Don't underestimate the mighty KLX.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up Don't underestimate the mighty KLX.

Over the last couple years my klx has been an awesome friend. A back roads tourer, a motocrosser, explorer, commuter, and evening ride stress reliever. It inspires my imagination for building my own accessories and I have truly enjoyed that part of it. I love camping and backpacking and this year I decided I wanted to use the KLX to get me there. I have a hard panier system designed and pending assembly. I've been camping the last three weekends and needed something to get me through until the racks are done. A late night in the garage and $20 in PVC and I went camping. I have had a so much fun and its amazing how much I've packed and it has never missed a beat. This weekend was around 150 mile round trip and made the trip there and back so much more exciting! The best thing is that I can pack it on and ride to camp, and then still have a fun trail rig when i get there. Sorry for the bad phone pics. Happy Riding!
Name:  IMG_39721.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  51.1 KB
Name:  IMG_39681.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  54.1 KB
Name:  IMG_37921.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  78.4 KB
Name:  IMG_37941.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  80.5 KB
Name:  IMG_37951.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  84.2 KB
Name:  IMG_39751.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  49.4 KB

Old 06-05-2013, 04:53 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Not my idea of way to do a trip or a way to best use the KLX, but I am thoroughly impressed with your imaginative approach to toting your gear. If it does the job and you have fun with it, that's the goal. Salute!

Old 06-05-2013, 12:56 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

That's very cool. I like it. Did you have any problems with the fully loaded bike on the kickstand? I had an issue with mine when loaded...it was like my kickstand was too long (suspension compressed to much). Did you adjust preload any on the rear shock?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Very utilitarian, I like it.
Am I correct that the rack is only held on by two bolts at the front? If so, I guess the whole thing would come off, and go back on, pretty easy. I think I'd like that too.
How much did it cost you to make?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:35 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mucky_Waters
Very utilitarian, I like it.
Am I correct that the rack is only held on by two bolts at the front? If so, I guess the whole thing would come off, and go back on, pretty easy. I think I'd like that too.
How much did it cost you to make?
On how much it's bolted to the bike/frame, he really kind of went the approach that soft bags use where the saddle and rear rack/fender are doing the bulk of the work. For carrying heavier, bulkier loads, it's really kind of ingenious. I think the KLX rear subframe isn't that suited to carrying much weight without problems down the road. This approach does a good job of bypassing some of the...and on the very cheap. It's kind of like an external frame backpack.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

That's awesome, I camped for 4 days on a 700 mile trip like 4 years ago. The bike was perfect for what we were doing.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

As far as the worry about too much weight on the subframe, I had no problem carrying this 40 lb mostly on the subframe.

Name:  P8227014.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  113.1 KB

And if something was going to break it would have been on these roads, man they were rough.

Name:  P8247280.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  98.0 KB

Old 06-05-2013, 02:50 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

deej...in your case I'd be more concerned about the constant washing regimen causing the main frame to corrode and crack.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I can't wait for my trip 2000 miles down route 66 from Las Vegas, NV to Senatobia, MS. Looks like a lot of fun

Old 06-06-2013, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
On how much it's bolted to the bike/frame, he really kind of went the approach that soft bags use where the saddle and rear rack/fender are doing the bulk of the work. For carrying heavier, bulkier loads, it's really kind of ingenious. I think the KLX rear subframe isn't that suited to carrying much weight without problems down the road. This approach does a good job of bypassing some of the...and on the very cheap. It's kind of like an external frame backpack.
Yeah, looking at the pictures a little closer, it looks like the elbows, on the lower front tubing of that rack, simply insert over the passenger foot pegs, so no bolts at all. Yes, very ingenious, I like it even more now.

Quick Reply: Don't underestimate the mighty KLX.