Dealer setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 05:57 AM
Default Dealer setup

Hello everyone: Just picked up a green 2018 KLX250 $5300 out the door.
If your dealer charges a setup or destination charge, find another dealer.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice,,, Got any pics?

Old 01-15-2018, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

You apparently don't realize they simply figured their costs into your price, right? (Rhetorical question.)

In my 22 years in sales we always showed the cost of set up and freight costs. We want people to know it ain't free, even if we are the lowest priced on the product it is still a cost. We couldn't find any freight companies or mechanics that would do the job for free. You know any? I still know a few dealers that would love to not have to pay it.

Just saying you paid it, you just think you didn't because they may not have shown it on your invoice and you got a good price. If you saw the office paper work you would see what they paid for set up and freight. Your dealer absorbed the set up, freight, document fee, tax, title fees, and maybe a temp tag if you got one for $5300. Nothing was "free".

Some states require dealers to maintain sales document records (the deal file) for several years. Because of that, many have specific maximums a dealer may charge. When I was in it last, in Ohio it was $250, but we only had a $90 cost. We did the same with freight and prep - a fair general cost. Of course we knew few really care, it is about the bottom line - and should be. But we wanted customers to see the full picture if they actually wanted to understand.

Not bursting your bubble, I'm thinking you got a good buy since it is a new model and fifty under MSRP is probably a good deal on the new EFI model. I don't know for sure how sales are on them at this point. But I'm betting someone's gonna chime in with a lower OTD price. It always happens. I think you did alright though and are going to really enjoy the bike.

Hit the dealership up for a deal on accessories, when possible, give them a chance to sell you accessories at prices competitive with on-line prices. They can usually be competitive and returns or errors are easier to deal with. Show them you appreciate the deal and they will show you they appreciate your buying from them. We had a lot of friends who started out as customers. I will say my closest friend was a customer of the shop. I never sold him a bike, but did help with accessories and other stuff. When I was seriously injured he stopped in the hospital a couple of times and was a great influence. Since that time we've been great friends, riding a lot over the years.

Last edited by klx678; 01-15-2018 at 02:30 PM.