Dirtwise Riding School, anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
I'm hoping the experience leads to less dirt napping. Had a few today, well 5-6 actually, but 4 were in the same spot. It was after lunch and a small hill just decided to kick my ***.
Looking for a lighter bike, the KLX gets heavy after picking it up four times in less than 3 minutes, the KTM 300 EXC looks good, especially used.
But first I've got to let Shane help me get better, then maybe I won't need a lighter bike, and it's cheaper than a bike.
I just saw the MA class in August, myself. I had hoped to attend one of his classes, but unfortunately, I don't think I can make that date work. I missed the one in April, too. Maybe next year.

Regarding the KTM 300, that bike is a beast. If you can find one, the KTM 200 EXC or XC/W (same bike) is an excellent "next step" from the KLX. I picked up a 2007 KTM 200XC/W earlier this year. It's unbelievable how much faster and easier to ride the KTM is. Not faster in that it has more power (although it does), but the suspension and lighter chassis just allow you to go faster over the same terrain. Switching between the bikes, I can tell that not having to fight the weight of the bike all the time has allowed me to become a better rider, and those skills transfer to the heavier KLX.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:05 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I'm gonna chime in and say that is the best $ to value ratio of any bike mod in terms of end game results. I haven't taken Shane's class, but I have heard good things. I have, however, taken Jason Raines' racing clinic and I have to say it is hands down the best bike related money I have ever spent. That guy is brilliant beyond comparison. During his class, things just clicked and I had about a dozen "aha" moments. He is a genius and I will highly recommend his class to anyone, but especially to those racing stuff like hare scrambles and enduros. Jason teaches you technique for handling just about any trail or race obstacle, the quickest way to get past it, and how to go fast, how to shave seconds off of sections, and emphasizing how every second counts and adds up to minutes during a race. Everything from braking drills, railing deep rutted turns, handling long straight ruts effectively, some MX stuff like table tops, doubles, and whoops, gnarly hill climbs, quickly getting through wash-outs and deep ditches, techniques for setting yourself up a turn in advance for the next turn, and so on. I learned more in that one weekend that all my riding put together.

I have heard good things about Wattsy's course, too. I think Jason's might be more racer oriented. Either one is great value for the money, IMO.