Drilling out the stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Drilling out the stock exhaust

So I have been looking at the Free mods people talk about and the one question I have is Where Exactly do you drill this half-inch hole in the muffler. Do you go in thru the exhaust outlet or what. I see all kinds of comments about drilling this 1/2 hole but nothing about where. Also how much will this help the bike. Eventually I will be going to a aftermarket exhaust like everyone else.

LV

Old 08-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Default RE: Drilling out the stock exhaust

If you put your Mark I, Mod B eyeball right into the outlet of the muffler, you will see a plate there. When you hook up the handy dandy 1/2 inch drill and put a 1/2 inch bit into it, just drill through that plate. It's not too far down from the opening.

When you're complete, you should see something like this:

Name:  Anyoneseenabaffle.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  34.4 KB

Does that help?

Old 08-04-2006, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Marty

Yep thats what I thought was you went in right from the exhaust outlet. Since my bike only has 150 miles on it now It's still 100% stock. I was planing on doing all the mods including exhaust upgrade / rejet / open airbox at the 600 mile mark including the free mods. If I just do the free mods first including the 1/2 hole in the exhaust trick what type of performance increase can I expect do you know. thanks...

LV

ORIGINAL: Marty

If you put your Mark I, Mod B eyeball right into the outlet of the muffler, you will see a plate there. When you hook up the handy dandy 1/2 inch drill and put a 1/2 inch bit into it, just drill through that plate. It's not too far down from the opening.

When you're complete, you should see something like this:

Does that help?

Old 08-04-2006, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

You might make it more lean than it already is... If you open up the exhaust, you might also need to richen up the mixture a bit.
If you can just uncap your pilot screw and turn it out a lil bit, that might be enough to get you by until you rejet, etc.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

You might make it more lean than it already is... If you open up the exhaust, you might also need to richen up the mixture a bit.
If you can just uncap your pilot screw and turn it out a lil bit, that might be enough to get you by until you rejet, etc.

More than likely very true!

I know A16Tony noticed that he needed to go a size bigger on his jetting when he drilled out the baffle. On a stock bike, it's almost a given.

All the mods take about 2 to 3 hours to complete as a single package. Since they all work together so well, why not just wait and do it all at once?

600 miles? What is that all about? If you believe in the 600 mile factory break-in procedure, you might still believe in the Tooth Fairy too!

Ride it for 100 miles and observe the guidelines. Then change the oil and start winding it out in all the gears. Never lug it or create excessive cylinder pressure with a too low a gear selection. Do not hit redline, but 8000 rpm is just fine. Let the bike do some engine braking too.

Heck, I'd just mod it and ride it now.