Did I go with the wrong bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Did I go with the wrong bike?

ORIGINAL: HawaiiRider

I love the perimeter trail, you can find some many turn outs off that thing it'll keep you busy for days!

Try this link, you'll see our bike on it:
http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-46...-13-Teeth.html
Yeah, when they say "perimeter" trail, they aren't freaking kidding

I remember getting lost on it a few times when I was younger, and somehow ending up going the wrong way trying to find family members. Freaking scary to know that any minute, you might be turned into a dirt mound by some guy doing 40 on a KX!

Hehe, we're going riding this saturday. Can't wait to see how the little KLX handles the dust bowl!

Probably won't have rim locks by then, and i'll be running stock gearing for sure. I need new tires desperately too, these ones are so worn down from all the street riding i've been doing.

Thanks for the link btw

Old 08-30-2007, 09:29 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

you're incorrect sir- a stock DRZE makes around 38 horse at the rear wheel. the S and SM models have tamer cams and timing, and they make documented 35 at the rear wheel. but it's not as much the added horsepower as it is the huge jump in torque. twist the throttle on a DRZ and you will get your arms straightened. i don't know where you're getting your numbers, but the numbers you speak of are about where a big-bored, piped, pumper carbd, KLX is at, but it stops at the high 20's. do a search, no one has gotten over 28 horse on here. so basically here's how mods stack against the KLX:

pipe, jet kit, airbox and filter mods- this is talking a full BG or Muzzy exhaust system and not a slip-on: around 22-23 horse.

all of the above but add on a 331cc big bore kit, pumper carb, filter/airbox: around 26 horse.

all of the above but add on head porting work and hi-po cams: 28 horse. if i'm mistaken, let me know Brian.

here's where you're even more wrong: the E DRZ weighs in exactly as the KLX and offers more ground clearance. so to say that you'd rather be in the muddy wet trails on a KLX is absurd. it has 20 horsepower less than the DRZ and offersless clearance. I know what bike i'd rather be on. the DRZ most definitely is an *** hauler, you evidently haven't ridden one. maybe mine just runs good or something. but it will loft the front wheel at will. maybe me gearing it down to 15/44 has something to do with it. only mod DRZ's need are tires. everything else is free if you need to go there for altitude.
Srry, I wasn't positive on the numbers, just what I have been told by other riders. Times I've been on trail rides with DRZ's I have an easier time riding with the poor guys who haveto wrestle to get them through the trails, alwayse with knobbies on. They just seem big. I would find it hard to belive that if they were set beside a KLX on a scale, they would weigh in at the same. Maby a higher centre of gravity. My opinion, butt, extra ground clearance vs. flick ability, and size also would come into play. Where a bike only has the2 wheels to manouver around, MOST of the time, a lower bike can just manouver around the higher spots but lowerusually handles easier at slow speeds. If you're in deep enough water or mud that you hit your skid plate, chances are weather your bike is high or not, you're goin down anyway's if it's that large of an object and you could not see it.

I didn't say anything about KLX getting high #'s, just that mods help?? I knew the HP capable of it.
I appologize for being 5HPwrong, or other inaccuracies.
ORIGINAL: green242

Q: Would I be better off with a DRZ 400sin tight, slippery, wet, muddy trails than a KLX 250s?
A: NO!

With the added weight and size of the DRZ, they are only in the high 20's low 30's in HP anyway. They arn't a haulin A$$ machine either, you'd be doing mods to it as well to get it the way you want it.
I'm 21, I ain't an old guy. I've been thinkin of upgrading to a new bike too. But I think I have decided on spending my money instead on a future 330cc big bore, exhaust, and rejets.

Stick with the KLX, it'sthe best all-round bike you can get if you ask me
Funny, I don't see any #'s about the KLX. Maby i missed something
I don't mean to **** anyone off, but I don't like being accused of being wrong about something, when that something, is what I didn't even say??

Wait... K, after doing a little more research, I have found the DRZ S (which we are talking about) is 1/5" higher than the KLX (barelyeven niticable), and actually has 30 pounds on the KLX according to the specs on their sites. I know they can sometime be incorrect on weight and such... But sounds like thefacts you speak of aremore incorrect than mine.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:55 AM

I actually did Mililani 100% stock. Almost killed me. If I had rim locks I would've made it a little more intact, didn't even have brush gaurds yet. I've already taken the KLX up to Kahuku a bunch. Been about 90% dry up there so the stock tires at full psi isn't to bad. Should be a good day up there tomorrow, raining a little here tonight at Sunset, might keep the dust down a hair.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HawaiiRider

I actually did Mililani 100% stock. Almost killed me. If I had rim locks I would've made it a little more intact, didn't even have brush gaurds yet. I've already taken the KLX up to Kahuku a bunch. Been about 90% dry up there so the stock tires at full psi isn't to bad. Should be a good day up there tomorrow, raining a little here tonight at Sunset, might keep the dust down a hair.
Haha, I believe we both did it, 100% stock, right around the same time. I recall crossing paths in a thread i'd started a while back.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Everyone knows manufacturer's dry weights are accurate

Comparing a full DOT street legal to dirt-only bike is fair too

Old 08-30-2007, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

& I also forgot to add. Even if it weighs the same, doesn't mean its carried the same.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Iowafag, if you want to compare non-street legal bikes you might as well be comparing the DRZ400E to the KLX450R where the DRZ will get smoked in power and in weight. The fair comparison would be the DRZ400S to the KLX250S since they are both dual sports. That DRZ400S has emissions crap and is tuned down (less compression) like the KLX250S. The DRZ400S also weighs 29 more pounds, has only 5 gears, and has an inferior suspension than the KLX250S while costing $800 more. I went with the KLX and will spend the extra $800 on mods thank you....

Old 08-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wait a minute....Iowa, did you read what you just wrote? I'll quote you. " a bike weighing the exact same weight but making over twice the horsepower is going to be the bike I'm on" AND YET YOU ARE SELLING IT AND LOOKING AT ANOTHER KLX!!! What the freak? You change you mind more than any woman I have ever known. Not a put down to women. But come on man. Pick something and stick with it. Now don't flame me or I'll have to ban you....just kidding

Quick Reply: Did I go with the wrong bike?