"Do not install KDX 200 snorkle"

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klx_250s
So you did all the drilling and stuff he suggests on his site and it worked?

You do realize that question is like when you call someone and they answer the phone, then you say "Oh, you're there?" Nope, somewhere else.

Or you walk into work with your helmet under your arm and someone says "Did you ride your motorcycle?" No, you never know when there might be an air raid.

Or you see someone you know and you say "Oh, you're here?" No I left yesterday.

Yes. It has now for about five years - even with a KDX snorkel, and a dab of Blendzall Green Label in the gas might smell pretty good.

By the way, I don't think he just suggests them, pretty sure he did them too. As had a lot of others back in 2006-up when the bike first came out and no kits existed.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
You do realize that question is like when you call someone and they answer the phone, then you say "Oh, you're there?" Nope, somewhere else.

Or you walk into work with your helmet under your arm and someone says "Did you ride your motorcycle?" No, you never know when there might be an air raid.

Or you see someone you know and you say "Oh, you're here?" No I left yesterday.

Yes. It has now for about five years - even with a KDX snorkel, and a dab of Blendzall Green Label in the gas might smell pretty good.

By the way, I don't think he just suggests them, pretty sure he did them too. As had a lot of others back in 2006-up when the bike first came out and no kits existed.
Right.. because everyone understands what plug and play means. Lol

Also there are 2 complete pages of mods on his site that involve drilling and then there is the continued mods page so I think it's a valid question.

Why does he say use a .020" when everyone else says dont go over .018"?

That's why I ask these questions.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:06 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ForestThump
Um...are you being facetious? Is this a real concern where you ride? Kinda makes possible encounters with mountain lions or bears in my neck of the woods seem rather trivial.
Yes, just joking...mainly. February 2019 a few of my friends were dirt biking on one of the more remote 2-track sections of the NP and came across 25-30 illegals wanting to give themselves up for amnesty...not threatening. That was very unusual. USBP has cracked down since then, and nothing like that has repeated in the area.

You'd have to run across cartel operations for any issue of danger, and the Big Bend area isn't any kind of hotspot for that activity. I wouldn't camp remotely along the river in the outback anymore down there, but even then there is little chance of problems there.

Other areas on our border...I wouldn't bet on anything.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Right.. because everyone understands what plug and play means. Lol

Also there are 2 complete pages of mods on his site that involve drilling and then there is the continued mods page so I think it's a valid question.

Why does he say use a .020" when everyone else says dont go over .018"?

That's why I ask these questions.

We did what he did. I have no idea where .018 came from, we did .020. He has all those pages because he worked with all those modifications, living the early days of the KLX. My brother did the adjustable needle immediately, I tried shimming. I put in the adjustable needle referred to later. He does note some stuff that he knows of and maybe has not worked with, but that is obvious when it is the case.

I do hope you did find the humor in my comment. You ask if I did the stuff after I said I did the stuff. What am I gonna say? No, I just said I did to screw with everyone... not.

I also plan to do more modifications that he has written about and others have done. Like a big bore, a flat slide. I still will do more research. Bugged TNC for flat slide jetting. Summer is freeing up for time to work with something other than school stuff.

Last edited by klx678; 01-22-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Yes, just joking...mainly. February 2019 a few of my friends were dirt biking on one of the more remote 2-track sections of the NP and came across 25-30 illegals wanting to give themselves up for amnesty...not threatening. That was very unusual. USBP has cracked down since then, and nothing like that has repeated in the area.

You'd have to run across cartel operations for any issue of danger, and the Big Bend area isn't any kind of hotspot for that activity. I wouldn't camp remotely along the river in the outback anymore down there, but even then there is little chance of problems there.

Other areas on our border...I wouldn't bet on anything.
In my area you have to be more concerned with hidden agricultural area protection than any wild animals. The animals don't carry rifles.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I do hope you did find the humor in my comment. You ask if I did the stuff after I said I did the stuff. What am I gonna say? No, I just said I did to screw with everyone... not.

I also plan to do more modifications that he has written about and others have done. Like a big bore, a flat slide. I still will do more research. Bugged TNC for flat slide jetting. Summer is freeing up for time to work with something other than school stuff.
Fair enough..
On another note: how the hell do you get a kdx snorkel on the 250 air box lid? Does the old one just pop out? I just looked at mine and pulled it around a little and it seems like its permanently attached.

Do most of you guys replace the snorkel and lid?

Old 01-23-2020, 07:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Fair enough..
On another note: how the hell do you get a kdx snorkel on the 250 air box lid? Does the old one just pop out? I just looked at mine and pulled it around a little and it seems like its permanently attached.

Do most of you guys replace the snorkel and lid?
the snorkel has a small lip under/over the part where it enters the lid. just push a bit of that lip on the other side and the rest goes easy. the lid is plastic and the snorkel is some sort of rubber type material, so it's flexible enough to push in/out. I guess you could push like a popsicle stick into there to get it started but you shouldn't need any tools. I think the snorkel people are using as bigger snorkel just pops into that same hole then.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dtrackermslazgromthailassi
the snorkel has a small lip under/over the part where it enters the lid. just push a bit of that lip on the other side and the rest goes easy. the lid is plastic and the snorkel is some sort of rubber type material, so it's flexible enough to push in/out. I guess you could push like a popsicle stick into there to get it started but you shouldn't need any tools. I think the snorkel people are using as bigger snorkel just pops into that same hole then.
Does it matter if you push it out the top or through the bottom? Just trying to cover my bases in advance.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:05 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I don't remember that .020" recommendation for the starter jet. I and some others have used the .018" drill bit, also referred to as a #77 bit. Not saying .020" doesn't work.

On the OEM snorkel in the airbox lid, I'm not positive, but didn't Kawasaki use an adhesive on some of those? It's been too long since I pulled mine that I can't recall, but I know they have occasionally glued rubber items like airbox boots, carb boots, and such to the airbox...along with lots of other rubber items.

If yours has glue, it will still come off without damage. Just be gentle with it and work it off.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I don't remember that .020" recommendation for the starter jet. I and some others have used the .018" drill bit, also referred to as a #77 bit. Not saying .020" doesn't work.

On the OEM snorkel in the airbox lid, I'm not positive, but didn't Kawasaki use an adhesive on some of those? It's been too long since I pulled mine that I can't recall, but I know they have occasionally glued rubber items like airbox boots, carb boots, and such to the airbox...along with lots of other rubber items.

If yours has glue, it will still come off without damage. Just be gentle with it and work it off.
Gotchya. I have the #77 bit and a pin vice. Also ordered a screw replacement set today to switch to Allen heads. After that I plan on getting a n1tc needle to start my mods.

Can someone explain what drilling the slide to 7/64ths does? I cant get a mental picture for some reason.

Quick Reply: "Do not install KDX 200 snorkle"