Does anyone own a Versa-Haul?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Does anyone own a Versa-Haul?

Seems like the best option for my capped Toyota. I have not found any "bad" reviews on them, curious if anyone here has comments.. The thought of having the bike hang off the hitch like that makes me a bit nervous but I've not read any "horror stories" of people losing their cargo. Found some positive chat about them over at TTalk but not much to be found here. Thanks!

Last edited by spoof; 08-23-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the amc-400 (I think that's the model). Ebay, alum , made in china. It's worked fine. 1/2 ton f150 4x4, even with just my crf it squats the back end down enough I get flashed for high beams at night, otherwise it works great. You do have to remember to get all your stuff in (or out) of the canopy before you load the bike up. And I put a peice of plexiglass on the rear window, not that the bar hits it, but I rest the bar aginst the window till I pull the straps tight. The 'tail" can scrape driving though a ditch or deep dip, that's the only time I've heard of one breaking, Also use quality tie downs and double up for piece of mind.

Last edited by RimBender; 08-23-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Hmmm,

No-name AMC-400 $129.99
Versa-Haul VH-55RO $436.04

?

Old 08-23-2010, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Search function on here is touchy. Search "Hitch haulers" https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...earchid=221184 There are a few pics of my amc 400 in some of those threads.
Mine is the same as rimbenders. I lean my bike on the glass too, and forget to put stuff in before the bike is on. LOL I love it and have thousands of miles on it. I got mine in late 2008, and at the time it was $100 including shipping. The clamp that tightens the rack to the reciever makes the whole thing rock solid. Rimbender do you have any details on the one that you know failed?
Dan

Old 08-23-2010, 03:15 PM
jxg
1st Gear Member

i have an add-a-bike, probably in between model of the amc-400 and the versahaul. it has a different method of holding the bike in place (bar across the seat and a clamp on the footpeg. i still use a set of straps back to the hitch just for added comfort.

so far, no issues (knocking on wood).

Old 08-23-2010, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
I have the amc-400 (I think that's the model). Ebay, alum , made in china. It's worked fine. 1/2 ton f150 4x4, even with just my crf it squats the back end down enough I get flashed for high beams at night, otherwise it works great. You do have to remember to get all your stuff in (or out) of the canopy before you load the bike up. And I put a peice of plexiglass on the rear window, not that the bar hits it, but I rest the bar aginst the window till I pull the straps tight. The 'tail" can scrape driving though a ditch or deep dip, that's the only time I've heard of one breaking, Also use quality tie downs and double up for piece of mind.
I have the same model. Just bought it off ebay for 114.00 shipped. I have only used it once and it seemed to work fine. I would like to find a way to support it a little more so there is less side to side sway of the carrier. Not a bad deal for the price.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I have an ultimate MX hauler and have now for about 3 years. I love it. It also doubles as a bike stand in the garage with the proper base (which they sell). Worked great with my KLX.

Just another option for you.

http://ultimatemxhauler.com/

Old 08-23-2010, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TexasKawai
I have the same model. Just bought it off ebay for 114.00 shipped. I have only used it once and it seemed to work fine. I would like to find a way to support it a little more so there is less side to side sway of the carrier. Not a bad deal for the price.

Do you have the anti tilt locking device on there? When I put my rack on, and lock it down with the anti tilt thing, it becomes one with the truck. There is no slop up down or side to side. Wiggle the bike and the truck wiggles.
Dan

Name:  vh_lock_bracket.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  15.8 KB

Last edited by dan888; 08-23-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

This is the one I would buy if I needed to carry on the hitch, no tie downs.

LINK!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

dan888, the one that failed didn't really fail, the guy drug it hard going through a ditch off road which sort of launched the bike up and down loosening the (cheap) tie downs he had, the rear wheel hopped off. Yes the anti tilt is a good thing, I know guys that don't have it and have been impressed with my cheapy that does. I did have to grind a little on it (the anti tilt) to make it fit my receiver better.

To make the bike more stable you need to make the sling angle as wide as possible. Strap to your forks above the bottom t clamp (soft ties) , NOT the handlebars. I also took it a step further by putting a big eye bolt through my bumper hitch hole, making the sling angle even wider.

Don't trust the wing nut ramp mounting on the amc400, a friend had his blow off after the thread stripped. I just lay it face down with the lip engaged onto the carrier and tongue, a bungee it.

the "stinger arm" looks a little hard on the old seat/tank Deej ?

Last edited by RimBender; 08-24-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Does anyone own a Versa-Haul?