DEAD BATTERY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: DEAD BATTERY!!!

ORIGINAL: Scott V

I don't like the fact that your crankcase could fill up with gas, that is if the needle and seat is a little off.
I always turn it off when I stop and turn it on when I start.
That is if the bowl vents are plugged, that is if the engine has vacuum left over and slide is partially up, that is if the intake valve is open, that is if gas can run down past the rings .......... Odds are actually better to be hit by lightning!

Old 11-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Ys Guy's reasoning sounds the best so far - to get your thumb trained to pressing it so that when your throttle cable sticks and you go flying off at high speed in some random direction you don't have to think about what to do - you just push it on reflex. I always used the main switch before, but that is good enough reasoning for me and I think I will start using the kill switch myself.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 11-02-2006, 08:38 PM

They taught us 2 bad habits in the MSF class I took. 1 was to put the bike in neutral before turning the engine off, and 2 was to use the kill switch to turn the engine off. These 2 things will leave a good possibility of the rider finding their bike laying on its side with a dead battery when they return.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

See, I told you so. [sm=exactly.gif]

Old 11-02-2006, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

the dealer told me to use the key and not the kill switch to shut the bike down.Hey Deej, you must have a safe parking lot at work to just leave your key in the bike.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shelby

They taught us 2 bad habits in the MSF class I took. 1 was to put the bike in neutral before turning the engine off, and 2 was to use the kill switch to turn the engine off. These 2 things will leave a good possibility of the rider finding their bike laying on its side with a dead battery when they return.
I've never had a problem with the bike falling over because I was parked in neutral, but then I don't live in San Francisco. I did have a problem because the kick-stand sunk in the ground, however.

There seem to be a few other neutral related issues, too: kick-stand and cluch safety interlock switches.

I've never been too concerned, but with all this pre-occupation about neutral and safety, it makes you wonder about how paranoid those Swiss must be!!!

Old 11-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: poodlenuts

the dealer told me to use the key and not the kill switch to shut the bike down.Hey Deej, you must have a safe parking lot at work to just leave your key in the bike.

Well to tell you the truth in 11 years I have never taken my keys out of the ignition here at work, we only have 8 people working here and we are located 2 miles from town in a secluded spot. Here's a couple of pictures. Man I love my job.

I park the KLX by the shop and on the sidewalk so I can look out and see it anytime.
Name:  100_5285.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  62.7 KB

And when the weather is really nice I park it right outside my office.
Name:  100_5287.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  123.8 KB

Old 11-02-2006, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

edit, picture too large and can't resize[:@]

Old 11-02-2006, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

But you know you have a problem when your desk at home looks like this.[8D]

Name:  Picture_0139edited.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  92.7 KB

I guess I'm in a picture sharing mood so here are a few more. I forgot who made this for me but I kept it.......Sully was that you?
Name:  Highway-Sign-Deej.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  117.8 KB

A typical quad trail around here.
Name:  12.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  179.0 KB

Quick Reply: DEAD BATTERY!!!