Deej's hard starting solution

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Deej's hard starting solution

My bike is one of the hard starting SOB's that I hear a lot complaining about. I would like to try Deej's method of draining the float bowl. One of my upgrades is the Muzzy exhaust system. It is right in front of the drain screw. Has everyone but me figured out how to relocate the exhaust? Maybe a special tool I know nothing about to reach the drain screw? (And yes I do know what a Allen wrench looks like) I'm ready to reinstall the stock pipe.
06 KLX250S

Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Jerry have you tried some of the simpler methods on here? There a quite a few ways people have gotten their hard starters going. Mine starts every time by slowly pulling out the choke after it has turned over a couple times. Some cover the exhaust with their hand while cranking. Draining the bowl every time is going to be a pain. Even shutting off the gas and running it dry is monkey business. Did you re-jet your carb after the Muzzy install?
Jetting may be part of your problem.
Best of luck
Dan

Old 08-30-2010, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Thanks Dan

I will try some of your suggestions. I ended up loosening the clamp fore and aft on the carb. Gave it as much of a twist as I could and with a little help from a pry bar, was able to access the drain screw. The machine started right up. All that was too much hassel to deal with on a regular basis. I did run the carb dry before I put it up.

My mods include the N1TC needle on the 3rd slot. Main jet was changed to 128 and I found that to be too rich, now is 125 and the plug looks good. 40 pilot jet. Idle jet Kobula out 2 1/2 turns. Slide drilled. High Flo Snorkel.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

My bike was a little hard to start until I installed an iridium spark plug, 38 pilot jet, and 125 main jet (with FMF). Now it starts easy every time, hot or cold, high elevation or low. I'm not sure if it was the iridium plug, jetting, or both, but I've read that the iridium plug helps with starting. You might give it a try. It's a pretty cheap thing to do, and you can keep your stock plug for a spare.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Jckid

Do you have the number for the Iridium Plug. Thanks

Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

An easier method that I have used when its stubborn to start in the cold weather. Step 1.) Choke the carb. 2.) Lean the bike over to one side and then upright it (be sure that you strong enough to lift the bike back up). 3.) Attempt to start the engine. For me, it usually works on the first try.

A more permenet solution would be to drill out the starter jet. Seems some of the members here have had good luck with this. Thou it does require removing the carb and making a perment mod to the carb.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

FCR- never have a problem starting again. Thats worth part of the cost right there.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Jerry have you tried some of the simpler methods on here? There a quite a few ways people have gotten their hard starters going. Mine starts every time by slowly pulling out the choke after it has turned over a couple times. Some cover the exhaust with their hand while cranking. Draining the bowl every time is going to be a pain. Even shutting off the gas and running it dry is monkey business. Did you re-jet your carb after the Muzzy install?
Jetting may be part of your problem.
Best of luck
Dan

Dan is completely right! I have used that one and while it still takes some cranking on my bike to finally get it to start popping, eventually it will start. However, you should never really need to drain the bowl if you plan accordingly. If you know you are not going to ride for a week or more, simply turn off the fuel and run out the gas a couple of blocks before you pull into the driveway. Then the next time you go ride, just turn on the fuel and BAM! It should start right up.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
An easier method that I have used when its stubborn to start in the cold weather. Step 1.) Choke the carb. 2.) Lean the bike over to one side and then upright it (be sure that you strong enough to lift the bike back up). 3.) Attempt to start the engine. For me, it usually works on the first try.

A more permenet solution would be to drill out the starter jet. Seems some of the members here have had good luck with this. Thou it does require removing the carb and making a perment mod to the carb.

If you leaned the bike over far enough and fuel spills out then you are essentially doing the same thing as draining the bowl.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Just for the record, after sitting for one...two...three days, the bike will still start easy without any draining or running the gas out. And since I ride nearly everyday, I haven't use the run out method in quite a while. However since we get 140 inches of rain a year here, I'm sure the bike will be sitting soon.

Quick Reply: Deej's hard starting solution