David Bailey interview- heartwrenching. You should watch this.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: David Bailey interview- heartwrenching. You should watch this.

I watched this already, saw it over on TT.... It didnt impact me that much, thats just like a famous nascar driver telling you to wear a fire suit and a 5 point harness.... But if you mess up bad enough nothing will help... you ride a motorcycle, there is a big chance of gettin badly hurt, or even killed. He was a racer so his chances were even higher... those motox guys get huge air, theres a good way to get hurt, jump wrong, land wrong.... To me.... this was kinda like, yea i know i can get hurt....

Old 02-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Found a perfect video for this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_4WYaJeQec

Call me stupid or what ever you want... but when its your time its your time......

Old 02-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Thanks for that. It's a wonder more people aren't injured in *X, though there are still too many, most we never hear about. It'd be great to see all the riders wearing that thing, they are going way too fast not to be wearing more protection than just a helmet and goggles.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:59 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

I watched this already, saw it over on TT.... It didnt impact me that much, thats just like a famous nascar driver telling you to wear a fire suit and a 5 point harness.... But if you mess up bad enough nothing will help... you ride a motorcycle, there is a big chance of gettin badly hurt, or even killed. He was a racer so his chances were even higher... those motox guys get huge air, theres a good way to get hurt, jump wrong, land wrong.... To me.... this was kinda like, yea i know i can get hurt....
Oh, I dunno. I think anything that affords extra protection for your back and spine can't be a bad thing. Let's take it to the other extreme. It's dangerous to ride a bike, period, butwould you ride without a helmet? I've watched guys riding sport bikes in Hawaii without a lid. I'm sorry, but when one of those guys splits his head open I can't just chalk-it-up to 'it was his time to go.' I have a ground-though hole in an old helmet to backthat up.Yours truly would not be posting here if it had not been for that $300.00 investment.

The videowasn'tincredibly 'moving' to meeither, but I think he delivers a good point. This gearis something that is relatively new and can evidently make a difference, so he's trying to make it mainstream in order to protectmoreriders. Might aswell devotesome time to something worthwhile now that he can't ride anymore.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

Oh, I dunno. I think anything that affords extra protection for your back and spine can't be a bad thing. Let's take it to the other extreme. It's dangerous to ride a bike, period, butwould you ride without a helmet? I've watched guys riding sport bikes in Hawaii without a lid. I'm sorry, but when one of those guys splits his head open I can't just chalk-it-up to 'it was his time to go.' I have a gound-though hole in an old helmet to backthat up.Yours truly would not be posting here if it had not been for that $300.00 investment.

The videowasn'tincredibly 'moving' to meeither, but I think he delivers a good point. This gearis something that is relatively new and can evidently make a difference, so he's trying to make it mainstream in order to protectmoreriders. Might aswell devotesome time to something worthwhile now that he can't ride anymore.
I think it has been like a year or two when they passed the law in PA that if you have had your motorcycle license for at least 2 years you dont have to wear a helmet.... I see guys all the time with out helmets, i probably see just as many guys with helmets as without..... Havent they figured out that the pavement is harder than thier head yet? Those Harley guys ( yes i said harley) that wear those "brain buckets" that just covers the top of thier head.... yea thats not much better.... ( I said harley because those are the kind of bikes that guys ride wearing those helmets)

Im surprised there has not been more people chiming in on this one...

Old 02-13-2007, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I think it has been like a year or two when they passed the law in PA that if you have had your motorcycle license for at least 2 years you dont have to wear a helmet.... I see guys all the time with out helmets, i probably see just as many guys with helmets as without..... Havent they figured out that the pavement is harder than thier head yet? Those Harley guys ( yes i said harley) that wear those "brain buckets" that just covers the top of thier head.... yea thats not much better.... ( I said harley because those are the kind of bikes that guys ride wearing those helmets)

Im surprised there has not been more people chiming in on this one...
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. I guess having the choice is more important thanlife to some people. I was completely floored to see entire groups of sport bike riders in Hawaii riding without lids.

It's probably time I got off my soapbox, so that this thread doesn't get too heated.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:34 PM

ORIGINAL: tremor38
It's probably time I got off my soapbox, so that this thread doesn't get too heated.
I don't think it will get too heated on this particular topic. I can't image an offroad rider of any sort that doesn't see the value of a helmet.

I usually bristle at the idea of the government legislating "common sense", so I guess I would generally oppose a required helmet law. With that said, though, I think that anyone that rides a motorcycle without a helmet is a moron.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Around here, there are basically 2 types of riders. There are thepeople who started out riding dirt bikes, then moved on to either dual-purpose or full-on street bikes and cruisers. They've taken hard spills before and know it hurts. These people almost always where a helmet and other gear. Then there are the people whose entire riding experience started the day they picked up their new 1800cc cruiser. I call these people the "harley-come-lately" crowd. They got a bike becausethey wanted to becool and everyone elsehad one. Generally, these people only where a helmet until they no longer legally have to.

I work with a guy (his first name is Mark) who used to rag me constantly about my "Darth Vader" helmet (a black Bell Moto-X) and how stupid I looked. He'd quote cliche's like "the only difference between wearing a helmet and not is an open or closed casket", and "real bikers have the wind in their hair". He'd also dick me about my DR650 being a "moped". At the time he didn't even have a bike, and had never riddenanything bigger than a Honda 90, although he gave the impression that he was Jeremy McGrath. His buddies all got cruisers and left him out of the reindeer games, so he decided to get one himself. But he didn't want to start out small - no sir, he wanted a cruiser that would put all of his buddies to shame. So he went out and bought a new Yamaha Roadstart Warrior cruiser. He hauled it home from the dealer, fired it up, and headed out of the driveway(without a helmet and without even a learner's permit). He didn't realize what it takes to make a 600lb. bike turn, or how fast an 80HP bike accelerates,and plowed right into the side of car parked across the street. He broke the driver's-side window with his face, and caused nearly $6K worth of damage. After getting out of the hospital, he sold the bike and never rode again. He also doesn't rag me anymore, since I gave him the nickname "Skid Mark" which now has stuck!

Old 02-13-2007, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang

Around here, there are basically 2 types of riders. There are thepeople who started out riding dirt bikes, then moved on to either dual-purpose or full-on street bikes and cruisers. They've taken hard spills before and know it hurts. These people almost always where a helmet and other gear. Then there are the people whose entire riding experience started the day they picked up their new 1800cc cruiser. I call these people the "harley-come-lately" crowd. They got a bike becausethey wanted to becool and everyone elsehad one. Generally, these people only where a helmet until they no longer legally have to.

I work with a guy (his first name is Mark) who used to rag me constantly about my "Darth Vader" helmet (a black Bell Moto-X) and how stupid I looked. He'd quote cliche's like "the only difference between wearing a helmet and not is an open or closed casket", and "real bikers have the wind in their hair". He'd also dick me about my DR650 being a "moped". At the time he didn't even have a bike, and had never riddenanything bigger than a Honda 90, although he gave the impression that he was Jeremy McGrath. His buddies all got cruisers and left him out of the reindeer games, so he decided to get one himself. But he didn't want to start out small - no sir, he wanted a cruiser that would put all of his buddies to shame. So he went out and bought a new Yamaha Roadstart Warrior cruiser. He hauled it home from the dealer, fired it up, and headed out of the driveway(without a helmet and without even a learner's permit). He didn't realize what it takes to make a 600lb. bike turn, or how fast an 80HP bike accelerates,and plowed right into the side of car parked across the street. He broke the driver's-side window with his face, and caused nearly $6K worth of damage. After getting out of the hospital, he sold the bike and never rode again. He also doesn't rag me anymore, since I gave him the nickname "Skid Mark" which now has stuck!
great story, great lesson, glad he was ok in the long run though. I have been riding and racing mountain bikes for years, I hate seeing guys on bikes without a helmet. Racing downhill mtb I wear full moto gear, full face helmet, chest protector, shin/knee protection. Same thing goes on, you see a guy with just a helmet and goggles and fore arms and shins that look like they were put through a meat grinder. Some guys wear bicycle full face helmets and wonder why they have had so many concussions, I only wear DOT helmets even on a bike when coming down a mountain. Helmet looks like crap, but my head is still ok, and my brain can function sometimes.

Quick Reply: David Bailey interview- heartwrenching. You should watch this.