Distance commuting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Distance commuting?

Anyone doing a long commute on a KLX 250s? My commute is 110 miles round trip, 95% of California freeways. I'm considering doing it on a bike, and would like to use the KLX, but I'm also thinking that picking up a high displacement bike (older Nighthawk, some cruiser... something) may be a better choice.

Anyone doing this kind of commute? I've just put an FMF Q4 on the bike, and would put a 15 tooth sprocket on the front to make it taller in the top end... Still too buzzy? Would my hands and *** fall asleep before the 1/2 way point?

For those who may know the area, the ride is from Fairfield to Mill Valley (80->37->101)

Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I live in SF bay area and my commute is only about 1/2 of yours. I wouldn't do it on the KLX unless that really was the only option.
No way I would be riding 110 miles a day, in a typical CA commute traffic.
You'd actually had to probably fill up the gas TWICE every day.... Once at each end point.

If you have the coin and like riding bikes, there are great deals out there for bikes that would be much more suitable for that kind of commute.

If you're trying to save money, just drive the car.

--
Mikko

Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I commute on a klr650. 300 mile range and 60 mpg. But I don't have any major highways. I wouldn't want to commute on a KLX.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
1st Gear Member

18 miles each way, no expressways A few red lights, but mostly back roads. Most of the time the speed limit is 55 mph depending on which way I go. I was making this commute every day on a BMW 1100. It is too big for short quick rides. Once I get to work I am always zooming off to the parts store or bank or coffee or lunch..

Much more fun on the KLX250 SF.

David

Old 03-01-2011, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

My commute was about the same as yours. I did it on the KLX a bunch of times in the first year, and maybe only a few times in the second. It's not a fun ride on that bike. It's not great on the highway. You'd be better off on a dedicated street bike.
I have a CBR 125, and it cruises on the highway much better than the KLX.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

If nothing else catches your attention, remember that your fuel range stinks on this bike. Daily fillups.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

My commute is about 104 miles round-trip, on two lane blacktop with 55 mph speed limit. When the weather is good (meaning not too cold...I'm in northern MN) I do my commute on my KLX as often as I can. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of miles on my bike are due to this commute. I'll almost always ride rather than drive if I can.

That said, if you can afford another bike better suited to the highway, do it. This is far from an ideal machine for that style of commute, but for me it's my only option.

I know everyone's backgrounds, tastes, and comfort thresholds are different. For me, for the purposes of my commute:
-Stock fuel capacity sucks ***. Filling up twice a day is necessary, and time consuming when you're already putting so much time into the commute. The commute will be slower on the KLX because of refueling time (unless you get a bigger tank).
-Vibration is a non-issue.
-The handling is adequate for highway duty, all the way to the bike's top speed.
-Braking power at speed can be marginal, like when a deer runs out in front of you, or tourist pulls out at the wrong time.
-The seat can be uncomfortable if you just sit on it for 50+ miles (but I stand a lot).
-For standing, stock ergonomics aren't very good (I'm 5'-10", 160 lbs). Seems like bars are too low and too far back, pegs too far forward.
-Power is really marginal at highway speed (55 mph plus). On a two lane highway with lots of slow tourists and very few, short passing opportunities, this can make things frustrating. On a steady moving freeway, I have less concern because there's more opportunity to move around. If I were on a urban freeway with frequent, rapid slowing/acceleration, I'd start to get nervous.
-I have the option of taking a number of long-ways-home on gravel roads or some trails. Unfortunately, this is often hampered by the god damn lack of fuel capacity. I can't say it enough, stock fuel capacity sucks ***

Like you, I'm likely going to try a 15 tooth front (mine is an '09, a 15 tooth front will put the final gearing in 6th about the same as the '06/'07 bikes with a stock gearing). I also have a 300 top end that I'm on the fence about installing to pick up some more power.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:51 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Love my KLX. Hate it on pavement.

I think if you've ever owned even a slightly higher displacement bike, you're gonna be sorely underwhelmed. The 250S is basically a dirt bike, and it lets you know it for long pavement stretches.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I am lucky my commute is just under two miles. I travel more after I get to work. I cant imagine doing the commute you described without upgradeing the seat and of course the tank in 6 months when IMS comes out with it for the 09.

Cheers Jim

Old 03-02-2011, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I could easily get my round trip in one tank, and it was 180 km. I often did the trip, then filled up on my way back in the second day, getting exactly 200 km to the tank. It's a lot better on gas on the hwy. than it is off road.

Quick Reply: Distance commuting?