Do you let friends ride your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Do you let friends ride your bike?

Do you let friends ride your bike? I haven't in years, sometimes when I have an old beater bike I'll let anyone on it but not my nice stuff. This was a hard learned lesson over the years as I've seen bikes that I've put thousands of accident free miles on thrown away on a trip around the yard or down the road. And I'm not talkin newby riders either just friends who ride and it still happened. The worst was one time when I had my XL600 and I was going to ride it up a ramp into the back of my pick-up. I left the keys in it and an idiot friend decided to do it for me as he'd seen me do this many times, well he jumped it off the plank and into the back window of the truck. It bent the bed forward into the cab and broke the window and he said it was my fault as I had the ramp too steep. This was something I did nearly daily and have never had an issue. So do you let friends ride your decient bikes?

Old 02-27-2011, 09:18 AM
1st Gear Member

NOPE!!. But there is a world's difference between mine and their motorcycles. Mine is the dual-sport that I use across the most challegning terrain. Theirs' are crouch rockets that can speed at 160mph in a straight line. Need to have a much better balance to ride mine, or you'll fall over.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I let my mates ride my bike. We have a "you bend it, you mend it" agreement, so I am comfortable doing that. Also, it's a dirt bike with plenty of scratches on it already, so not much concern for me.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
Yeah, I let my mates ride my bike. We have a "you bend it, you mend it" agreement, so I am comfortable doing that. Also, it's a dirt bike with plenty of scratches on it already, so not much concern for me.
Same here.
I let anybody who wants to try it, and I encourage them to use it hard. That's what it's for.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes
I let guys who actuall own a bike ride mine. Funny thing is although they have all offered I have not ridden any of theirs. All their bikes are about twice the price of mine or more and I dont want to be responsible if I f something up. Also not that interested in rideing a big heavy bike that I have to manover around bad spots in the road. I want light, agill and capeable.
I did put about 8,000 miles on a friends ninja when I was in the Navy. He bought it dropped it and was more comfortable with me rideing it than getting back on it. Lots more details I wont go into.

But if your question was would I let someone ride my bike that I did not think would sort out any damage done then No.

Come to think of it I did have one guy wreck my bike but I rolled his blazer the same day. He was happy becuase he wanted out of the thing anyway. We both claimed on insurance and deductables were the same.

Cheers Jim

Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Ill let any of my riding buddies ride my bikes, as i have seen them ride and know thier abilites. They all will let me ride thier bikes too, cause they know im a good rider. They wont do anything to my bike i havent already done. lol When the weather gets nice my buddie said i could ride his KTM 250 xcw for a whole days ride, cause ive never really ridden a two stroke.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Sure, anyone I ride with can ride my bike....even if it was one of the people that had a bike I HAD to ride, to get them out of a jam, or across a goat trail, or down a particularly nasty hillside. They're still good enough riders to be able to ride mine any place they feel comfortable riding it. None of them are teenagers...actually, none of them are even in their 20's....I think that's a big part of the reason why I don't mind them riding my machines.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Whoever wants to ride my bike - go right ahead. Not going to ride it any harder than I already do

Plus the bike has proven to me that it's very tough. hahaa

1st Gear Member

Yeah, I'll let my brothers and buddies ride my bike. We've always traded rides on and off. And we all know how to ride. Non-riders would be considered on a case by case basis.

Bad stuff can happen...and unfortunately I'm the one who did the worst damage; my buddy had just finished a complete rebuild of his TRX250R quad - it was really, really nice. Calling it his baby would have been appropriate at the time. I think it was the first day he had it running - mid winter, tires full of ice screws. He let me take it for a rip. I made it only about 15 yards down the driveway in a beautiful powerslide before I hooked the left front tire in the inside snowbank, which spun the quad and sent it into a barrel roll. It was a freak kind of accident, but all my fault. Ended up busting up some plastic and bending the bars. I felt REALLY low. I still feel really bad about it, and that was something like a decade ago. If I recall correctly, after assessing the damage, my buddy let me finish that ride, and we continue to trade rides to this day.

1st Gear Member

I'm 17 and have some freinds that think their just the s***, only one of them knows howto ride. I have let him ride it in my yard because I trust him.
But my best freind doesn't know jack s*** about motors let alone balance or what dirt really feels like. I would never let him ride my bike, he's asked and I just told him NO. I didn't spend $4000 and then extra money on mods just to see my bike crash into the ground and then have to spend $200 on new plastics and parts. It's just not worth it.

Quick Reply: Do you let friends ride your bike?