have less effect on the pipe and serve as a great guard.

If you should do actual metal guards, they should be insulated with something on the back side and from the mounts as best possible.

I've been burnt before... not fun.

Last edited by klx678; 06-12-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Re: Nascar, are they running DOHC now?
I don't know. Don't watch much car racing these days beyond an occasional WRC if it looks interesting.

I do kind of like some drag racing, like Pro Mod and Pro Stock along with the bikes. It would really be great if they showed some of the nostalgia racing with the Gassers and Modifieds that are running now.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Did the MCM mod quieten the intake noise? It sounds that way, judging by the video.

Old 07-31-2021, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Peter Leif Lindvall
Did the MCM mod quieten the intake noise? It sounds that way, judging by the video.
It's an interesting thread even though the last post was 5 years ago.
I'm on the fence on the MCM when I heard the d word... detonation.

If you want a free flowing intake with NO intake noise get a KDX200 snorkel. It's double the cross section area.

Last edited by tooter; 07-31-2021 at 05:19 PM.