Don't wear dirtbike gloves on the street!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Don't wear dirtbike gloves on the street!

Low sided today in a turn on the way to work due to loose gravel from all the rain we have been getting in the 'burgh. Anywho, my dirtbike gloves didn't stand a chance so my pinky had to get stitches. Ironically the street gloves I ordered 2 weeks ago just came in today when I got home from work.

What really matters is once I bend the shift lever back my bike will be fine other than scratches lol

Gear up and gear always brothers!

Old 07-18-2013, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah dirt bike gloves are as good as tissue paper

Old 07-18-2013, 02:25 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I always wear dirt gloves when riding...street or pavement...always have. What dirt gloves did you have on? My particular Fox gloves have padding in all the critical areas but still breathe well. In fact, the reason I haven't been fond of most street gloves I've tried is that they're a bit on the bit on the too warm side.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

They were fox dirt paws. This is actually the second time the street ate dirt gloves. My other pair was nice fly racing evolution gloves. Both wrecks were pretty low speed. Fly gloves was 10-15mph and dirt paws was 25-30mph. The problem is the synthetic leather in dirtbike gloves is usually too thin and not strong enough for street abrasion resistance.

I feel the same way as about the heat as you TNC so these are the street bike gloves that i just got in the mail after my accident. They are like a combination of street and dirt bike gloves. Top looks like fox bomber gloves but the bottom has much better leather and more padding than fox bomber gloves.

EVS NYC Gloves | MotoSport

Old 07-18-2013, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Still though after today I am considering pure streetbike gloves since I have an sf and am on the road 99% of the time. I think id rather have sweaty hands than loose more skin on my hands

Old 07-18-2013, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Hopefully as the dual-sport & adventure segments grow, there will be a better selection of gear for us. Generally speaking, off-road gear doesn't provide the weather protection and abrasion resistance needed on slab, and street wear doesn't provide the ventilation, dexterity, or armor needed off road.

I'd love to hear any recommendations from anyone who's found a boot that is actually waterproof, provides streetable ankle rotation, and has a stiff enough sole for standing all day on the pegs!

Old 07-18-2013, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I've got a pair of Fox dirt gloves, can't remember which ones, but I've been considering a new pair for this very reason. I noticed in the short time I've used mine that the finger tips are starting to get fuzzy from my jackets velcro. I'm thinking asphalt will eat these for breakfast.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I wear Speed and Strength Lock n Load gauntlets in 115 degree heat, I'm more concerned with the heat of my leather jacket and my helmet, never really noticed any heat in my hands haha.

I wear O'neal element boots, great for off road, break in real nice, and can be made water proof.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I've got Speed and Strength Hang'em High gloves. Short, comfortable, leather for the palm, mesh on the top. Love them.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I wear street gloves for dirt. I lose a little bit of the comfort factor but I gain the skin protection of the street gloves. Hope you heal up soon!

Quick Reply: Don't wear dirtbike gloves on the street!