Economy Handlebars - Opinions Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Default Economy Handlebars - Opinions Wanted

Okay folks - don't tell me to go for the Renthals, 'cause I am out of $. I don't even need to hear that they are worth the difference. Let me pretend that Renthals are overpriced and the economy brands are just as good or almost.

Anyway, I just called the KTM and Kawa dealers. Each carries Renthal and an economy bar. The KTM dealer has Fly bars and the Kawa dealer has MSR Dominators. They are both priced right around $38.

Anyone have any info on which would get the nod?

Also, most bars these days seem to come with a center cross bar that looks to be removeable. The KTM guy told me that he would not recommend removing it, but he Kawa parts guy told me that the MSR at least retains its strength without the bar. I don't buy that, but I would like opinions on that as well. I am interested because I have several things that I want to mount on the bar, and the cross bar will likely interfere. If push comes to shove, though, I will trade go for strenght over accessories, of course.

Thanks for the input.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Economy Handlebars - Opinions Wanted

cant help you much on that, but most aftermarket bars i thaught didnt need that cross brace... i saw a pic of moose bars mounted on our bikes and it didnt have it...

Old 09-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I'm with EMS_0525 on this. If the bar you buy has the cross bar, I would be leary of removing it. You can get bars without it, though. Just a psuedo random suggestion - check http://www.rockymountainatv.com , on the left select "controls" and on the next screen select "handlebars". Lots of choices there with and without the crossbar and full coverage of the price range, some as low as $16 or so. At least you can get some ideas and go from there ...

Old 09-08-2006, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

My brother had the Fly bars w/ cross bar. They were the CR high bend and felt great on the bike. He just crashed and they bent pretty bad. Would the bars have bent if they were Renthals instead? Probably, he hit the ground hard, but I don't think they would have bent as bad. However if you bend your bars you are replacing them- $70 bars vs. $40 bars. I have been down a couple of times with my Renthals and they are still straight. If money is tight, I would have no problem running the Fly bars. I think the Renthals are a better quality bar and are worth the extra money if you can afford it.

And thats my 2 cents...
Name:  da-big-nachoMedium.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  73.8 KB

Old 09-08-2006, 07:51 PM
1st Gear Member

CW,

I wasn't sure which style bars I wanted, and I didn't want to spend money on Renthals to find out. So I bought a CR High by Moose Racing just to see how I liked it. I've now had them on for several months and feel pretty comfortable with them, So I might order the CR High Renthal and keep them on the shelf, and wait to bend the Moose bars.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dazjr

My brother had the Fly bars w/ cross bar. They were the CR high bend and felt great on the bike. He just crashed and they bent pretty bad. Would the bars have bent if they were Renthals instead? Probably, he hit the ground hard, but I don't think they would have bent as bad. However if you bend your bars you are replacing them- $70 bars vs. $40 bars. I have been down a couple of times with my Renthals and they are still straight. If money is tight, I would have no problem running the Fly bars. I think the Renthals are a better quality bar and are worth the extra money if you can afford it.

And thats my 2 cents...

Thats just WRONG!!!![sm=smiley35.gif]

Old 09-08-2006, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dazjr

That looks just like my riding gear, except my cape is green!

Old 09-08-2006, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

That looks just like my riding gear, except my cape is green!
LOL!!![sm=roll.gif]