Diaphram in hot water??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Diaphram in hot water??

OK, about to pull my carb to rejet. I would like to tear it down and soak it in carb cleaning for a few hours, manpybe overnight, but I've read in several other threads that the diaphram needs to soak in hot water while it is put of the carb. Is it going to swell up while I'm soaking the carb and not go back in?

Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

The soak is to keep it from swelling but I've found if you set it in the sun and let it dry it will usually go back in without a soak.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

never had trouble with it, just don't lay it down so it;s creased or anything.

Also I would discourage you from bathing the carb in carb cleaner, it's not the old holly and carter afb car stuff of days past. Best to give it a shower with spray carb cleaner, removing the jets and spraying through the passages.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 AM
1st Gear Member

lettin a carb sit apart and soak isn't needed pull it apart clean, jet and get back in the bike i don't soak anything in or on a motor overnight or long periods of tome other than clucth plates

Old 07-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toyotabuilder
lettin a carb sit apart and soak isn't needed pull it apart clean, jet and get back in the bike i don't soak anything in or on a motor overnight or long periods of tome other than clucth plates
The only time i would soak a carb is to get all the very old gas out. Its the only way to completely clean all the places you cant see.

I soaked the carbs on my night hawk.

Best way to clean the carbs with no effort and no mess and no nasty chemicals. Pine Sol. 3 days in 1:1 mix of pine sol and water

comes out looking brandy new.

To answer original question. I have not had any trouble with the diaphram, i never needed to soak mine. i have had it out many times. on my KLX, my buddies, and my KLR.

Last edited by EMS_0525; 07-31-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 AM
1st Gear Member

No problems here............had mine out overnight while soaking the jets and no issues with reassembly.

btw - the Pine-Sol idea is awesome...........thanks.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buerkletucson
btw - the Pine-Sol idea is awesome...........thanks.
It will dissolve anything, old gas/grease, thats on the carbs, and its biodegradeable. hell of alot easier than trying to scrub and spray carb cleaner in all the holes...

Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I'm gonna dunk it in my gallon bucket of carb cleaner at least for an hour or so. I just thought I might tear the bike apart one night and get it soaking then reassiemble the next night. BTW, in one of the write-up's on here someone estimates 6 hours to rejet and install foam filter, snorkel and slip-on?? The pipe took me five minutes so 5+ hours to pull the tank, carb, clean, rejet, etc. seems excessive. Just want to know what I'm getting in to so I have enough time to complete. Estimate for first time rejet?

Old 07-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

First time to rejet... way under 2 hours..... taking time. I could do it in 30 mins now probably.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

When the shop did my jetting then had something from the carb in a freezer for a while so it would not swell up.

Quick Reply: Diaphram in hot water??