EFI tuning - what are the options ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default EFI tuning - what are the options ?

It's an EFI world for us now - and the future for the forum will increasingly be EFI centric. While different than what many in here are used to, I assure you it is easy and fascinating to to reprogram your bike, ride it, and "own" your results !

Problem is, we have extremely limited "official" tuners available to us. Soooo:

1. Is the PCV that DJ sells for the older EFI's able to work on the newer EFI's ?
2. Is there a clear "path" for ALL EFI owners to acquire the DJ PCFC for the newer KLX250s - which DJ does not officially offer for sale in the USA.. @J Higgens ?

If the PCV IS compatible, our problem is solved.
Can a dyno shop create new programing with only a PCFC on the bike or does the shop need to connect a PCV in order to create new programming ? @J Higgens ?

Obviously, a dyno shop can "spin the dials" on the PCFC and/or the EJK to create a new fueling curve, but only the PCFC offers the ability to use the programs (tunes) from the PCV - which allows fine tuning and usually ignition tuning as well..

Last edited by Klxster; 12-05-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
It's an EFI world for us now - and the future for the forum will increasingly be EFI centric. While different than what many in here are used to, I assure you it is easy and fascinating to to reprogram your bike, ride it, and "own" your results !

Problem is, we have extremely limited "official" tuners available to us. Soooo:

1. Is the PCV that DJ sells for the older EFI's able to work on the newer EFI's ?
2. Is there a clear "path" for ALL EFI owners to acquire the DJ PCFC for the newer KLX250s - which DJ does not officially offer for sale in the USA.. @J Higgens ?

If the PCV IS compatible, our problem is solved.
Can a dyno shop create new programing with only a PCFC on the bike or does the shop need to connect a PCV in order to create new programming ? @J Higgens ?

Obviously, a dyno shop can "spin the dials" on the PCFC and/or the EJK to create a new fueling curve, but only the PCFC offers the ability to use the programs (tunes) from the PCV - which allows fine tuning and usually ignition tuning as well..
I ordered two PCFC's when I initially found them, from two different distributors. The part number is EFC17900E. A quick Google search of this part number still pulls up the two main distributors from Europe that will ship to the US. Evo_motion on Ebay sells them. Evo_motion is the Ebay store of EM Lineamoto, which is a business out of Italy. The other distributor "Bike Design Benelux" is out of Belgium, https://www.bike-design.com/en-gb

Out of the two, I preferred working with Bike Design. Their customer service was on top of their communication with me, throughout the ordering process. You do have to make an account to order from them. I did eventually get the fuel controller from the other distributor. However, it was at least a couple weeks after their delivery date window. Their communication was slow, but ultimately I did receive it from them.

I am planning on obtaining an older PCV to test with my KLX. If anyone cares for a progress update on that, I am mainly just saving up funds to get one, along with the rest of the parts needed for my cam upgrade among my other projects. So, yes, the KLX351 build continues!

A dyno shop can make a custom tune for the PCFC. Of course, it is only a fuel map. No PCV is needed. The software used to do this is called, "Power Commander FC Control Center". You use a USB cable between the PCFC and the computer to interface with the software. In fact, here is a screenshot of the software and my current map. As you can see, you can add or take away a certain fuel percentage, every 250 RPMs or at various throttle percentages.

Old 12-06-2020, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, fantastic information !

And from your build, we know the stock injector requires replacement with the larger Beet by the time mods create 30 hp . Perhaps the stock injector is "good" for up to 28 hp (?)

28hp capability would cover all 250cc mod combos and most 351 mod combos.

But the one "fly in the ointment" is that upper rpm soft rev limiter (detune) that still persists even WITH the clutch mod switch.

I assume it is thought that a PCV (if functional on the newer EFI's) will allow ignition tuning - and that the soft limiter is due to an ignition retard in the upper RPM's. I would wish this to be so, BUT it really cannot be a retard so pervasive as to cause such a huge drop in power levels as such a retard is destructive and highly polluting.....

Soft Limiters are implemented via ECM programming that causes the/a throttle valve to gradually close at a predetermined rate and amount starting at: 1). A predetermined RPM. 2). A predetermined gear selection plus RPM. 3).Multiple predetermined gear selections and RPM's. Such detunes can only be remedied through an ECM reflash (reprogramming) - which we currently cannot do on the KLX ECM as no flash tool/device is available.

Nonetheless, the soft rev limiter must be "defeated" .

Old 12-06-2020, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, fantastic information !

And from your build, we know the stock injector requires replacement with the larger Beet by the time mods create 30 hp . Perhaps the stock injector is "good" for up to 28 hp (?)

28hp capability would cover all 250cc mod combos and most 351 mod combos.

But the one "fly in the ointment" is that upper rpm soft rev limiter (detune) that still persists even WITH the clutch mod switch.

I assume it is thought that a PCV (if functional on the newer EFI's) will allow ignition tuning - and that the soft limiter is due to an ignition retard in the upper RPM's. I would wish this to be so, BUT it really cannot be a retard so pervasive as to cause such a huge drop in power levels as such a retard is destructive and highly polluting.....

Soft Limiters are implemented via ECM programming that causes the/a throttle valve to gradually close at a predetermined rate and amount starting at: 1). A predetermined RPM. 2). A predetermined gear selection plus RPM. 3).Multiple predetermined gear selections and RPM's. Such detunes can only be remedied through an ECM reflash (reprogramming) - which we currently cannot do on the KLX ECM as no flash tool/device is available.

Nonetheless, the soft rev limiter must be "defeated" .
Yup, the stock injector does look to be sufficient for right around 28 HP. I forgot the exact duty cycle numbers I had with the stock injector, but they are in my video somewhere.

I am pretty certain that the soft limiter has to do with an ignition retard/something in the ECM. Looking back through the forum, I found this graph from an EFI KLX, https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum.../#&gid=1&pid=1.
It looks nearly identical in shape to mine, with a drop off at 7,500 RPM (mine at about 7,700 RPM) and then a slight rise from 8,200 to 9,200 RPM (mine looks to be in the same place). Ignition timing itself may not fix the power drop off, but it may be less pronounced.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Both charts (yours and @batcave 's), when compared to carb'd KLX charts, are proof that something is "shutting down" power production on the EFI's, and it is NOT cured via the clutch switch mod.

In order to implement programming that partially closes a butterfly valve, there has to be an electronically controlled butterfly valve to control !!!!

So, some simple questions are in order - is the primary throttle valve hooked up directly to a cable, rendering it completely uncontrollably by the ECM ? If so then the only way the ECM could be shutting down the engines' power production is via the secondary throttle valve - remove it, and there is no chance the ECM can kill engine power with it !

Old 12-07-2020, 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Both charts (yours and @batcave 's), when compared to carb'd KLX charts, are proof that something is "shutting down" power production on the EFI's, and it is NOT cured via the clutch switch mod.

In order to implement programming that partially closes a butterfly valve, there has to be an electronically controlled butterfly valve to control !!!!

So, some simple questions are in order - is the primary throttle valve hooked up directly to a cable, rendering it completely uncontrollably by the ECM ? If so then the only way the ECM could be shutting down the engines' power production is via the secondary throttle valve - remove it, and there is no chance the ECM can kill engine power with it !
Ah yes, that dreaded secondary throttle blade.... Unfortunately, I removed that in the video where I almost highsided. So, unfortunately, that's not it.

Old 12-07-2020, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok.. Lets assume the clutch switch mod has been done correctly and securely on your bike as well as @batcave 's..

Is the primary throttle valve directly connected to a throttle cable - removing it from any possible ECM control , or is it actually electrically operated via a sensor ( a sensor that the throttle cable actuates) ?

Last edited by Klxster; 12-07-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok.. Lets assume the clutch switch mod has been done correctly and securely on your bike as well as @batcave 's..

Is the primary throttle valve directly connected to a throttle cable - removing it from any possible ECM control , or is it actually electrically operated via a sensor ( a sensor that the throttle cable actuates) ?
The main throttle blade is directly controlled by the throttle cable, yes.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

And I see no evidence of injector manipulation by the ECM on the @batcave chart (I can't see the upper 1/2 of your fueling map - to check for injector manipulation.).... Soooo.. Soft limiter via ignition retard it is...

I guess this means a PCV with ignition tuning capability is our only hope of getting rid of this detune ?

Last edited by Klxster; 12-10-2020 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:02 AM
1st Gear Member

And I see no evidence of injector manipulation by the ECM on the @batcave chart (I can't see the upper 1/2 of your fueling map - to check for injector manipulation.).... Soooo.. Soft limiter via ignition retard it is...

I guess this means a PCV with ignition tuning capability is our only hope of getting rid of this detune ?
Definitely the most feasible option. I'd like to stay away from the API Tech ECU since the interface is probably known by very little. Many tuners stateside probably have not even heard of it.

Quick Reply: EFI tuning - what are the options ?