Diaphram in hot water??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I just don't understand why so many people have problems with the diaphragms. I've had countless carbs apart over the years and have never had an issue with the diaphragms. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

BTW, lj-rubi - heres my TJ:

Ron

Old 07-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
When the shop did my jetting then had something from the carb in a freezer for a while so it would not swell up.
Im going to take away your man card.... get your hands dirty and get in there yourself!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranger Ron
I just don't understand why so many people have problems with the diaphragms. I've had countless carbs apart over the years and have never had an issue with the diaphragms. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Ron
Wow that is so awesome! Who gets it when you kick the bucket? I mean wait what? LOL

Old 07-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Im going to take away your man card.... get your hands dirty and get in there yourself!
Uhhhhhhhh.........ok I got nothing LOL

Old 07-31-2012, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't put my in water when I rejetted. It was only out for about 10-15 minutes before ready to get put back together. I had no problems sealing it back up.

I broke my bike down after work one evening. Being my first time I didn't want to rush through it. After I got the carb out I called it a night, it took maybe 3 hours. I then rejetted and put everything back together the next morning in a hour or two. It went much fast putting it back together. Then it was just a matter of playing with the mixture screw to get it dialed in.

Last edited by Brieninsac; 07-31-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

When I did my re-jet, I had everything all lined up so I could do it quickly. My diaphragm was out for only a few minutes, and I did the soak trick. I was *barely* able to get it to fit back in the channel... I was hoping it didn't get pinched in there, but it seems it went together fine, as I haven't had any issues with it.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default y

Originally Posted by linkin5
The soak is to keep it from swelling but I've found if you set it in the sun and let it dry it will usually go back in without a soak.
^+1 I jetted mine and it was about 400 degrees out....sun worked just fine...

Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

My carb has only been apart during the winter when it was chilly in the shop. The diaphragm wouldn't go it for the life of me. Soaked for a few minutes in HOT water, shook and wiped off the water, and it went right in. I did not leave it soaking the whole time, only right before reinstall. You should be able to tell quickly if it's going to fit, or if it seems too large to fit in the proper grooves. The hot water soak shrinks and stiffens it a bit, which seems counter-intuitive but it works.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranger Ron

Ron
Nice Jeep. Here's the LJ Rubi:

Name:  DSCN0185.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  51.8 KB

Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

i guess i just don't let stuff sit like that and i treat all my fuel, but i could see it if it really needed it but since i got my big ultrasonic cleaner soaking for me is a thing of the past

Quick Reply: Diaphram in hot water??