Decision Time KLX or DRZ

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Default Decision Time KLX or DRZ

Can anyone with experience on these two machines give me some pros and cons of each bike?

Old 01-14-2006, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Decision Time KLX or DRZ

ORIGINAL: srock

Can anyone with experience on these two machines give me some pros and cons of each bike?
Most of the guys I run with use the DRZ. Except for the size, the bikes seem to be equals. I'm the smallest one in the group, I have the KLX, the rest of the guys are 6'+. I believe the power to weight ratio, and suspension for both bikes are similar. The KLX has a tach, I prefer that.[sm=shades.gif]

Old 01-14-2006, 07:01 AM

hey guys steve o here i have been debating for months on the drz 400s or the klx 250s. i love the looks, suspension, everything about the klx more. the only thing is i hear it is way under powered. so tell me would u have gone with the drz if u were in my shoes?the klx only has 26 horsepower the drz has 40 and is only 30 lbs. heavier.please give me some honest advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:04 AM

I would say its really depending on what kind of riding your going to be doing. If your going to be doing a good amount of off roading, you have to go with the klx. Its a sweet dual purpose bike, great off road and great on the road. But if your going to be on the road all the time and looking for that extra power, then go with the drz 400. If your talking about the drz 200 don't evan go there, its garbage. My friend has one, the suspension sucks and its really not meant for takin a beatin. But the drz 400 is great for on the road, but for in the trails, its a little too big, to whip around and get around comfortablly. I don't have the klx, yet but I've went to the dealership, checked it out and have been doing alot of research myself and im goin with the klx. It's a great bike from what I can tell from my experience, so just go for it

Old 01-14-2006, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Fuel is another plus for the DRZ, you can put a huge tank on it. My buds say 70mph is about the top comfortable speed, but it will top out at 80-90. My KLX will run 80(with mods) pretty consistently.

Old 01-14-2006, 05:16 PM

hey guys steve o here. i am buying the bike for off road purpose mostly.i like the ability to go riding anytime anywhere i want without help loading and unloading my bike. i used to have a 1989 suzuki rm 250 with mods so i am used to a very powerful bike. my friend is going to be buying an older kx 250. that is who i will be riding with when i am not riding by myself. does the klx 250s get up and go when u r in the dirt? i will be going to ocala national forest as often as i can to ride. i live in orlando so its not too far to ride. i think i will do a lot of weekend camping trips. thanks for any info u can share.

Old 01-14-2006, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: steve o

hey guys steve o here. i am buying the bike for off road purpose mostly.i like the ability to go riding anytime anywhere i want without help loading and unloading my bike. i used to have a 1989 suzuki rm 250 with mods so i am used to a very powerful bike. my friend is going to be buying an older kx 250. that is who i will be riding with when i am not riding by myself. does the klx 250s get up and go when u r in the dirt? i will be going to ocala national forest as often as i can to ride. i live in orlando so its not too far to ride. i think i will do a lot of weekend camping trips. thanks for any info u can share.
This bike is fantastic for the single track, woods, mud, hills and woop de doos. You won't do wheelies on comnand, but you can jump off about everthing. I miss the power of my KLR650 on the dirt, but well worth the trade off of being light and comfortable the ride. I rarely see over 40 mph on the trails, so there is plenty of power after gearing the machine down. Keep in mind the stock gearing is very disappointing. A stock dealer test ride will not show all the potential. I think after the first year there will be many aftermarket improvements.

Old 01-14-2006, 05:49 PM

yeah i talked to the dealer here a few times. i told them how can someone buy a bike that they cant even test ride. that doesnt even make since to me. my brother bought a yamaha xt 350 dual sport new in 95. he had the same problem. he got off the lot and turned the throttle and said where is the power. although i have done some research to find that bike weighed 330 lbs. and only had 17 hp.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I too was contuplating the drz until i layed eyes on the klx. What drew me in on the klx was the 30 plus pounds difference in wieght the 2inches less wheel base (makes a difference on the tight trails)and the 1000 plus dollars on the price tag. So far all i have done is the 13 tooth front sproket and i am very happy with the performance the klx has giving me both on and off road. I made a big change in bikes going from a Honda xr 600r to the KLX but I am very pleased that i did.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: steve o

hey guys steve o here i have been debating for months on the drz 400s or the klx 250s. i love the looks, suspension, everything about the klx more. the only thing is i hear it is way under powered. so tell me would u have gone with the drz if u were in my shoes?the klx only has 26 horsepower the drz has 40 and is only 30 lbs. heavier.please give me some honest advice it would be greatly appreciated.
I have never ridden a KLX250, so I can't comment there, but I did own a DRZ400s. First of all, the s model is not 40 HP. More like 32 stock, and 35 when you do some simple mods. It will top out at an indicated 100 mph. It is a sweet bike for single track trail riding. A all in all good dual sport bike. But that damned motocross, skinny azz seat will have your butt burning in no time. Though, now Corbin offers a seat for it. But I can tell you this though. I had the opportunity to ride a Super Sherpa for a while, and actually enjoyed ridng the trails on it, more so that on the DRZ, because of the light weight. Now the bike was a little too small for me, so I wouldn't get one, but I imagine the KLX250s might be just right so far as weight/suspension/power. That is why I am thinking of getting one.

Quick Reply: Decision Time KLX or DRZ