DynoJet questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default DynoJet questions

Recently I've put on a FMF Q4, K&N air filter and the KDX snorkel. Obviously, the bike is running lean and needs to be rejetted. I've ordered the DynoJet Stage 1 & 2 Jet Kit (2152) and have a few questions before it gets here.

First, based on my mods will I be doing just the Stage 2 or both to rejet? What will I have to remove in order to get to the carb to pull it? If by chance I decide to hire a bike mechanic to do it how many hours would it take/cost?

Last edited by Brieninsac; 02-28-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

The difference between stage one and two is the size of the main jet. All other things are the same

Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Instructions:
http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/2152.pdf

There is a link somewhere to show how to remove the carb. I think it is from FMF website. Just do a search.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Recently I've put on a FMF Q4, K&N air filter and the KDX snorkel. Obviously, the bike is running lean and needs to be rejetted. I've ordered the DynoJet Stage 1 & 2 Jet Kit (2152) and have a few questions before it gets here.

First, based on my mods will I be doing just the Stage 2 or both to rejet? What will I have to remove in order to get to the carb to pull it? If I by chance I decide to hire a bike mechanic to do it how many hours would it take?
With the mods you list you'll want to go stage 2.
Groove #3
DSP027 spring
DJ128 main jet
Fuel mixture 3 turns out

Also consider drilling out the enrichment jet (.018")......others here recommended it to me when I did mine a few months back. Well worth the effort when you have the carb out anyway.
Made it start right up immediately.

Anyone with modest mechanical ability can do this...........download the service manual and take your time.
Take digital pictures of the cables and routing of hoses during dis-assembly and it's not very hard.

Heck I did it and didn't have any left over parts!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buerkletucson
Anyone with modest mechanical ability can do this...........download the service manual and take your time.
The best price I've gotten is $145 to do it for me. So I'm leaning towards doing it myself. I've read the DynoJet instructions and they seem pretty straight forward. The main problem is knowing what to take off in order to get the carb out. I have the KLX service manual but it doesn't say how to remove the carb. I've searched the net and found very little on how to do this. If anyone cares to explain I'd sure like to know.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

After all the mods to my bike, it starts like a champ and comes off the choke way sooner. I may have one of the lucky 09's, as i never had to drill the enrichment jet. Jet kit install is not too bad, you can do it in an afternoon. If you need tech support PM me and i will give you my cell.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

It's in the stickys. Spend some time there.

Kawasaki KLX 250 slip on - HMF Engineering Forums

and there is a little shortcut on throttle connection in my 351 thread in sig. I don't back off the throttle cable tension adjustment nuts, but rather just remove the screw holding the throttle cable bracket to the carb (replace this phillips screw, and others on the carb, with allen heads). Remove/install this bracket with the carb boot clamps loose (airbox & engine side) so that he carb can be twisted to the side, which will make removal of the cables from carb throttle assembly easier. In the pic below, the carb is twisted to the side a little bit, the screw removed, and the bracket loose so that the throttle cable easily slips out.

Name:  IMG_8980.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  84.3 KB

Last edited by IDRIDR; 02-29-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
The best price I've gotten is $145 to do it for me. So I'm leaning towards doing it myself. I've read the DynoJet instructions and they seem pretty straight forward. The main problem is knowing what to take off in order to get the carb out. I have the KLX service manual but it doesn't say how to remove the carb. I've searched the net and found very little on how to do this. If anyone cares to explain I'd sure like to know.
Money aside, if you're the least bit mechanically inclined, I suggest you do this yourself. I did mine a few weeks ago with help from the link IDRIDR posted and guys on this board.
You'll learn a lot about your bike and gain confidence in doing your own maintenance and repairs.
When I bought my bike (used) it was so clean and new looking (compared to other dirt bikes I've owned) that I was afraid to mess with it. Well, it's going on six years old now and I realized if I was going to keep it, I'd have to get busy on some maintenance and updates.
The jetting part was easy. There is a chart posted that compares the DynoJet numbers to the Kawasaki numbers.
After reading lots of posts and interacting with guys on the board, I decided to go with the 120 DynoJet main (127.5 Kawasaki), 3rd needle position, 2 turns out on the fuel screw. (Buy the extender screw)
As noted, pay attention to the hose routing, somehow I think I didn't get something just right because the choke area is now a little congested.
Bike starts and runs great but the weather sucks so I haven't rode too much.
I also cleaned and lubed the chain, replaced the coolant, cleaned and lubed the air filter, changed oil and filter. Brake fluid next.
Good luck, have fun.
Rob

Old 02-29-2012, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up you can do it Brien

I got the procedure wrong. I recommend the method that others here use to remove their carburetors as my method is flawed, to say the least.

Last edited by whyzee; 03-02-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whyzee
If you run into trouble just ask back here for immediate response. Operators (KLX) are standing by.

Just dial 1-800-KLX-CARB

Quick Reply: DynoJet questions