"Do not install KDX 200 snorkle"

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cjbiker
Here's some more info on resonant airboxes:

Still Air Box Design for tuned engines
Sorry, but, you guys are spending wayyyy too much time thinking about it... lol... just go ride.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I can't even buy a kdx200 snorkel in Thailand......had to get a Boss175 snorkel & with a little help from my dremel it fits perfectly!!

+1 with EMS_0525, get out & ride... snorkel or not ...lol

Old 05-09-2012, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
The helmholz resonator is for EPA noise regs. Not your resonant airbox performance theory. I don't know why you would think that restricting your intake would make more power. I do agree that proper jetting is key, a properly jetted bike with a stock snorkel will run better than a badly jetted bike without an airbox lid. CV carbs are sensitive to airbox changes which is why i stuck with the KDX snorkel, also a helmholtz resonator, flowing better and keeping noise down.
Ok, so what are you running for jets? Any exhaust mods? What altitude are you riding at? I've got the KDX snorkel on the shelf and a pile of jets. I ran the KDX snorkel and the Dynojet stage 2 jets and did not notice much difference. I'm willing to mess around with the snorkels and jetting some more. I'm all for max performance out of this little bike, and I can admit it if I'm wrong.

Edit - I posted that from the mobile site, which doesn't show sigs. I see all your mods now, so whatever jetting setup you have won't work for me.

Last edited by cjbiker; 05-09-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
Did you try running your bike with the gas cap open yet?
I did and it runs fine.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you run the lines you removed from the smog circuit to the ground? No capped ports on the tank, right?

Old 05-09-2012, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
Did you run the lines you removed from the smog circuit to the ground? No capped ports on the tank, right?
Ya I did it last night. So I should be good to go. I do think however I'm going to need to tweak the mixture screw and idle over the next week to get it dialed in.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Does "Mike from Dynojet" even own a bike? I've been rinning with the lid off for about 13,000 miles.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Not for anything - but Mike knows his stuff.

Here we are in our little KLX250 world, and we have dozens and dozens of threads on how to setup proper jetting given the seemingly endless variables. There's intake setup (lid on/off, stock/aftermarket filter, stock/KDX snorkel, etc. etc.) and exhaust setup (stock/aftermarket header, dozens of different mufflers - including the stock one, and the stock one with the baffle drilled out). Then there's 10,000+ feet in altitude variations...

Now, go ahead and take ANY random combo of the above, and make a *GOOD* recommendation on which DJ main jet, needle, and how many turns of the fuel screw and see if you get it right the first try. Well? How did you do?

Now, multiply the above variables by 20 or so different bike manufacturers, and then by several models of bikes per manufacturer. Getting the idea yet? There are literally millions of combinations of setups, engines, exhausts, intakes, etc...

I have first-hand experience working with DJ, and Mike. He has nailed my setup TWO for TWO! Not a bad percentage there... Not saying he knows everything, but given that I bought his product, I trust his judgment in setting the bike up. I have no complaints with the KDX snorkel (i.e. lid on) and the setup Mike helped me dial in. Just keep in mind that Mike's field of work is engineering jetting solutions for many, many bikes. Most of us are just hacks when it comes to that... we try something, and see what it does. There's a lot to be said in understanding the how and why that goes into engineering a product.

Last edited by rgoers; 05-09-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Actually you make several good points. There are so many variables out there that can still work for what people are trying to achieve. Your post gives a lot of food for thought. I didn't mean to dig on mike, I have a guy at the bike shop that I trust as well and Mike sounds like he knows what its all about. I've never even opened up my carb, so I guess I need to close my Dorito shute......great now I want Doritos LOL

Old 05-10-2012, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

MMMmmmm... Doritos... what flavor?

I wasn't trying to dig at you either Deej. I think sometimes we lose sight of just how many variable there are, and we want a simple, one-size-fits-all solution (which doesn't exist).

Quick Reply: "Do not install KDX 200 snorkle"