Dye your plastics black

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Dye your plastics black

I have too many hobbies(for the money I make), and one of them is my old school bmx stuff. There are actually quite a few people into it(with more money than me), and a few message boards dedicated to the hobby. It's mostly people re-living their past, and building the bikes they wanted, and couldn't afford when they were kids. They find the parts they need on ebay-garage sales-thrift shops, or swap them on the board, as all these bikes and parts are no longer made, but laying around in peoples garages, left over from the 80's. Those BMX bike came in every color, so you not only have to find the correct seat, but you need to find it in the correct color! Long story short here, someone figured out that you could use fabric dye to color some types of plastic. Nylon seems to take well , and the cases I have seen are only going from a lighter color to a darker color, which only makes sense. It finally clicked to me last night that this might be the ticket for those of you wanting black plastics. I'm only passing this info on as a starting point, a possible solution, do your own research and testing. I think it will work though. Anybody on here still have their old BMX bike?
Go here to see the dye thread http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/...+nylon+plastic
Name:  b14ccf46.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  67.9 KB

Old 09-21-2008, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I remember a friend coloring an interior piece for his car with VHT Vinyl Dye. (He couldn't find the part in the right color at the local junkyard.) Stuff worked on- it was a spray can. I would like to see how it goes- I know if I painted my plastics I'd scratch them in seconds.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

The vintage bmx guys were using that auto parts dye for some of the plastics that wouldn't take the fabric dye. The fabric dye actually penetrates into the plastic. It's not real deep, but a light surface scratch wouldn't show white.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Someone on here tried it a while ago. I don't think that the results were that good. If you search for it you can probably find the topic.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Tried which 2k, the auto dye or the fabric dye? I would definitely test on something first. I was thinking I might try it on the stock handguards.

Last edited by dan888; 09-21-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Tried which 2k, the auto dye or the fabric dye? I would definitely test on something first. I was thinking I might try it on the stock handguards.
Part of the problem is getting a pot big enough for all the large plastic parts.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Going on other peoples posts the Krylon (I think thats the right name) paint seems to be the go for changing colours

Old 09-22-2008, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888

I don't really remember, it was quite awile ago. Something tells me they were using RIT fabric dye but i am not really sure.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I like the green.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I like the green and white on my bike, but I know there are people looking for the black stuff, and thought I'd relay a possible soulution. I thought about trying it on the stock handguards just to see how well it works, because I probably will not ever use them. It would be an inexpensive experiment. If the dye works I think it would be more durable than a painted on finish. I have an 07 and the only thing on it that I'm not sure if I like is the white headlight housing.

Quick Reply: Dye your plastics black