The Downfalls of the KLX 250S???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Default The Downfalls of the KLX 250S???

I'm more into off roading. I'm 25 years old and have been riding all my life. I've been doing alot of research on all the dual sport bikes and no im gonna get the klx. Its definatley the choice, the suspensions great, but the kawasaki frame doesn't seem as solid as it can be but it seems to be a great all around bike. I've read everything in this forum and no that the gas tank is too small,tires get worn quick, your issues with the sprocket etc. Is there any other down falls? there got to be some other downfalls besides that its under powered That some of you might have trouble admitting, come on be honest. Have any of you guys took the bike off road yet to do some real trail riding where the bike was getting used and abused. When i get it I no i'm gonna get the folding mirrors but come on guys, as you can see just need some info.. tell me the downfalls so I know what to expect. No dealership around CT allow test rides, around where i'am so i need the advice. I'm glad i found this forum and will all beable to help each other out over the long run when problems come up.. take care guys!!!!

Justin

Old 01-08-2006, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: The Downfalls of the KLX 250S???

I've done some very serious single track (with lots of rocks and loose sand-like dirt both) on mine. It's great off road. Even the stock gearing works well and the tires are real off road tires.

The bike could use a bit more power but that's easy (if not cheap) to fix.

Tank is too small for long rides.

I think the arrangement of the choke sucks. It's hard to reach and is either on or off on my bike. No in between unless you hold it with your hand (which you can't because it's so hard to reach).

That's it. You'll love it.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

As far as trail ridding, I am probably the least experienced here as my last off road bike was in 1979 when I had a Hodaka 125. I need to ride at my own pace for a year before I can even give a report. But I do know because of my weight (230) I need to take the back sprocket up to a 46 or 48 tooth to drop the gearing range down. Other than that, so far I really like the bike, and for me I probablt won't change anything on the bike, since I like things to stay as stock as possible, except the fender flairs, the pelican case, and sprocket upgrade. The tank is not an issue for me, since even if I want to ride all day I only have to travel a couple of miles to find the roads and trails, and the extra gas I can carry in the trunk will get me back in a pinch. Oh and I hit the reserve at 72 miles, what does that mean for the range of the tank?

deej

Old 01-08-2006, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Scat and I were running trails this weekend, what a blast. Finally have the bike set up great on and off/road, the 13/45 gears are perfect for DS, the power is more than acceptable off road, and will run 80mph on the hiway. I was jumping off roots and popping over drainage ditches. The front comes up very easy, and mileage was 56+ beating the hell out of first and second gear. Had a problem with carb icing on the way to the trail, but I now believe the snorkle must stay in the air box to displace moisture to the bottom of the box( rainy day today), I'll post a thread later on that. The bike was light enough for me to pull it out from a creek buried up to the carb in mud and water. All in all: The gears, choke, snorkle(personal issue), fuel tank size, the spatter over the front and rear fender, and the front brake line blocking the view of the speedo. Oh, and aftermarket stuff.

Old 01-09-2006, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I've got 300 miles on mine now. There hasn't been any negative surprises. The bike is basically what you see and have heard about. What has surprised me is how capable the bike is on- and off-road. I was just riding down at our river. That does not sound very interesting except that our river is sand and water. Lots of quicksand. This silly little bike just goes through everything, as long as you don't stop or lose your momentum. I haven't even dropped the air pressure in the tires yet. On-road, the bike handles good enough that I find myself not slowing down for corners as much as I have on previous bikes. It is also very easy to trail brake into corners if you are going a little too fast. The bike is what it is. I got rid of my Zrex for it and I don't regret it at all.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dazjr

I got rid of my Zrex for it and I don't regret it at all.
I am thinking about doing the same. But don't you miss the power of the Zrex. [sm=gears.gif] I do miss riding a Dual sport bike though.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:15 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I have nearly 400 miles on mine already, and am loving it. Going to Longview this weekend to visit my mom, and I am going to sneak away and go look at bikes at the kawasaki dealership. Hey I got a question for everyone. I bought the 250 at the 5.9% and that's good an all, but if I put anything else on the Kawasaki card, its like 17%. So how can I get a couple more mikes and still get the good rate? Do I re-apply for two more bikes as a "new" customer? Well I know I need ridding gear, and maybe I'll see if the parts place has the 13 tooth and the spacer. I'll let you know what I end up with. Now I need to look up how often to change oil, I already forgot....every 1000 miles? Oh yea the owner's manual.. LOL Hey anyone have one of those Honda Fat cat bikes laying around? The DNR guys I went ridding with last Friday had a couple of them, and I think one of those would be perfect for the wife. Low to the ground, and automatic.[8D]

deej

Old 01-10-2006, 02:51 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slip

ORIGINAL: dazjr

I got rid of my Zrex for it and I don't regret it at all.
I am thinking about doing the same. But don't you miss the power of the Zrex. [sm=gears.gif] I do miss riding a Dual sport bike though.
I really liked my Zrex. Alot. I basically loved everything about it. It was everything I have ever wanted in a street bike. I didn't want to get rid of it. My problem is, with two little kids, I can't afford to have multiple bikes. I was very hesitant about trading. I miss the power of the Zrex a little when I ride the 250 on the street. However, I get the same speed thrill as the Zrex on the 250 when I ride offroad, but its at a lot slower speed. Which is a good thing, since I want to be around as long I can for my kids. I had a KLR650 for about 2 1/2 years and I missed that bike more than I thought I would. So in some ways, I feel like I came back home again getting the 250.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:24 AM

thanks guys for all the info, i can't wait for my yamaha to sell so i could go pick up the klx.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:04 PM

dazjr and slip,

I fully understand your feelings - both of them.

Fortunately, at least at this time, my ZRX still resides with me. It is without a doubt one of the most competent bikes I have ever ridden. Kind of like the KLR650, except with another 100 rwhp!

The KLX250S is another bike typical of Kawasaki. A great little bike to have for riding off road and truly enjoying.

I live in Florida on the southern edge of the Ocala National Forest. I have about 400,000 acres of pine forest to ride literally at my back door. I'm on dirt in less than 5 minutes, less than a mile. The KLX is simply the most fun in that environment.

There is also a KLR250 in my garage. It's a super bike too, but with the kickstart only option on it I have problems riding it. I have an artificial right hip and riding the KLR250 causes me pain when I start it.

Glad to hear you are both enjoying your KLX250's and not missing your Rex'x a whole bunch.