Downshifting and ending up in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Default Downshifting and ending up in neutral

Hi, not only am I completely new to the world of motorcycling, but I'm also rather mechanically inept. I have encountered a problem with the 2009 KLX250S i recently purchased, it has around 4000 miles under it, but is in rather good condition as far as I've been able to tell, but about every 1 out of 3 times when I downshift from say, 3rd or 4th gear, I go all the way down and end up in neutral. Sometimes I play with it for a few seconds and it ends up where I want it, and other times it will only shift up into second, but most of the time it won't do anything at all unless I smash it down into first, and that usually takes awhile. If anybody has any idea what the issue could be, mechanical or rider caused, please let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I hope it is this: your shifter is hitting something (skid-plate, etc.) when you are trying to get all the way down into first gear. Look VERY closely for anything that could possibly be contacting your shifter when you push down. If that's the problem, it's an easy fix....

Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds to me like your not downshifting as speed decreases. Happens often to me if I have to stop suddenly or forget to downshift while slowing. Usually sticks in a higher gear and I have to release clutch a little for it to shift into lower gear. I think we have a Neutral finder on our bikes which makes it easier to locate neutral, sometimes making it more difficult to find first. Hope this helps and nothing more serious.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ITHAPPENS
Usually sticks in a higher gear and I have to release clutch a little for it to shift into lower gear.
I forgot about this little glitch that plagues those shifts that are done after the bike has really slowed. It could certainly be as simple as that. And, a slight clutch release does fix it.

Either way, I hope it's one of these easy things!

Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 PM

I recently purchased an 07 KLX250s and have noticed that if I do not downshift as I slow and either come to a stop or am rolling slowly I encounter what you described. I feel like it is just part of the transmission design but I plan on playing with different motor oils to ease the problem. If you have not changed the motor oil, start with that (easy, cheap and good maint anyway). I have had good luck on other bikes that had odd shift issues by just finding a fluid that makes the tranny happy for the way I shift.

I don't think there is any one 'super oil' but I do believe in using motorcycle specific oil due to the wet clutch on a bike. Beyond that I think each bike lilkes certain oils. I am also cheap, so I go low budget on oils and have found Bel-Ray regular oil and part synthetic oil to work well. Although my Concours always missed upshifts on Bel-Ray and was smooth as silk with Castrol half synthetic. As I think about this, my dirt bikes seem to like Bel-Ray and my street bikes like Castrol - go figure.

Do make sure your shift lever is not contacting anything as mentioned and also inspect it for cracks. My KLR was shifting odd one day, upon inspection my shift lever was cracked as was allowing it to contact the case during shifts.

Troy

Old 07-11-2012, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I think its common with our bikes. I have to downshift while slowing down to a stop to get to 1st. Sometimes I throttle a little while stepping on the shifter while in stop to get to first.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

My habit is to use engine braking to slow down along with the brakes. Clutch, a little rev, down shift, clutch out. Downshifting is a breeze this way.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

just need to be downshifting as you slow down at the right speed....it becomes natural after some riding....i'm usually downshifting and engine braking as i slow down....downshifting one by one and engine braking gear by gear....if you stop and try to stomp down to first, it can get little clunky getting to 1st....downshifting too fast while still in higher speed can also get clunky or grinding....if you can't get use to it, get an adjustable lever and set the lever further away, so you can pull in lot more on the clutch....this will also solve the problem....

Old 07-12-2012, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine is pretty bad if I don't down shift while coming to a stop. If I stop in 2nd it won't go to first unless I let the clutch out and pull it back in. It's a pain, but once you know what the deal is and how to get it to shift... it's still a pain.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

dont clucth just bang gears to first and make sure you follow trough all the way going down they made nutral easy to find on this bike imo but then again the bikes i ride other than the klx are a whole diffrent breed, and no one sit here an tell me its bad for the trans i have put almost 45k on her with no trans or clucth problems shifting like i do

Quick Reply: Downshifting and ending up in neutral