Dial A Jet - Any experience with these?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

MMm reading reports on their web-page I noticed that DialAjet gives good performance to high end but takes a littlebit from the low end. Any thoughts about it? I just got new pipe and will rejet the bike. However 300cc is in my plans. Would be nice to use DiaAjet in this case. No multiple rejettings...

Old 01-06-2011, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
You've got to buy the "snorkel" attachment also for our off-road machines which adds cost. Plus shipping.
No you don't need the snorkle. I haven't had one on mine in the entire time I've used it. The original designer and seller didn't do the snorkle kit. The new one did. I've never had any problem either... 45,000 miles about 50% on back dirt/gravel roads, lots of dust.

As for the bottom end, I installed the Dial-A-Jet specifically to help with the lean range from about 3000 rpm and up. It worked.

The high dollar set up is the double unit used on big V-twins and for the Intellejet, a different unit. The basic Dial-A-Jet is about 85 bucks including shipping within the U.S.

Last edited by klx678; 01-06-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Dial a jet told me to get my jetting correct first with my new 351, stock exhaust, dyno jet, and get some baseline readings such as fuel mileage and then they might give me one to evaluate. It sounded like were positive I see good changes. I'll let you all know.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kyrral
Dial a jet told me to get my jetting correct first.
If the jetting is set correct first, adding a dial-a-jet or any other whizbang method to add more fuel will invariably make the engine run worse and give less power.

But I guess they are simply relying on the human psyche.
When people spend good money to buy a farkel that's supposed to give more power, 99% of folks will "feel an improvement" in the absence of data to the contrary.

--
Mikko

Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
If the jetting is set correct first, adding a dial-a-jet or any other whizbang method to add more fuel will invariably make the engine run worse and give less power.

But I guess they are simply relying on the human psyche.
When people spend good money to buy a farkel that's supposed to give more power, 99% of folks will "feel an improvement" in the absence of data to the contrary.

--
Mikko

They tell you to get the jetting close, then lean it out a few jet sizes. That allows the draw of fuel from the nozzle when the engine is in lean condition. It allows for the changes in altitude for which hard jetting will not compensate. That is the whole reason, to get the hard jetting lean to allow the fuel adder to work.

Of course since you've never used one you don't have a clue. Seems the media HAS shown REAL dyno numbers supporting the claims, Motorcyclist did testing on a dyno setting a baseline and showing significant improvement, better than some header (my comment there). I will also say they sure didn't for advertising dollars. How often have you ever seen a Dial-A-Jet ad in any motorcycle magazine? Thunder Products did so little advertising I'd bet they couldn't have put any noticable dent in Motorcyclist or DirtBike! advertising income.

Then there are the results on the modified carburetors put out by Dick's Racing and the various MX publications that say the DAJ works. First, the development people at Dick's Racing would have had to found some gains otherwise they wouldn't have used it, then the actual media, like MX Action - notoriously hard on stuff that doesn't work, as was DirtBike! - who found the parts did the job...

But what do they know compared to those who've never used the part.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

If the jetting is too lean (as it is on practically all new bikes) then yes, adding more fuel helps. That will be shown on any and all dyno charts with DAJ added to to bike THAT INITIALLY WAS RUNNING LEAN.

If jetting is already good (as in after set by a someone who knows what they're doing) then adding more fuel makes it worse.

Lean running engine does NOT pull more vacuum than rich or correctly jetted engine. Simple as that.

You don't see the humor in instructions from supplier of DAJ being basically as follows?:

1. Find the best jetting for your bike
2. Change the MJ to two sizes smaller
3. Install DAJ to bring the jetting back to optimal

--
Mikko

Old 01-07-2011, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I miss IOWA GUY!!!!!

Old 01-08-2011, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

If the jetting is too lean (as it is on practically all new bikes) then yes, adding more fuel helps. That will be shown on any and all dyno charts with DAJ added to to bike THAT INITIALLY WAS RUNNING LEAN.

If jetting is already good (as in after set by a someone who knows what they're doing) then adding more fuel makes it worse.

Lean running engine does NOT pull more vacuum than rich or correctly jetted engine. Simple as that.

You don't see the humor in instructions from supplier of DAJ being basically as follows?:

--
Mikko
Yeah, go change the pilot screw setting or open/close the butterfly a bit (the actual method of balancing) to alter the fuel/air supply at a set rpm on one cylinder of a four cylinder while balancing the carbs and see what kind of change it makes in the vacuum on the gages. That would pretty much shoot your comment in the butt fairly well.

Apparently you don't get the concept and function and will not attempt to do so.

Again, I guess the best person to ask, based on your point of view, is someone who has no experience. I guess I'll go ask the sport riders what kind of dual sport tires to buy for my bike, then go to the cruisers forum to see what kind of off road pegs to buy, then go to the new rider forum and ask how to adjust valves...

Old 01-08-2011, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

--
Mikko
Amen !

Quick Reply: Dial A Jet - Any experience with these?