EFI Information - Let's arm up!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 05:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by F.j.GRIM
I will let them know. I've been looking at some of the places here and I found one with a decent rep and review history. If not I can always travel somewhere that's willing to do it to the specs and how you described.
Just realize that dyno shops like to pretend they are a "wizards" employing "dark arts" - and know best what you need.. They will be taken aback by your requests - they are accustom to clueless customers. How they respond to your requests will tell you what you need to know about them. They may protest once they hear your requests. Do not waver - if they will not give you your raw data files, regardless of the reason, move on to the next shop. If they give you crap about 12.7 - 12.8 straight line AFR @ WOT, move on.. You are paying for a product that must meet your requests and you are not interested in excuses or persuasive "speeches" to the otherwise..

Also, you might add that you expect a peak of 24 plus "SAE corrected" hp @ around 8800 RPM. As we know that 24hp, SAE corrected, is what the carb'd KLX's get with your mod combo.. ( assuming lidless + Megabomb + 2 bros slipon )

Ask for a printout of your best pull - SAE corrected, with HP and TRQ on one chart with the AFR chart below it..
With the raw data files, you can view your bikes' pulls on the dyno at your leisure, and any which way you want - from the free WinPEP 7 or WinPEP 8 software download from DynoJet here - Dynojet Research Inc. Downloads

Last edited by Klxster; 03-31-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I know this is a lot to take in - please write yourself notes that condense this knowledge..

You want "engine speed" charts - NOT MPH charts. Tell them this.. This means they MUST hook up the dyno ignition "pickup" onto your spark plug wire. This should always be done - but some operators might think they can get away with not doing this - so now you know what to look for.

They will/must shove an AFR probe up the tailpipe all the way in to near the engines' exhaust port..

Study the manual for your PCFC before the dyno session - know and understand the unit and its' capabilities. This way you cannot be bluffed during the session with what they say it will or won't do.. You will need to call DJ to find out if the unit allows the stock closed loop operation to remain in effect - let me know what they say..

Also, you are paying them to get the WOT AFR correct with perhaps the added bonus of tweaking the other areas of operation - but you can tweak the other areas of operation yourself - If they ask about what you want for part throttle AFR, tell them that is their choice..

Last edited by Klxster; 03-31-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I used to do tunes on generators as a instrumentation tech at an engineering firm in Houston. We would use a heater bank to add load to the generator and tune for emissions. We had the afr probes and all the software for our fuel and air controllers. It's been a while but I still remember the gist of what we were going for. The place in Oklahoma city I'm taking it to seemed to understand what I was asking for. I got everything in today and I'll be going by there in the morning when I get off of work to talk to them and schedule a time that I can go down there. There are a few other places in the area that are options and like i said if i have to drive it out to a better shop i will i would rather spend a day or two out of town than waist my money on a crap tune that possibly damages my bike. Pretty excited 24hp seems like a pretty large increase lol.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

the former owner of my bike put on a cheap muffler with open end on mine and ran it without a tune and o2 sensor installed. (stock wnet back when i bought the bike)
currently it is not burning oil and runs fine i now have a powercommander on with a random map from the site and lid off.
i also have a GPR full system.
i am thinking about putting the lid back on and just with the db kiler and cat installed, and ditch the powercommander.

ps. and install the o2 eliminator plug