Dead Batter

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Dead Batter

Like a bonehead I left my key in the on position for of the entire 3day holiday weekend. I know, I know.. i should have been out riding .

I bumpstarted it but it was so dead the computer would hardly stay on for longer than 20 seconds mostly flickering. Can I take it to a auto zone and have it recharged or am i better off just getting a new battery? And whats everyones favorite battery of choice?

Thanks

Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't you hate that you can't edit the title of your thread?

I would say you can recharge it. I would buy a battery maintainer and charge it myself if I were you. A battery tender is a good thing to have anyway. Keeps the battery fresh all the time. Make sure you get one with a low amp rating , I think 1 or 2 amps is all you want to charge your small mcy battery at. I have a black and decker battery tender Black & Decker Battery Maintainer BM3B
I like it a lot.

I did just have to buy new battery last summer and I got it from Batteries Plus. Reasonable price and I have been happy with it so far.
Dan

Old 07-08-2011, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Haha yah I tried to edit right away. I do have a batter (y) tender jr. its been sitting on for the last 2 days and still nothing when the key is turned on.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I would get a new one,that way you know you have a fresh...Batter

Old 07-08-2011, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Your better off riding your husky!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Your better off riding your husky!
Or wolf, if you're talking about the avatar...

If the "batter" tender isn't helping I guess I would take it to the Battery store. They should be able to test it and tell you if you have a dead cell or two. Sounds like it may be toast.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

No Husky as in Husqvarna. Seen that name in cafe husky....could be wrong alzhiemers moment duh

Old 07-08-2011, 03:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm so glad this wasn't about an unfortunate incident at a baseball game.

New battery for me, if this happened. I've had too many batteries cause me headaches out in the desert...I'd never trust it not to have some mossing or something that occurred. I don't have a brand I know to recommend...I always ask for the best glass matt type they have.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I wish I had a Husky, different illking. New batter for me it is.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Been there done that but not that long. Keep in mind when you bump start it dead you need to keep the revs up to be charging the battery otherwise at idle I dont think your getting much more than what you need to run if even that much. I saw the computer flickering when going to idle at stoplight and even had to rebump start before I came to complete stop.
I now try to make it a habit to NEVER use the kill switch to kill the engine. Thats how I stuffed up is killing the bike getting off and leaveing the key in and on, not noticing the headlight in daytime.
Cheers, jim

Quick Reply: Dead Batter