Dan Moto Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are going to be doing any off-road riding, I don't see any mention of a spark arrestor in the muffler.
I'm not a big fan of mufflers that have to be repacked on a regular basis to keep the sound level down. Looks like you'll need a pop rivet gun to service this one.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 01-16-2014, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

from the sound for dan moto off road on a ninja 250r (forward to 09:10)
....it sounds pretty deep and loud....

the megabomb will reduce the sound a tad bit...

Last edited by ahnh666; 01-16-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
I disagree 100%, I have the stock header and it's a torque SOB, I run out of rpm around 8.5k rpm, but why would I want to spin it any higher?
iirc the dyno charts on this site show that a full exhaust extends the torque curve well beyond that of the stock exhaust, especially with the BB.

i would think that if you the engine was still pulling you would in fact rev it higher.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
iirc the dyno charts on this site show that a full exhaust extends the torque curve well beyond that of the stock exhaust, especially with the BB.

i would think that if you the engine was still pulling you would in fact rev it higher.
Bill blue has said it time and time again, they lost power with aftermarket header. The big bore in itself moves the torque curve lower in the rpm range. The klx is a torque motor, the 351 even more so, if I wanted a high rpm trail bike the wr250 is a perfect bike, but keeping it spun up so long is not my cup of tea.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:54 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Bill blue has said it time and time again, they lost power with aftermarket header. The big bore in itself moves the torque curve lower in the rpm range. The klx is a torque motor, the 351 even more so, if I wanted a high rpm trail bike the wr250 is a perfect bike, but keeping it spun up so long is not my cup of tea.
I kind of doubt that Bill tried every header made so his results may be specific to what he used.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I kind of doubt that Bill tried every header made so his results may be specific to what he used.
You are correct, he used fmf powerbomb compared to stock header I believe. But even if the header give you 1hp on top end performance without sacrificing low end torque, is the $200 worth it?

Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Matt,
Just wondering, when did BB say that over and over again? And how much difference? Thanks.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh come on IDRIDR don't bust my ***** :P I'm not going to search through the monsters threads made about the klx351 both on this site and advrider to post a link to one dyno graph, the info is there and has been said and posted and reposted that bill lost power with the aftermarket header compared to the stock header, the dyno charts are also there.

Edit, found one thread, you even posted in it https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...e2/#post482824 You even said it yourself "let's all remember we can't really compare different dynos on different days with different tires, etc. etc. etc. So these charts below don't mean squat when comparing torque and hp values between bikes" which I agree you are correct. I shouldn't have made the assumptions that I did.

What got my panties in a bunch was when it was said that with an aftermarket header I would experience "a torque curve well beyond that of the stock exhaust", which I just can't agree is possible.

Last edited by RockabillSlapMatt; 01-17-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Matt,
I'm not trying to bust any *****, honestly.
I just don't recall BB definitively saying anywhere that the stock header outperforms the PB or others. I try to follow this stuff because I'm interested. I have a PB, and I think it performs better for my setup, but maybe that's just because it looks cool and costs money. I really don't have any solid data either way. Also, I just don't recall any definitive evidence comparing a stock header to aftermarket on the same setup. And if BB did say it over and over, I somehow missed it and would be interested to see it. There's been numerous post claiming one's better than the other and all seat of the pants from what I recall.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 01-17-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Matt,
I'm not trying to bust any *****, honestly.
I just don't recall BB definitively saying anywhere that the stock header outperforms the PB or others. I try to follow this stuff because I'm interested. I have a PB, and I think it performs better for my setup, but maybe that's just because it looks cool and costs money. I really don't have any solid data either way. Also, I just don't recall any definitive evidence comparing a stock header to aftermarket on the same setup. And if BB did say it over and over, I somehow missed it and would be interested to see it. There's been numerous post claiming one's better than the other and all seat of the pants from what I recall.
I'm sorry, I'm used to sarcasm on forums I mistook your post, I don't remember quite where I saw bill say it, it might have been word of mouth from a customer, but I do recall seeing 2 dyno graphs on advrider, on with stock header on with aftermarket header. I suppose I assume he said it over and over again because I've seen those same dyno graphs on multiple forums.

Quick Reply: Dan Moto Exhaust?