View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I Want Kawasaki Forums to Follow the Rules.
81.48%
No, I Want Kawasaki Forums to Ignore the Rules.
18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Want This Forum To Be Run By The Rules?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Do You Want This Forum To Be Run By The Rules?

I have been a member since September and a guest (lurker)for a couple of months before that. I don't see that things have gotten "completely out of hand". Yes, rules are established for a reason and this forum is no exception. But if someones post or opinion offends someone else it is probably because the offendee is taking things a little to personal. #13 & #14in the Forum Rules tells you what you should do if you have a complaint! Freedom of speech and respect forour fellow members. Sound like a plan ladies and gentlemen? By the way, I have throughly enjoyed this Forum and hope to continue to draw from the diverse knowledgecontained herein.HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU ALL!

Old 12-17-2006, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I think we've all "bent the rules" at one time or another, and some people more than others (and I'm not referring specifically to Iowaguy, although its pretty apparent that his recent actions are what precipitated this vote). I'm guilty as well for throwing in posts with wise cracks and pictures that are off topic, but hopefully they're positive additions rather than detracting from the discussion. (And just to clarify: I sometimes use sarcasm in jest, but I have never intentionally insulted anyone. My hope is that nobody has ever interpreted my posts in a negative or derogatory way.)

Ok, now that the confession is out of the way ... I'm on the fence on this one.

Yes, wesometimes haveproblems, but I thinkthey can be worked out without going to the extreme of policing every post. And yes, sometimes persistent problems have to be dealt with more stringently, like deleting posts& threads, and in extreme situations, as far as revoking forum priviledges.

No, I wouldn't like to see the "character" of our section change, which, asI'm reading it,would be affected by the black & white issue of this vote. I share Marty's recent comment that this is like our "club", and voting to abide strictly by the rules would have a negative impact on that.

I think the middle ground is to deal with individuals ourselves in private (which may, or may not have been done recently or in the past "flare-up"); deal collectively as a group in public if things escalate; and then call in the Administrators for extreme measures when things get beyond our control. I think we should call the Moderators' attention to situations that obviously deserve immediate attention, but also to allow them to monitor "developing situations" (such as this). Let them exercise their judgement (which is essentially what they're there for) and they'll do the right thing.

And that might be the answer right there ... they're called Moderators because they should moderate, or keep things close to the "group norms". If everyone in this section behaved the same way and constantly broke the forum rules (within legal limits, of course) ... what's the problem?

My vote is to let the Moderators figure out what the "sweet spot" of our group is, then help us to maintain it when we have a problem maintaining it ourselves.

So there's my voice in the crowd.

Mike

Old 12-17-2006, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I pretty much agree with that. From personal experience, I'm part of a football forum were the 'moderators' eventually morphed into 'board *****' rather than just weeding-outa few bad apples. Once that happened, the board had more of a sterile, antiseptic type of atmosphere. The mods were so quick to move or delete a post that many times they would do so in error. Also, they were hair triggered about threatening someone with banishment, which sometimes resulted in the loss of a valuable member

Just bring-up the 'special cases' to the mod's and let them check it out. I'm sure they have a goodfeel for what keeps the board rolling vs what is counter productive. You always will have one or two in the woodwork who make it a hobby to rip apart whatothers are posting. If this type of thing turns into a trend, just request that the mod do a search on posts from that particualperson.

ORIGINAL: YYY.GUY

I think we've all "bent the rules" at one time or another, and some people more than others (and I'm not referring specifically to Iowaguy, although its pretty apparent that his recent actions are what precipitated this vote). I'm guilty as well for throwing in posts with wise cracks and pictures that are off topic, but hopefully they're positive additions rather than detracting from the discussion. (And just to clarify: I sometimes use sarcasm in jest, but I have never intentionally insulted anyone. My hope is that nobody has ever interpreted my posts in a negative or derogatory way.)

Ok, now that the confession is out of the way ... I'm on the fence on this one.

Yes, wesometimes haveproblems, but I thinkthey can be worked out without going to the extreme of policing every post. And yes, sometimes persistent problems have to be dealt with more stringently, like deleting posts& threads, and in extreme situations, as far as revoking forum priviledges.

No, I wouldn't like to see the "character" of our section change, which, asI'm reading it,would be affected by the black & white issue of this vote. I share Marty's recent comment that this is like our "club", and voting to abide strictly by the rules would have a negative impact on that.

I think the middle ground is to deal with individuals ourselves in private (which may, or may not have been done recently or in the past "flare-up"); deal collectively as a group in public if things escalate; and then call in the Administrators for extreme measures when things get beyond our control. I think we should call the Moderators' attention to situations that obviously deserve immediate attention, but also to allow them to monitor "developing situations" (such as this). Let them exercise their judgement (which is essentially what they're there for) and they'll do the right thing.

And that might be the answer right there ... they're called Moderators because they should moderate, or keep things close to the "group norms". If everyone in this section behaved the same way and constantly broke the forum rules (within legal limits, of course) ... what's the problem?

My vote is to let the Moderators figure out what the "sweet spot" of our group is, then help us to maintain it when we have a problem maintaining it ourselves.

So there's my voice in the crowd.

Mike

Old 12-17-2006, 04:12 AM

I am not offended easily, butIowaguy has gone too far. I vote him out.

There is nothing else wrong with the forum, and nothing else needs fixing.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:38 AM

Wow guys!!! I just read every post from iowaguy. Most of the comments came across as "sarcastic opinions". On the on the other hand, everyone who replyed just played into it. It just seemed to escalate. I do see the point of this poll, but i dont believe we can single any-one person out this time. We had more than enough comebacks and pics that were inaproperate. Also a poll like this should only be put up by an admin. This poll is only going to add fuel to the fire. So here are my suggestions:

Problem- Mild annoying people will be part of any fourm.
Solution- just dont reply or respond to the post

problem-personal attacks
solutio- dont reply or respond to post/report via PM to admin

problem- you can not control yourself and you need to respond (for what ever reason you may have)
Solution- keep it to PM/if it gets out of hand PM admin and block the person

i dont want to see anyone leave or get banned. This forum has alot of great people. The 250 section i a major part of this forum, so you guys and gals are gonna have a few more problems than most. Lets deal with it, and move on. Lets not bring the negative attention to this forum.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:09 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Gotrice you are wise beyond your years, I think you have said it in a way that nobody has. You need to go buy the KLX 250 and get over here and be an admin too.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:12 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jellyfish

I am not offended easily, butIowaguy has gone too far. I vote him out.

There is nothing else wrong with the forum, and nothing else needs fixing.
Well this is not a poll to vote anyone out, it was a thread to get an idea if the rules need to be relaxed or tightened up. I for one really hope we can all just start all over each day as if its the first time we are posting. Except you guys can still give me a hard time about my clean bike.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Deej, lets not foget about your KLX250 forum crackberry addiction either....

Old 12-17-2006, 06:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Usually if you just ignore someone like that and don't acknowlege or get into a pissing match with them they just get bored and go find someone or somewhere else to spread hate and discontent.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:34 AM

Usually if you just ignore someone like that and don't acknowlege or get into a pissing match with them they just get bored and go find someone or somewhere else to spread hate and discontent

+1

Quick Reply: Do You Want This Forum To Be Run By The Rules?