Dads with Kids & Wife with Bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Dads with Kids & Wife with Bikes.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Definitely check out the flea market section over on www.advrider.com. Also www.newenough.com has a close outs section with plenty of stuff, check it regularly. Fox boots should run you under $80/pr for youth sizes. They aren't as nice as full on MX boots but they are very stiff and just below knee height in the adult sizes, I love mine and feel much better riding with them over workboots. I'm actually thinking about leaving a pair of shoes at the office so I can wear my "good" boots when riding to work.

Knee and elbow pads are sub $20 per pair, I just ordered a set of each from www.rockymountainatv.com.

Youth size MX helmets can also be had under $100 each.

Gloves are typically under $20 as well.

Goggles are a GREAT idea, I rode w/out them all the time as a kid and if it was a dry day it made for a miserable afternoon, can't see, eyes tearing up from the dust, and then the next day picking the hunks of crud out was always unpleasant. Also $20 ish/pair

There's the saying that you can't put a price on protection..........but at the same time, something is better than nothing. You can always upgrade the gear as the budget allows but at least start somewhere.

If you end up with work boots/hikers.......TUCK THE LACES IN! The last thing you want is to have someone snag a lace in the chain. The laces also can get snagged in the footpegs and cause tip overs when stopped.....don't ask me how I know that one

Old 03-20-2008, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

My kids don't ride, but if they did I'd have to be in the camp of full gear for all. If you can't afford the gear, you can't afford to ride. I'd consider minimal gear to be boots, helmet, goggles, gloves. Not saying everyone has to have Alpine Star Tech 10 boots and the most expensive Shoei helmets either. Protection wise, a $89 helmet is probably just as good as a $400 Shoei. And you don't really need fancy jersey's or pants, IMO, and the chest protectors are more roost guards than anything else - important when riders are kicking back rocks in a race or aggressive ride with your buddies, but not critical when trail riding with the family. With so much stuff on e-bay and Craigslist, one should be able to gear up the whole family without breaking the budget. Besides, non-matching gear looks cool.

And please don't forget those goggles. I had a real close call this past weekend. It was warm and had my visor up on my helmet for ventilation while doing a fast little loop in the woods and a sharp stiff stick poked right in there and jabbed me about an inch below my right eye. It jabbed hard enough that it cut through the skin fairly deeply and I had a nice stream of blood flowing. If it would have hit my eye, I'm pretty sure I would not be able to see right now. I let my guard down briefly and I got lucky. It could have easily gone very badly for me, I feel very fortunate to have vision in both eyes right now.

I agree. Everyone should be adequately protected at the least. My only point was when your getting multiple people into the sport then you have to get creative at first. That doesn'tmean skimping on safety. In my case, my 12 year old went from slow/casual trail riding toan intermediateMX track very quickly so as a result, the below image is him with the gear he ended up with by the end of his first season in the sport. Bear in mind that I couldn't afford all of this at first and I got most of the gear via ebay

Mike

Old 03-20-2008, 12:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Season 1 PicName:  still1.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  141.4 KB

Old 03-20-2008, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Agree that gear is essential. Which? Dont go crazy and buy all the latest brand gear to start with.
Well obviously at least a DOT full face helmet, we dont want to end up faceplanting like stunt girl.
Boots? once again if you cant afford 2nd hand moto boots then high ankled leather work boots are fine, just budget on getting some mx boots if the kids retain their interest level and increase the speed. The famous exhaust pipe burn to the leg is a rarity but a reality and I suffered one that counted, fortunately only 2nd deg above my mx boot, took me a little while to get the bike off, not long maybe 20 seconds and that was with 2 pairs of Levis on.
Always wear Gloves, the leather garden sort are better than none, just ask anyone who has waited for skin to grow back on their palms.
Goggles are needed when you start to move faster than 10mph but only get in the way when a kid is outright begining coz you cant see as much.
Knee and elbow pads help with confidence and prevent finding out why we have a funny bone or seeing our own cruciate ligaments.
Chest protectors are a bonus because the shoulder protection can help prevent a collarbone break.
Full armor is better and more comfortable around the waist and helps prevent stick penetration wounds as I found out last weekend. When you are fast enough to need roost protection you will know it.
The hip pads in mx pants today are not as effective as leathers used to be but still help. if anything adding another layer of HD foam to the hip pad can help.
Fit the bike with bar pads though, if you cant afford good ones use HD Aircon insulation and duct tape.
One thing I learned in competitive road racing is that the safety gear helps absorb the first touch, and thats the one that removes the flesh, 2nd bouce you are already slowing down.

Look out for your kids and dont shout from the sidelines, ride with them, let them ride in front, that way you are on the scene pretty quick when they have an off. Also you can show them a little fallibility when you off as well.

My son Jon at 13 learning to get air.
Then as they get better you can use better gear as milestones/rewards etc.
Good riding
Lee

Old 03-20-2008, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Great pic. Reminds me of a pic I snapped of my son on the kids track at Breezewood Proving Grounds in PA.Name:  jump1.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  96.9 KB

Old 03-20-2008, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1
More excuses huh there Mr. pedestrian?
Those who can, ride. Those you can't, make up excuses and lies.
Close but just a little off

Those who can ride, ride. Those whom can't, teach. or are just a pia on a forum.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a feeling that I was close.