Did I go with the wrong bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Did I go with the wrong bike?

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

LOL. so let me get this straight- you'd rather be on a bike weighing exactly the same in the mud, but having less than twice the amount of power of the other bike you could be on? yeah, that makes sense.
I would nto expect you to understand.

if you check mr KLX'er, my argument never said the S weighed the same as the KLX, I said the DRZE model
& if you check mr iowaguy, my argument never said you said the s weighed the same as the KLX, I said you said the DRZE model weighs as much as the KLX.

ps. you wouldn't even notice where each bike carries its weight. you're not Larry Roeseler I suspect.
I would, you would not becuase you ride spec sheets.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

You were singing off a different sheet of music when you did not own a DRZ:

Iowaguy Quotes

"senior member my ****. kid, do yourself a favor and go play around with your rc car or something. and the drz is a heavy dinosaur that's all out of whack. it's hard to consider it a dirt bike "

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_54780/tm.htm

" I rode my uncle's friends DRZ-400 last summer. I am an ex- mxer and rode this 400. I can't tell you how disappointed I was. The bike WOULDN'T EVEN WHEELIE! I weigh in at 155 lbs, 5'7" and I was clutching the crap out of it. I GUARANTEE that my KLX would stomp it in any race but a full on top end rush or drag race, but it may keep up with it with mods on top end as I had my KLX at 95 mph this weekend on the way home- I do not recommend it though. The 400 obviously has more torque but the thing is a boat anchor and it's susp. parts date back to the '80's. The 400 is not a better bike, let alone head and shoulders a better bike. the KLX is so far ahead of the 400 in styling, technology, and versatility it's not really worth mentioning the two together. The KLX is so agile while the 400 is a hog and can't get out of it's own way. I'll admit the KLX is a pooch in stock form, but with a pipe and the free mods along with a couple jets the thing flat out rocks."

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_548..._2/key_/tm.htm

"what i meant was with my modded KLX, it will keep up with a stock 400 i guarantee it. i've ridden both and my KLX rips right now. the article you mention, i didn't even read it cuz i could care, but if some dude says that the old hat DRZ 400 with conventional shocks and 300 lb weight is better than the new Huskys he's smoking crack. now that's laughable. take a look at the new husky dual purpose bikes, they are state of the art. had i done more shopping i may have one of them in my garage instead of the KLX. "

"the drz is a dinosaur that's overweight and lazy. i rode one two years ago and i could not get it to loft the front end. or you could wait for the forthcoming KLX 450, and get it licensed. then your friends won't be able to keep up with you. "

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_107692/tm.htm

I could go on.

Still having his baby?

Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sinkoman

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan]What??? Pathetic power output???? RU Insane???? In stock trim it's designed to get you to the trails and then do quite well on them. It does both as promised! It will do 70 comfortably on the freeway and is geared nice for riding trails. What a perfect combination! What a great piece of engineering. Did you even break it in yet? Get a damn YZ250 if you want an insane dirt bike. This is a dual sport! Get it through your head.
The power output would be just fine if this bike weighed as much as a TTR250, but it doesn't.

I've broken it in just fine, as I said, 500mi and counting. She's loosened up considerably since I first bought the bike, but no more power since then.

I don't want an insane dirtbike, I want a trail bike that will always have some power on tap for those moments when the front wheel NEEDS to come up. I get the feeling that you haven't pushed the bike enough just yet.

Pin the throttle up a near vertical and so muddy you can barely stand on it hillclimb, and tell me that the power is fine. I'm lugging the engine off of stoplights ffs!

Even my TTR would kick the front wheel up out of stoplights if I wasn't careful. No risk on the KLX.
Okay you win! You got the wrong bike dude, But no it ain't broke in with only 500 miles. You're still supposed to be under 6000 rpm's. And it ain't a tri-sport Either. Now you want it to be a hill climb machine. As for pulling up the wheel, I use the clutch. And it sure don't bog down off the line. A perfect launch brings the front wheel up and I have beaten a few Mustang GT's up to 50 Mph or so. If you do the Mods, You'll do a lot better for the riding you are trying to do but you'll be limited to 60-65 Mph on the highway. This bike isn't long enough for near vert climbing. Sounds like you need 3 bikes man!!!! The 13t will certainly be a great start but again you'll sacrifice top end which I am not willing to do.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 PM

mod the klx and you'll be happy

Old 08-30-2007, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I love my KLX for offroad and dual sport runs (formal and informal !). But when I know it's going to be all street, no dual sport compares to just about ANY street bike. For me it's a Buell TT for rainy days and an anodized V-Rod for sunny days ! Of course, you can go a MUCH CHEAPER route with any used sportbike or smaller cruiser. How's your insurance ? I know it's tough on the youngun's....I pay $400/year combined for full coverage on all my 3 bikes......

Old 08-31-2007, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan]Okay you win! You got the wrong bike dude, But no it ain't broke in with only 500 miles. You're still supposed to be under 6000 rpm's. And it ain't a tri-sport Either. Now you want it to be a hill climb machine. As for pulling up the wheel, I use the clutch. And it sure don't bog down off the line. A perfect launch brings the front wheel up and I have beaten a few Mustang GT's up to 50 Mph or so. If you do the Mods, You'll do a lot better for the riding you are trying to do but you'll be limited to 60-65 Mph on the highway. This bike isn't long enough for near vert climbing. Sounds like you need 3 bikes man!!!! The 13t will certainly be a great start but again you'll sacrifice top end which I am not willing to do.
You're absolutely 100% right, I AM on the wrong bike. If I could, I would be riding a TE250 or a 450 EXC, or hell, even a WR250. Those bikes would be perfect for my style of riding.

But i'm 15 years old, and nobody wants to drop $8,000 USD worth of bike on a 15 year old. Once i've got a stable job and can feed myself, then i'll be on that bike of my dreams, but until then, i'll just have to be happy on either my KLX or a DRZ. Not to mention, you'd have to be a god of some sort to find any of those bikes used around here.

So, with that in mind, i'm going to need to either make this KLX into a machine i'd be proud of riding, or get a DRZ. And I posted this same topic on the Thumpertalk.com DRZ boards, and the majority ruling was that I wouldn't be happy on their bike, so KLX it is.

I'm not going to comment on your Break In comment, as that's a whole nother topic altogether. What I will say though, is that no matter HOW you break the bike in, I doubt you're going to get some magnificent horsepower gain out of it. Sure, maybe half a ponie if you do it correctly, but i've yet to see any definitive answer as to what is the "correct" method.

Btw, are you kidding me? You've beaten a stang off of the line? What kind of line are you talking about? The one at the stop light ???

Ok, so maybe you can get your front tire off a few tiny seconds before the stang does, but that's only because it's far easier to accellerate a 260lb vehicle over a 3 tonne vehicle. I doub't you'd be able to keep a lead up till 50 mph though!

Btw, when I say hillclimb, I don't mean the monstrous desert hillclimbs that require a 20 foot long swingarm to stay stable on.

If only I could bring some of you folks into the trails with me

@ IOWAGUY: Ok, here's where i'm going to have to dissagree with you. Even though on paper, the DRZ-E is about the same weight as the KLX, it's a much taller bike. Because of that, the weight naturally sits higher up on the bike, meaning that when you tip the bike, the weight is farther from the fulcrum, which puts more stress on the person lifting the bike than if the bike were shorter.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not gonna tell a 15 year old to go out and drag race a car on the street but IT can do it. Maybe there's spomething wrong with your's

Old 08-31-2007, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

I'm not gonna tell a 15 year old to go out and drag race a car on the street but IT can do it. Maybe there's spomething wrong with your's
That's actually very noble of you to say. Most folks on the internet just really don't care about anybody else

I dunno, maybe I don't understand what you're saying. ANY motorcycle will be able to launch off the line a little quicker than most cars, but I don't think the KLX could keep that lead for very long.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Trust me i've done it 3 times and right about 50 the stang catches up. Not sure if they were all GT's but at least one was. Now the way I drive a stick shift car a Klx may never pull away but I never lift off the throttle. Trust me these KLX's are truely fast little sleepers. Remember, they redline at 10,500. You don't need more than 2nd gear to hit 50.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh give IG a break already.

Quick Reply: Did I go with the wrong bike?