Did I go with the wrong bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Did I go with the wrong bike?

You can ride on the streets at age 15 in HI?

Old 08-29-2007, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I just put a 2 bro's pipe on mine, along with a 125 jet/adjustable needle,Kouba adjustable fuel screw, opened up airbox, removed smog and a 13 tooth. Bike is great. Just rode about 170 miles or so last weekend in Utah high mountain desert terrain, primarily offroad, with about 25 miles on 60mph+ highways. Bike was perfect. Great power for the offroad, and happy running at 60 on the highway. Pulls decently, in 6th gear, going uphill. This was atelevationbetween 7500-10500 feet. I'd consider gearing it down a little more, but I liked hitting roughly 60mph at 7k rpm. I probably have about $500 in mods, and the bike is night and day from stock.

Anyway, your decision sounds based mostly on where you will be riding, not which bike is better for off road. If you will be on road 90+ percent of the time, I'd get more of a road bike. And an old beater for off roading. Although, some roadfriendlier tires, and the low cost mods (<$500)would likely make the KLX just as much fun/capable on road as anything similar.

Remember, no bike does it all well. Put your money in to something that will suit what you do mostly, and realize that it won't be able to so do some things as well, or maybe at all.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

"It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got."

- Sheryl Crow, Soak Up The Sun

Old 08-29-2007, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kawikathy

"It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got."

- Sheryl Crow, Soak Up The Sun
Oh, trust me, i've been through the whole "lucky to have a bike as it stands" phase, and the argument just doesn't hold up, considering I had equal opportunity to purchase either.

ORIGINAL: UTRoss

I just put a 2 bro's pipe on mine, along with a 125 jet/adjustable needle, Kouba adjustable fuel screw, opened up airbox, removed smog and a 13 tooth. Bike is great. Just rode about 170 miles or so last weekend in Utah high mountain desert terrain, primarily offroad, with about 25 miles on 60mph+ highways. Bike was perfect. Great power for the offroad, and happy running at 60 on the highway. Pulls decently, in 6th gear, going uphill. This was at elevation between 7500-10500 feet. I'd consider gearing it down a little more, but I liked hitting roughly 60mph at 7k rpm. I probably have about $500 in mods, and the bike is night and day from stock.

Anyway, your decision sounds based mostly on where you will be riding, not which bike is better for off road. If you will be on road 90+ percent of the time, I'd get more of a road bike. And an old beater for off roading. Although, some road friendlier tires, and the low cost mods (<$500) would likely make the KLX just as much fun/capable on road as anything similar.

Remember, no bike does it all well. Put your money in to something that will suit what you do mostly, and realize that it won't be able to so do some things as well, or maybe at all.
Just wasn't feasible in terms of costs, so I had to pick the bike that'd suit my kind of offroading best, with road riding being an afterthought.

Starting to reconsider whether or not the DRZ would have been better in my sort of offroad situation, that's all

Old 08-29-2007, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry, I do understand your frustration.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Only the shadow knows. Dont even ask about that comment. It'san "old-guy" thing.
I test rode a DRZ400S after testing the KLX. For me there was not much to think about. Theklx was more fun, easier to ride on and off road, less weight, less money, and better looking.Me thinks you should keep and mod this bike as finances allow. As your needs change and your wallet grows buy another. I do understand the looking and wanting thing though. Just the other day i saw this really hot woman in the frozen food aisle and i was thinking....... never mind.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

IG, well said!

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

Old 08-29-2007, 11:35 PM

If you had gotten the DRZ first you would be asking the same question but in reverse. Sure the DRZ has much more power but that doesn't do it for everyone. The DRZ is taller, heaver, anda little more of a hand full off road. If you do the right mods as stated by IG you will be much happier!

Old 08-30-2007, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member

You guys always talk about how dumb and biased Iowaguy is, and I believed you guys for a good bit of time. Especially on the "rider skill means nothing in motocross" remark.

But the more and more I read of his posts, the more and more I realize that he's quite right in most regards. I watched a motocross event on tv the other day (only time i've done so, I never really had much interest in motocross), and finally realized that he was right. It had absolutely nothing to do with skill, and everything to do with cranking the throttle and just holding on. Nothing like woods riding.

And the more and more I read of his oppinion on the KLX, the more and more I see that, while his oppinion is rather abrasive, it's true. The KLX is a bit of a pitiful bike in stock trim. Sure, it handles pretty damn well for a dual sport and will give you a good bit of fun, but the power output is freaking PATHETIC.

I say give him a break. Sure, he's not always the nicest of folks, and some of the things he says can be overly abrasive and at times, down right rude, but at the heart of it all, he's right!

I dunno guys, the Big Guns are starting to look mighty tasty over the Muzzys

K, time for a question. IG, how "throwable" would you say the DRZ was over the KLX?

And is it possible to get a 250 cylinder bored to 331? That seems to be a lot more "bang for your buck" than a pipe and a rejet.

Does anybody have any numbers on their Muzzy vs stock exhaust?

Quick Reply: Did I go with the wrong bike?