Dads with Kids & Wife with Bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Dads with Kids & Wife with Bikes.

Hi All, A little off topic I know, but just wanted to drawer on some of you guys infinite wisdom.
I took the kids and the mrs out riding for the first time last weekend, It turns out that they ALL fell in love with it, we had a borrowed pw50 that they all putted around on, including the wife, plus my lovely KLX. We went out and bought our own pw50 and also a pw80, we are looking at aKLX 140 for the wife. My main concern is what gear they really need at this stage, they all have access to a helmet, either owned or borrowed, the mrs has pants top and own helmet. The kids all have a helmet but no other gear, just wondering what some of you guys with young kids would suggest for gear. They are 6, 8 and 11, I can't see them travelling at high speeds for the moment but are more still learning, It's already cost me a lot of $ for the bikes etc and I personally don't think at this stage that they need boots and pants etc... I make them wear jeans and solid shoes and a long sleeve top, can some of you guys with young kids offer any advice or suggestions?????

Cheers
Chris.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Dads with Kids & Wife with Bikes.

I'd say real MXboots are as important as a Helmet and Goggles.

When the kids drop the bike, they won't get burned by the pipe or get their shins hit by trail debris or their ankles twisted.

When learning to ride an off-road bike, until they learn to get their legs out, getting a leginjury is not fun.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

+1 boots

Old 03-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hoedogg

+1 boots
hahha,,, i scrolled past that fast and thaught it said *****..... lol.....

yea boots are important, and everytime i fall i seem to smash my knee... so id say knee guards.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

When I bought my 12 year old a CRF150 the dealer told me to just go to Wal Mart and get him some heavy duty boots. So I did and they worked fine. As the kids progress then you start buying equippment as you can afford it. My son progressed quickly and was getting up to higher speeds and more intense riding. So,by the end of the first season, my son has the whole setup: MX boots, pants, Jersey, and chest protector. The chest protector was neccessary in his case because we ride on extremely rocky terrain. So it really depends on what type of riding you're doing and what type of terrain you and your family will be riding on.

Starters:
Heavy duty boots
Gloves
Helmet
Goggles

That's what I did and everything worked out great.

Mike

Old 03-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

In order of importance.

Helmet
boots
goggles
gloves

Old 03-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

boots are imperative imo. wal-mart boots won't cut it when it comes to keeping a little leg from being twisted, smashed up,or burned by an exhaust that is sitting directly on their leg if they topple. also, they'll have steel-toes. a knee, ankle, or foot injury will last them their entire life. $75 for boots is just a drop in the bucket and you probably won't notice it at all but they will notice a smashed foot or injured knee. also, a SNELL approved helmet is better than just a DOT approved helmet. there is a huge difference in protection potential. these are just my preferences but I can tell you that through the years in MX racing even as a youngster that had I not had quality MX boots, goggles and a good Moto4 Bell helmet back when I was 15 and riding my KX80that I would have sustainedmuch more serious injuries.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

boots are imperative imo. wal-mart boots won't cut it when it comes to keeping a little leg from being twisted, smashed up,or burned by an exhaust that is sitting directly on their leg if they topple. also, they'll have steel-toes. a knee, ankle, or foot injury will last them their entire life. $75 for boots is just a drop in the bucket and you probably won't notice it at all but they will notice a smashed foot or injured knee. also, a SNELL approved helmet is better than just a DOT approved helmet. there is a huge difference in protection potential. these are just my preferences but I can tell you that through the years in MX racing even as a youngster that had I not had quality MX boots, goggles and a good Moto4 Bell helmet back when I was 15 and riding my KX80that I would have sustainedmuch more serious injuries.
So if it wasn't for that helmet of yours you would be really messed up? Even more? Sorry I just couldn't resist[8D][8D][8D]Now you know I'm just messing, I just saw an opportunity there and took it. Hehehe

Old 03-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

So if it wasn't for that helmet of yours you would be really messed up? Even more? Sorry I just couldn't resist[8D][8D][8D]Now you know I'm just messing, I just saw an opportunity there and took it. Hehehe
you got it. and then I had a near fatal crash in '96 on a sportbike where a Shoei X9 saved me, but I still thought I was married to a professional basketball player that first nighti in the hospitaland that my sister had robbed me. I was also yelling the word "7uck" at the top of my lungs in front of my mom in my hospital room. I had raccoon eyes with that brain swelling concussion.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

wow... married to a pro basket ball player.... strange.... some kinda fetish?lol dont wanna know.

Quick Reply: Dads with Kids & Wife with Bikes.