dumped bike in a ditch...please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default dumped bike in a ditch...please help!!

...let a friend ride my 2009 klx and me and my buddies in utility vehicles crossed a ditch about 2.5' in depth then waited for the klx. He was excited and full throttle coming around the corner and had no choice with the crowd cheering him on to throttle up and try to make it thru at around 20 mph... of course he hit the water and the front wheel turned and he toppled over in his street clothes in 35 degree weather, almost fully submerging the bike. Was one of best things i've seen in a while...hilarious. Well, the bike shut off and we pulled it out. it took about 3 minutes of hitting the starter and it cranked up and for his heroics I let him finish out the ride soaking wet and full of mud. Got home later, washed the bike and put it in my garage. Week later I go to ride, turn key on and all normal electronics come on (display, lights, turning signals, horn etc), but when I hit the starter nothing happens. took the seat off to inspect fuses and they are ok. hit starter again and there's a little black rectangular thing with in/out wires next to the fuses that makes a low volume clicking noise, like current is getting there. I recharged the battery but got the same really low clicking noise when trying to start.

Can anyone please help??? I'm stumped and electrical is definately not my strong traiit by any means...

Old 03-11-2011, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

might have got water in the starter that has now rusted some parts, do you have a meter to check for voltages? I would pull the starter if all the fuses check out, also try your kickstand circuit sometime the relay goes bad for that as well.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Wow.... i have got water everywhere except inside the motor and never had any trouble... No idea man... good luck. Maybe the starter solenoid?

Old 03-11-2011, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

That big click is normal at the underseat area. Mine does it and it has not been underwater..... yet. I would be looking at the safety switches as well as the right hand red kill switch on the bars.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:39 PM
1st Gear Member

what Highbeam said,

check the safety switch at the clutch for sure (but check all of them anyway)... could have got a bit of dirt or crap in there which can stop it from moving freely - happened to me after a similar crash... fired the garden hose at it and manually push/pulled it... all is good now.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

So let me get this right, the bike was swamped, cranked for a long time to start, taken home washed and stored?

So you didn't change the oil or remove and dry the air filter or remove the sparkplug and put wd40 down the hole?

Does the engine still turn over, stick it in third gear and give it a push down you drive and see.
if its seized you have a big problem and lots of work in front of you.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats what I was thinking....if you swamp a bike and you suck up water your never suppose to try and start it....should of removed the plug, turned it over to get the water out, removed the air filter...changed the oil(can take alot more than one change sometimes) and if letting it sit spray something into the cylinder so it don't rust up and sieze.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

i doubt it seized if it was running .. just running it would have lubed up everything nice.. put in a new battery and then try it.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default How to Properly Flood a Motorcycle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EtHUzfdYqE

Last edited by IDRIDR; 03-11-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by T_i_G_e_R
i doubt it seized if it was running .. just running it would have lubed up everything nice.. put in a new battery and then try it.
if the oil was not changed and it contained water it can seize

Quick Reply: dumped bike in a ditch...please help!!