Did Someone Pull the Plug on the Clock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Default Did Someone Pull the Plug on the Clock?

Hey, I'm sitting here just waiting for the day to end.

This afternoon, I head home, park the V-Strom, jump into "Old Blue" and head north to Canton, North Carolina.

The KLX250 and the KLR650 are both sitting on the trailer just rarin' to go riding some of the best gravel roads in this part of the country.

A bunch of like-minded folks from all over the Southeast are also headed there for the weekend. We have had folks out scouting the roads, trails and putting together some great rides for the weekend.

Are we going to "The Dragon"? You betcha! We're gonna do that Friday afternoon - never ride "The Dragon" on a weekend - it's too dangerous. Last year I had a fool in a Miata coming at me sideways in a turn. Glad I had the KLR, as I just went onto the gravel shoulder to get away from him!

I'll take lots of pictures and post them when I get back.

Y'all have a great weekend!

Old 10-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Did Someone Pull the Plug on the Clock?

cool! sounds like fun... wish i had multiple bike disorder like you... cant wait to see the pics

Old 10-19-2006, 05:02 PM

Marty,

The last I heard you were driving the Vstrom up. Did I get my wires crossed or did you just end up with a case of the "can't decides" and changed your plans.

Either way it sounds like you are going to have a blast. I live in Winston-Salem, NC, so maybe I will try to join you guys next year. No chance of it working out this year. I am leaving for a kamikaze trip to and from Dallas, TX on Saturday morning to pick up a boat my brother bought on Ebay.

You guys be safe and have a blast.

Chris

Old 10-19-2006, 05:12 PM

Chris,

Nope you had it correct! But the weather looks like it's gonna turn bad on Sunday.

I have to be back for work on Monday, so the truck is the safe way of making the trip.

Would have preferred taking the 'Strom, but I get to do twice as much riding now.

The KLX is king of those hills! It goes and goes and the KLR guys hate it because it's so much quicker in the rough stuff. They pay me back when we hit the hard road though. The KLX will NOT keep up with a good running KLR. I've tuned most of the KLR650's last spring. I know how they run!

Old 10-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Have a great time, Marty. Things didn't work out for me this year, but I definitely want to be there and will be looking forward to the next one.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:08 PM

While it's not in North Carolina, I do think we're going to have another "Tour de Apalachicola" in January. It will be held just south of Tallahassee, Florida. It is usually over the Martin Luther King's Birthday weekend.

Last year we stayed at Camp Indian Springs. It cost us $8.00 a night for a bunk, hot showers, breakfast and dinner on two nights.

Rode all over the Apalachicola National Forest and had a ball!

Temps were in the mid 60's for the weekend.

Was a great time last year and I don't expect this year to be any different.

Might be a great place to break that 330 in!

Old 10-19-2006, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Stop it, Marty, you're making the rest of us jealous!!! [sm=joke.gif]

Sounds like its going to be a good time and lots of great riding. If you can't take any pictures, then send yourself a postcard, scan it when you get home, and post a picture of that (front & back, please).

Mike