Did I go with the wrong bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 04:18 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Did I go with the wrong bike?

Regarding the 250 cylinder to 331, you can do it but it needs to be sleeved. Look up Bill Blue on this forum and you'll find his e-mail. He'll hook you up. This is actually cheaper than sourcing a 300 cylinder and overboring that. Kustom Kraft indicated that the overbore to 331 without sleeving requires the 300 cylinder, that you couldn't bore the 250 that big without sleeving - something about the water jacket and cylinder wall thickness being different between the two parts. Someone with both could put some calipers on them and tell for sure.

Thumper Racing offers a sleeving option that goes to 340cc. I think that's like 1 more millimeter in piston diameter than the 331.

To go higher than that, you have to go to a stroker, i.e., modify the crank to increase the stroke length. At this point, the price goes up a lot - crank mod and splitting the cases and all that it's a pretty major job.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:24 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

pipe, jet kit, airbox and filter mods- this is talking a full BG or Muzzy exhaust system and not a slip-on: around 22-23 horse.

all of the above but add on a 331cc big bore kit, pumper carb, filter/airbox: around 26 horse.

all of the above but add on head porting work and hi-po cams: 28 horse. if i'm mistaken, let me know Brian.
That's about right, ball-park.

Mine was actually just a hair under 27 at 26.8, so if you are rounding you should say 27. And while I think Bill's dyno'd in the 28's, I'm pretty sure he dyno'd his with knobbies which pessimizes the dyno and in my experience that is about 12%'ish, so I'd actually put Bill's more at around 31'ish. But that's just me.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:37 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

pipe, jet kit, airbox and filter mods- this is talking a full BG or Muzzy exhaust system and not a slip-on: around 22-23 horse.

all of the above but add on a 331cc big bore kit, pumper carb, filter/airbox: around 26 horse.

all of the above but add on head porting work and hi-po cams: 28 horse. if i'm mistaken, let me know Brian.
That's about right, ball-park.

Mine was actually just a hair under 27 at 26.8, so if you are rounding you should say 27. And while I think Bill's dyno'd in the 28's, I'm pretty sure he dyno'd his with knobbies which pessimizes the dyno and in my experience that is about 12%'ish, so I'd actually put Bill's more at around 31'ish. But that's just me.
OMG

Iowaguy, if it was medically feasible for me to bear your children, I would willingly oblige.

That is some VERY freaking useful info. I was expecting a 1 or 2 hp increase from an exhaust kit and a rejet. Didn't realize exactly how choked up this bike was.

How will the stock CV carb hold up to a 331 kit? I know it does wonders for a 300 kit, but no clue about the 331.

Would a 331 create a boatload of extra heat? Last time we went into the forrests, my cooling fan was kicking on left and right, because it was so hot.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:13 AM

Sinkoman,
I haven't rejetted yet and I can already feel extra power with just the slip-on Two Brothers Racing pipe (FYI: It's pretty much as loud as a YZ250 two-stroke). Today I had the front end come up on me at a stop light when I hit to much gas/not enough clutch release. Not saying it's crazy powerful but with a full system it might be even more so. My freind has the exact same bike and drilled out the stock exhaust and I think he did some carb work and he says his has some more low end than mine?!
I've been told if you remove the smog equipment the bike runs cooler. If you trace the black hose off the front of the cylinder (left side) it runs into a three-way splitter, if you follow these hoses you notice that one goes into the carb and one into the airbox. They are trying to "super heat"(?) these gases so when they pass through the stock pipes catalytic converter the gases pass EPA regulations. So once you bail the stock pipe you can bail the smog stuff, should run cooler (That's what I've been informed of on here, not sure what would happen if you took off the smog with the stock pipe?)
Also if anyone knows any sizes of the smog caps (3) that would be unreal!!!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, I was running without the airbox lid for a bit, but the jetting just went to hell and my bike was running way too hot, and started flatspotting like a mother. That's going to have to wait till a rejet, and that's not happening till I get an exhaust kit.

Haven't done the 13 tooth sprocket because I don't want to have to buy a whole new chain just so that I don't **** up the wear patterns.

Won't be doing the crankcase vent enlargement, because my bike will be tipped, ALLOT, so opening up the crankcase vent that much will definetly result in massive ammounts of oil lossage. The only reason I haven't ditched the OEM line and gone with an uncorked bit of hosing + filter, is because i've been too lazy...

Btw, no off season at all. I actually can't wait for winter, so that it won't be so damned hot on the trails

Old 08-30-2007, 08:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Well then, i'll do it, as soon as I figure out what to buy and where to get it.

So far, i've not managed to find any of the listed partnumbers in the sticky thread on this board, ANYWHERE.

EDIT: hehe, I found a video of one of the tamer trails we ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Oc0F4UAYo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQALi...ed&search=

This trail's actually kind of boring, it's the one we take the kiddies on when the whole family goes down to the moto park.

This one'll give you a better idea of the tighter stuff we ride, but it's still rather tame compared to mililani :\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTlR0eXFj7g

Old 08-30-2007, 08:59 AM

I love the perimeter trail, you can find some many turn outs off that thing it'll keep you busy for days!

Try this link, you'll see our bike on it:
http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-46...-13-Teeth.html

Quick Reply: Did I go with the wrong bike?