DJ or no DJ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default DJ or no DJ???

I'm trying to decide if I need to drop $65 on a Dynojet kit for the bike or not. The mods I wanna do to it as far as power goes are:

-full Muzzy
-KDX snorkle
-free mods
-7/64 slide drill
-slide spring clippage

Since I'm around sea level and do most of my riding around there, do I need a kit to fine tune or will I be good with the N1TC needle, 128 main and back the fuel screw out 2.5 turns-ish? Is there any benefit to going with the jet kit? I don't wanna waste money on something I won't need you know?

Old 06-09-2009, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I have an 09 and used the NITC needle in the third groove, 122 main (3000 ft ASL) drilled out the Welch plug covering the idle screw, backed out the screw to 2.5 turns, and removed the snorkle all together. I drilled the slide vacuum port to 7/64, and with these changes there is a noticable improvement. You can spend the money if you want, but this set up works fine. Also if you drill the slide there is no need to clip the spring. A 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket helps too. Don't forget to get the e-clip for the needle. Are you any where near LaSalle ? I have family there.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I've gone the same way, but even cheaper. Raised the stock needle 1.5 mm with a collar/shim, #138 main jet and #38 pilot jet. Free mods with a Twin Air filter. Bike runs STRONG. Ask my "450 ridin'" buddies.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Full Muzzy
Jets 132 and 40
Air box lid off
13-45 sprockets

FOR THE WIN!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

so no real need to waste 65 bucks on the kit when I can piece my own together.....sounds good to me! other than the fact that the N1TC needle is adjustable, is there any difference between it and stock? where did you clip your needle for that setup Deej??

Also, with the gearing you got, how's the bike on the highway?? I want that extra low end grunt that the 13 tooth gives but don't want to be OVERLY buzzy on the highway...

Old 06-09-2009, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Well let me rephrase. I ordered (well actually the shop did all my work) the DJ kit and ended up using only the 2 jets, In think it comes with like 5 or 6. Then I sent the remaining ones to another member on here. Sort of a pay it forward kind of thing. That's whats great about this site. I've seen members helping other members and its a great feeling. So if I were you, so that you can get it right, I would order the kit, get the bike running for the mods you do, and give the rest to someone else. Just a thought.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh sorry, the other questions:

Highway speed. I can easily do 60 at 7000 rmp's in 6th gear. But I love the low end power. Its definitely a trade off, but I love off road way more than the highway, so for me it was an easy choice.

As far as the needle and clip and all that, to be quite honest I don't have a clue about how to do all that. I had the shop install the Muzzy, and do the jetting. I wanted it done right and I wanted them to stand behind their work. Both of which they have done. I'll do just about anything, but there are some better left to the experts. After 3 years I am realizing that I could have done all the work myself, but the bike was brand new, and I just wanted that little piece of mind that comes with the professional help of the shop I have.

I did install a kick starter on my wife's 2006 XT 225, and I was surprised how easy that was. But shoot I am after all a Maintenance Mechanic II and I guess the big difference between what I do at work and home is that if I screw it up here at work it doesn't cost me anything.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

that actually makes sense then...didn't wanna have extra jets laying around but if i get the kit then i'll just give them to someone on here afterwards. i noticed on here some guys use the 250 kit and some guys use the 300 kit......is one better than the other? the 300 has a different needle than the 250, and you drill the slide as opposed to replacing the slide spring with the 250 kit........i don't mind doing the work but i found a dyno not too far away so i might try and fine-tune the bike with them once i get everything modded, engine-wise

this site kicks a$$ by the way, thanks again guys!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Not sure on the 250 versus the 300 kit. I seem to recall that mine was the 300.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default jets

i think there is a kawasaki dealer in kingston on the lake road just before

the pen. you'll be able to get the needle,clip,spacer,main jet. dont count

on geting a #40 pilot jet, i've been to at least ad a dozen bike shops

and nothing. i haven't been to kingston in a while so i don't know about

that dealer. i'm betting not , but if you can get a #40 pilot order one

for me and i'll meet you at quinte mall in a few week's for a beer on me

and i'll pay you $10 for the jet. there only about $6 and change but it's

worth it. if you can't get it let me know , i'll order some jets from

www.jetsrus.com and i'll order an extra 40 pilot.

al.b